Sponsored Links

FTTC advice needed.

bukta

Casual Member
Hello all,

New here and need some help.

I have just moved in to a rural property that is attached to a FTTC cabinet by copper wire (5 telegraph poles approx 200 meters). Three other properties are also connected to said cabinet and are enjoying 60mbps.

All the service providers are quoting me adsl at 1mbps. When I tell them I am attached to FTTC they say I am not and am attached to a cabinet some distance away.

I have waked the telegraph poles and can see my wire join my neighbours linesand disappear into the FTTC.

Is there any reason why I can’t pull FTTC to my house from this cabinet? How do I go about it?

Thanks

The first thing I'd recommend doing is using the full address checker against your house and also that of your neighbours. It should tell you - near the top - exactly which cabinet you're connected to and the services available. This may help to show what's really going on..

It's also possible that, if you really are connected to an FTTC cabinet, then it may just be out of capacity for new lines.

Ok thanks.

just done the test and the result is that I am on cabinet 14 which is the one that is some distance away. As I can see that I have a physical connection to cabinet 27 (same as my neighbours) does this mean that cabinet 27 is fed by 14 and my wiring goes from 27 all the way back to 14?

Sponsored Links
So I don't know the area, but it could also be that you're connecting to a PCP cabinet rather than an FTTC cabinet. At a certain point premises do also get split between different cabinets at the edge of a coverage area, so the picture can sometimes be a little confused. This is particularly common in areas that were previously only served by exchange only lines (EOL) and then had to be re-engineering for FTTC, which can leave some areas split.

It all looks as clear as mud to me! Is there someone I can use to clarify? I think the frustrating part for me is that I know I am physically connected to a FTTC cabinet but can’t work out what’s happening beyond there. Service providers - computer says no, Openreach say raise it with service providers.

Ask your provider to raise a job to get the routing checked, the engineer should then be able to see if you are fed through 27 may have been added further down the line after 14 and the routing not updated to show this.

Once it’s been updated, you should then be able to speak to your provider to get a FTTC connection ordered.

Ask your provider to raise a job to get the routing checked, the engineer should then be able to see if you are fed through 27 may have been added further down the line after 14 and the routing not updated to show this.

Once it’s been updated, you should then be able to speak to your provider to get a FTTC connection ordered.
Thanks Openreach due on Weds. I’ll post the outcome.

Sponsored Links
Update...

Openreach arrived and heard me out. Reluctantly walked down the telegraph poles to trace our line into the FTTC cabinet (at this stage he was still sure we would branch off to the cabinet miles away as per their records). When we got down to the FTTC cabinet and they realised more than likely we were hooked up to the FTTC his attitude changed somewhat and he became more engaged. The cabinet was opened and they did a ping test on our line and hey presto we are connected inside the cabinet. He then made a few phone calls to routing at Openreach for them to update their records and advised me to contact our service provider and cease our line from the cabinet miles away and have it reinstated from the FTTC cabinet. (I’ve yet to spend an hour waiting to get through to sky and then trying to explain all this to someone, I might wait until I have a stiff drink inside me). For what it’s worth all the routing on the telegraph poles was also out of sink to what they had on their records.

Again I’ll update in due course...

This is turning out to be a flipping nightmare...rang sky on Thursday to cancel the line from cabinet 14 which they did. They also diary dated a call to me on Saturday to install a new line from cabinet 27 which is the one that Openreach confirmed that I am connected to. But computer says no. They can only sell me the same duff connection as I had before from cabinet 14 because their system can’t see that in reality I am connected to cabinet 27. Any one got any ideas how to circumnavigate this latest problem? The Openreach engineer called through to routing to make sure all their ducks were lined up before he left on Wednesday so I know this has been done.

Anybody any ideas how I progress from here?

just had the following from Openreach:-

Good afternoon Glenn,

Thank you for you email.

Our records sh0w that you current fibre line is served from cabinet 14 (not 27). If any openreach engineers have been out recently to test the route of your hone line, there is nothing on file to show any record of that.

If you are concerned about your current broadband speeds I would suggest you contact your broadband supplier directly. If they suspect that your phone line routes to a different cabinet, they can request for us to perform what we call a pair prove to trace your cables, but that is not something we normally do and would need your supplier to request it with us if they thought it was necessary.

As for the ongoing fibre to the premises (FTTP) project - FTTP does not route through any of our cabinets. It is a direct link from you home all the way back to your local telephone exchange with no cabinet terminations required.

I hope that helps clarify the situation.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules