Sponsored

FTTC availability.

deepdishdj

Hello.

I have moved into a brand new house on a brand new estate and the cab I am connected to has been enabled for FTTC and my exchange (Dalkeith) has Eclipse internet as well. Until yesterday the bt address checker did not recognise my address because it is a brand new house and gave me an estimated adsl2+ speed of around 6meg even though I was 99% sure I could get FTTC at my address.I checked yesterday and the address is now showing on the address checker and says FTTC is available but the post code checker says it is not.

Which one should I believe? I have contacted bt and they were no help at all.

Bob2002

ULTIMATE Member
Sometimes it's simply a case of waiting(not much help I know) until the BT databases are all fully up to date. It can also be the case that a postcode is only partially covered by FTTC. :hrmph:

deepdishdj

I get what your saying but something must have changed because up until yesterday both post code and address checkers were not recognising my address but now the address checker does. Previous to this my post code brought up some of my neighbours addresses and showed that all of those houses were able to get FTTC. Only eight houses have been built so far on the estate and one road leads in and the same road leads out and my house is the closest to the cab. I know that this does not definitely mean that the copper cable runs a direct line but I would imagine that it it would run true to the course of the road.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
In this situation you need to ask your ISP to do the leg work and find out on your behalf as they should be able to put in a proper query to identify the current coverage. At least they will unless their staff aren't clever enough to do anything more than a basic check.

deepdishdj

I have been having a back and forth with bt for the last month trying to get a definitive answer but to no avail. I received an email last week from them saying to wait until my phone line has been installed and check then which kind of leaves me in broadband limbo.

That's when I decided to go with eclipse as they have a good rep and they are the best isp available at my exchange. I was with BE when I was living in the city but they are not available here which is a shame as I like the level of customer service that BE had always given me.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
When I moved into my new flat we also had to wait for the BT line to be installed first before doing anything, although I expected that as at the time Sky weren't doing their own phone line rental installs. It then took several months before ISPs could even identify the line and so we had to get it all organised over the phone as none of the online checkers were much help.

Sadly it's quite normal to have these hassles.

deepdishdj

Well bt address checker now recognises my house and gives me this info when put into the wholesale checker.

Your broadband checker results
Broadband option Broadband speed range Earliest you could get it Action
BT Infinity Superfast fibre optic broadband Superfast fibre optic broadbandGreat news! You are eligible for superfast BT Infinity. 44.8Mb download
8.0Mb upload Now

But the post code checker alone says i can only get adsl2+. I am a little confused at the mo and trying to get an answer on way or another from bt is not easy. I don't know why they are being so secretive about the info.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Postcode checks are generally pretty useless, although your results are certainly very odd. Sadly actual FTTC coverage is measured at cabinet (street) level and so you really need the line to be installed before BT can estimate whether or not you'd be within reach.

deepdishdj

I have been having a little rant on the bt forums with various people and I don't know if they are just trying to draw me into an argument. I think I will just have to accept that I will need to wait until my phone line goes live.

Mark you mentioned that it took isp's several months until they recognised you line. This does not fill me with joy as I can see this process dragging into the spring until I get broadband. To make things worse when I arranged to get my phone line installed I never knew that I had to ask for a sim code to be able to place an order and am now being told I would need to cancel the order and take out a new one in order to get a sim code..................................sigh.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
I should clarify that online phone line checkers may take a while to recognize the line as their databases will not be immediately in sync with BT's, although you can usually phone an ISP to explain the situation and they should be able to find out. On the other hand some bigger providers aren't terribly helpful in this matter.

Mark2

Top Member
I agree that it's absolutely ludicrous in this day and age that you can't just move into a modern housing estate, indeed, just about anywhere in any major town, and expect modern broadband services along with a definitive answer as to availability before you move. The UK has always been like this. But then my views on the farce that is UK broadband are well known ;)

The reason you're getting random results is that a single cabinet might cover three postcode areas. Lets say there's a 40%/50%/10% split across the three postcode areas. If you search by postcode, I assume it just goes on the 50% one and so makes a guess - the Wholesale checker does say that postcode results are not accurate and that's why.

Likewise Virgin Media's cable service might well cover a postcode, but, not the street you live in, though their checker is a bit more effective and if your address comes up in the drop down list as you work through the checker it's a good sign. But it can still go horribly wrong at a later stage in a small number of cases as have been documented before.

Address checks aren't necessarily effective either because until the phone line is installed, the checker doesn't know which cabinet you'll be served by, so you can't know for certain until you've bought the house, moved in and had a phone line installed when you don't even want a phone line, you just want a broadband service.

So I feel your pain.

deepdishdj

Again thank everybody for posting.

I had my bt phone line installed more than 2 days ago and as yet nothing on the bt dsl checker. It keeps saying to give it 24 hours which I have and still no dice:confused:.

I used a website to determine what cab I was connected to, cant remember what it was but it gave me a 100% result for the cab at the end of the street.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • NOW £22.00 (*32.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • TalkTalk £22.00 (*29.95)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £22.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: HYPERSPRING
  • Plusnet £22.99 (*36.52)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Reward Card
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £24.00 (*44.00)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Offer Code: SPRUCE20
  • Vodafone £26.00 (*29.00)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £28.00 (*44.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £29.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: HYPERSPRING
  • TalkTalk £29.95 (*39.95)
    Speed: 145Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3216)
  2. BT (2926)
  3. Building Digital UK (1852)
  4. FTTC (1851)
  5. Politics (1833)
  6. Openreach (1750)
  7. Business (1591)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1374)
  9. FTTH (1358)
  10. Statistics (1351)
  11. 4G (1184)
  12. Fibre Optic (1129)
  13. Wireless Internet (1108)
  14. Virgin Media (1102)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1100)
  16. EE (786)
  17. Vodafone (778)
  18. TalkTalk (736)
  19. Sky Broadband (714)
  20. 5G (669)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules