Sponsored Links

Free web space

I have 100 Mgb of free space from my ISP, Plusnet, which is now owned by BT.

Have just read that BT planned to cancel all free space back in 2012.

Did this actually take place?

And if it did is there a danger they may do the same thing to customers of Plusnet?

I need an additional 100 Mgb of web space for a big development I have in mind.

But these days it seems free space comes with monthly subs for the ISPs own software tools to create your web site & you loose your web pages if you cancel the contract!

So although no longer happy with the service provided by Plusnet I dare not leave!

Advice on where to get space without strings attached AND a good service would be really appreciated.

Holywell House
http://www.holywellhousepublishing.co.uk/index.html

Firstly it's 100MB for MegaBytes and not Mgb, whatever that is :).

Secondly PlusNet, while owned by BT, are technically independent of BT in many respects and so this is more a question for PlusNet themselves to answer. It also depends upon whether that "free" webspace you reference came with a paid product or some sort of free 0845 dialup from back in the day? Either way, PlusNet will be able to answer.

You can find plenty of free web hosts out there but generally if you're planning a proper project then I'd stump up just a few pounds a month and pay for a proper host, thus leaving your home connection free to switch ISPs or from any other future concerns.

Webspace that comes 'free' with ISP accounts is generally oversold, i.e. they have far less capacity than customers and rely on only a small proportion of them being active at the same time. Obviously, this is not always the case, and that's when your website grinds to a halt. Unfortunately, the same is true of a lot of budget hosting providers, so it pays to read independent reviews before you sign up. I have had a Cloud reseller account with Vidahost for a couple of years and can recommend them unconditionally.

Sponsored Links
I have 100 Mgb of free space from my ISP, Plusnet, which is now owned by BT.

Have just read that BT planned to cancel all free space back in 2012.

Did this actually take place?

And if it did is there a danger they may do the same thing to customers of Plusnet?

I need an additional 100 Mgb of web space for a big development I have in mind.

But these days it seems free space comes with monthly subs for the ISPs own software tools to create your web site & you loose your web pages if you cancel the contract!

So although no longer happy with the service provided by Plusnet I dare not leave!

Advice on where to get space without strings attached AND a good service would be really appreciated.

Holywell House
http://www.holywellhousepublishing.co.uk/index.html

You could try the Amazon Web Services free tier it provides enough resources to run your own virtual server in the cloud for a year (after which you have to pay as you go - or if you exceed the limits in a month they charge you excess).

https://www.digitalocean.com/ is pretty good if you need a server and will be using Crons, SSH etc. If you need cheap shared hosting, then http://111webhost.com/ is amazing value for money and they help you when you need it.

If you have quite a big project, then I would recommend going for digital ocean as the support and value for money is superb and it's recommended by a lot of big web developers.

If you had an account prior to the changes with PN then you get to keep it anyway which I am sure the OP has since discovered

Sponsored Links
I just pay £7 a month and get my own Kimsufi dedicated server, 2TB/4GB/100/100 can't really whinge at the price.

However, DigitalOcean is also fab i've got a grandfathered account.

holy-thread-resurrection-batman.jpg

Wow, sorry, for some reason totally missed the last reply before mine is from 2016.. geez.

Sorry for the noise. :D

Sponsored Links
If it's just a small, low traffic site then I'd recommend - freehostia.com

- Ad free
- 250MB Disk Space
- 6GB Monthly Traffic
- 10MB MySQL

It is no frills, but then again you get what you pay for! You can also upgrade if you want more features.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules