Sponsored Links

"FTTC being Activated, live due by November 2018"

bagospanners

Casual Member
On our estate we can presently get ~5Mbps ADSL. There are no alternatives available so we're keen for FTTC to make an appearance ASAP.

For a while it looked like it would never happen, but - joy - our FTTC new cabinet was fitted in May 2018. But since then we've been waiting .. and waiting since for any news. I'm checking CodeLook here daily:

Which tells me "FTTC being Activated, live due by November 2018".

When I've quizzed them over the past few months Openreach have said stuff like "very soon now", but there's never any sign of action. Or any way to tell where we're up to and what the delay is. Any ideas what's going on? Is it normal sit in the activation phase for months on end?

What complicates matters a bit is that our area (Bearsden) has been selected as a "fibre first" FTTP area, so the https://www.scotlandsuperfast.com/ checker isn't even interested in telling me our FTTC status. It only wants to say that FTTP is "in scope".

Regards

Sadly we have seen quite a few 12-18 month style time lags between a new cabinet being installed and it going live, so that isn't too uncommon. My own cabinet was also installed about 13 months before the service itself actually became available to order.

The reasons can be many and varied, albeit probably more to do with an issue of power or capacity at a different location on the way to your cab. Sometimes locals can also object to the position of a cabinet, which can cause delays.

Sponsored Links
Still no movement, but OR have been laying fibre on the estate this week. I wonder what happens when FTTP overtakes FTTC? Do I have to choose between wonky £25/mo 5Mbps ADSL or £60/mo 130Mbps FTTP?

Still no movement, but OR have been laying fibre on the estate this week. I wonder what happens when FTTP overtakes FTTC? Do I have to choose between wonky £25/mo 5Mbps ADSL or £60/mo 130Mbps FTTP?
No some ISPs are doing the 80/20 approach to FTTP making it affordable to everyone

The recent consultations on future copper withdrawal suggested a cheaper legacy FTTP product as a way to help bridge the gap. Talk was about this being similar to the FTTC 40/10 tier. But of course it's early days and they won't make it ultra-cheap as there's still a hefty investment case to balance.

Their are ISP's offering FTTP on the lower tiers like 40/10 and 55/10 - for example BT Infinity 1 is available in FTTP areas.

Sponsored Links
Despite the endless digging, there still no sign of fibre being available to order in our area (Bearsden) but in the meanwhile it's been discovered that our neighbour's phone setup had a faulty cable. This was apparently shafting the whole cabinet... consequently our ADSL speed has shot up from a highly variable 5M to a solid 7.5M.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5468)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules