Sponsored Links

FTTC Broadband speed reduced from 80mbps in 2016 to 16mbps in 2024 (caution: wall of text)

Switxh

Casual Member
I originally got fibre to the cabinet in 2016 with Plusnet when it first became available and was getting speeds upto 80mbps with a guaranteed speed of 66mbps but gradually over the years the speeds had dropped significantly. I think I was out of contract with Plusnet since before the pandemic too I just didn't get around to renewing it so I thought maybe that's why my speeds are so bad. Afterall I don't think they have to uphold the guaranteed speed if the contract has expired. I was still paying ofcourse, I just didn't renew.

I decided to switch from Plusnet because they were in the news for the nationwide outages that affected me ontop of the multiple outages I was experiencing daily already. The problem now is that I switched to Sky and they wouldn't sell me anything faster than the "Superfast 35" package. And the guaranteed speed they gave me is 12mbps. They insist this is the fastest possible I can get at my address. But I don't understand how that can be possible when I had upto 80mbps with Plusnet with a guarantee of 66mpbs AND I'm only 170 meters from the cabinet. I can see it from my front door. And according to BT wholesale I'm on cabinet 4 and the cabinet lookup on telecom-tariffs confirms the one within 170m of my house IS cabinet 4. So I'm within the optimal distance of the cabinet to achieve the highest end that FTTC can put out which is around 80mpbs.

All I get when I speak to Sky or anyone adjacent to them is "this is the best speed you can get. It depends on distance to the cabinet blah blah blah blah" but I know the distance to the cabinet isn't the issue because I'm actually close to it AND I was getting the top end speeds YEARS ago with Plusnet at the same address on the same master socket. Can anyone please enlighten me on what could possibly have changed to cause such a reduction in speeds? I've checked all my internal wiring. Done the usual plugging into the test socket for a few days to see it the sync improves. Nothing seems to fix these dire speeds and it's really frustrating talking to what are essentially robots spewing the same thing they say to everyone and they they see no issue with my line. Surely the fact it's gone from 80mpbs to 15mbps in itself is an issue? Or am I just crazy? It feels like I'm using DSL again.

The spoiler is the reference for the speeds I should expect at a distance of 170m from the cabinet. Even if I was twice that, I should still be getting over 70mbps.

fttc speeds.png

Maybe the capacity of the cabinet is already being heavily utilised by the other customers on the same cabinet and so they're only offering you those speeds.

If FTTC is the highest technology available at your address, maybe consider getting a 5G service from the likes of Three and try that out instead. You could get speeds well into the hundreds (you also might not). Worth a try.

You can have a look on www.bidb.uk and see if there are any alternative FTTP providers in your area that have launched. Will give a far superior experience compared to FTTC if available.

Situation is not great that you're in now, but nothing you do is going to affect that so you should vote with your feet.

I originally got fibre to the cabinet in 2016 with Plusnet when it first became available and was getting speeds upto 80mbps with a guaranteed speed of 66mbps but gradually over the years the speeds had dropped significantly.
To what speed did it fall, exactly? Do you have screenshots of the modem stats? What does the BT wholesale broadband checker give as your predicted range?

Have you actually moved to Sky yet, or are you still on Plusnet?

What *actual* modem speeds are you getting right now? (That's as measured by the modem stats, not a speedtest). The fact that Sky will only "guarantee" 12Mbps doesn't mean that you'll actually get 12Mbps.

Do you still have dialtone on the line (probably not if you changed provider after Sep 2023)? If you do, can you plug in a phone and see if you hear crackle? You can dial 17070 to get a quiet line test.
I think I was out of contract with Plusnet since before the pandemic too I just didn't get around to renewing it so I thought maybe that's why my speeds are so bad. Afterall I don't think they have to uphold the guaranteed speed if the contract has expired. I was still paying ofcourse, I just didn't renew.
That doesn't make sense. The line speed is negotiated automatically between the DSLAM in the cabinet and your modem. Nothing would have changed at contract renewal time, and most likely the guaranteed speed would have maintained. (What exact guaranteed speed did Plusnet give you? Did your actual speed ever go below that value? If so, did you ever report it to them?)

The fact that you are 170m from the cabinet doesn't mean that the line length is 170m. Often it takes a very circuitous routing. I believe it's possible for your ISP to do a wholesale line test which, amongst other things, returns a line length measurement.

One thing which can reduce your speed significantly is crosstalk, as more and more people move to FTTC. You can read about it here:

However, if you were getting 66M before, and you are getting 12M now (although as I said above, I don't think this is what you're claiming) then probably it would be degradation of the copper, like a bad joint, or perhaps complete disconnection of one leg of the copper, although I'd expect that to have been a sudden drop.
I decided to switch from Plusnet because they were in the news for the nationwide outages that affected me ontop of the multiple outages I was experiencing daily already.
Unfortunately that was a bad move if you have problems with your copper. It's the same copper line whichever provider you use. But if you change provider and they inherit bad wiring, they're more likely to say that's just the condition of your line and there's nothing you can do about it.

How much are you prepared to pay to dig yourself out of this hole? If you switch to AAISP they are very good at getting copper problems fixed. They are expensive, so work out how much more expensive it would be to take 1 year of AAISP instead of Sky, and see if you're prepared to pay the extra (you can always switch to another ISP later).

This only works if you haven't signed a contract with Sky yet. If you have signed a contract, then you've agreed that 12Mbps is what they will provide, so you'll have to wait out the whole 2 years (or pay a very expensive exit fee).

Sponsored Links
To what speed did it fall, exactly? Do you have screenshots of the modem stats? What does the BT wholesale broadband checker give as your predicted range?

Have you actually moved to Sky yet, or are you still on Plusnet?

What *actual* modem speeds are you getting right now? (That's as measured by the modem stats, not a speedtest). The fact that Sky will only "guarantee" 12Mbps doesn't mean that you'll actually get 12Mbps.

Do you still have dialtone on the line (probably not if you changed provider after Sep 2023)? If you do, can you plug in a phone and see if you hear crackle? You can dial 17070 to get a quiet line test.

That doesn't make sense. The line speed is negotiated automatically between the DSLAM in the cabinet and your modem. Nothing would have changed at contract renewal time, and most likely the guaranteed speed would have maintained. (What exact guaranteed speed did Plusnet give you? Did your actual speed ever go below that value? If so, did you ever report it to them?)

The fact that you are 170m from the cabinet doesn't mean that the line length is 170m. Often it takes a very circuitous routing. I believe it's possible for your ISP to do a wholesale line test which, amongst other things, returns a line length measurement.

One thing which can reduce your speed significantly is crosstalk, as more and more people move to FTTC. You can read about it here:

However, if you were getting 66M before, and you are getting 12M now (although as I said above, I don't think this is what you're claiming) then probably it would be degradation of the copper, like a bad joint, or perhaps complete disconnection of one leg of the copper, although I'd expect that to have been a sudden drop.

Unfortunately that was a bad move if you have problems with your copper. It's the same copper line whichever provider you use. But if you change provider and they inherit bad wiring, they're more likely to say that's just the condition of your line and there's nothing you can do about it.

How much are you prepared to pay to dig yourself out of this hole? If you switch to AAISP they are very good at getting copper problems fixed. They are expensive, so work out how much more expensive it would be to take 1 year of AAISP instead of Sky, and see if you're prepared to pay the extra (you can always switch to another ISP later).

This only works if you haven't signed a contract with Sky yet. If you have signed a contract, then you've agreed that 12Mbps is what they will provide, so you'll have to wait out the whole 2 years (or pay a very expensive exit fee).
Thanks for taking the time to respond. No dialtone I have digital voice. Yes I am actually on Sky and have been for nearly 2 weeks. Speed measured at the hub with Sky is between 15-16mbps. Speeds I was getting with Plusnet ACTUAL SPEEDS to my devices when using a basic speed test (Plusnet router didn't show speeds) were always well over 60 and into the 70mbps range when I originally got fibre. As I said, over the years that declined drastically.

To me it does make sense to assume the reason I was never given a new guaranteed speed BECAUSE I never renewed my contract with Plusnet. I was no longer entitled to the guaranteed speed as I was out of contract. I don't think you can sign up for a 2 year contract then hold them to the agreement OUTSIDE of that 2 years. That wouldn't make any sense.

As soon as I went to renew, they only offered 12mbps guaranteed speed. The guaranteed speed I got when I originally signed up in 2016 was 66mbps. So ontop of the outages I was personally experiencing, and the nationwide outages from Plusnet, and the terrible speeds offered I decided to leave.

Yes I am claiming I had a guaranteed speed of 66mbps before now all I can get is guaranteed 12mbps. Real world speeds measured on devices have gone from in the 70mbps range to anything from 6-15mbps depending on if anyone else is using the internet.

No one I spoke to would give me better guaranteed speeds. I chose Sky because I already have TV with them and I wasn't going to continue paying Plusnet a ridiculous amount of money for a terrible service. According to everyone, there is no problems with my line. Customer service for all these ISPs is terrible. They all spill the same script about distance from cabinet, and how they don't own the lines and there's nothing they can do. 12mpbs is apparently totally acceptable guaranteed speed and I'm crazy for thinking otherwise. Despite that fact I was on internet over 5x faster 8 years ago. On the exact same setup.

Sorry if I sound ranty it's just frustrating when they act like I'm somehow responsible for BT's lines that they so proudly tell you not to touch because they own them but won't come and fix them when there's obvious issues and the only option is to have no internet or pay for the shitty service that is now on offer.

Attachment is some relevant router stats regarding the signal strength.

Attachments

• router stats 3.png
    router stats 3.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 39
It would be helpful if you had the stats from the Plusnet connection but if your line distance is only 170m and you used to be able to get 80Mbps then you have a fault. The problem I guess is Sky might be reluctant to do anything about it if you are above the minimum they predicted when you joined.

All I can suggest is maybe unplugging the line a lot to have DLM completely ruin the sync rate which may then get Sky to book an engineer.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. No dialtone I have digital voice. Yes I am actually on Sky and have been for nearly 2 weeks. Speed measured at the hub with Sky is between 15-16mbps. Speeds I was getting with Plusnet ACTUAL SPEEDS to my devices when using a basic speed test (Plusnet router didn't show speeds) were always well over 60 and into the 70mbps range when I originally got fibre. As I said, over the years that declined drastically.
You haven't said *to what* they dropped on Plusnet - but you've shown you're getting sync speeds of 16.5 down / 10 up on Sky, so I'd expect Plusnet would have been similar.
As soon as I went to renew, they only offered 12mbps guaranteed speed. The guaranteed speed I got when I originally signed up in 2016 was 66mbps.
OK, so Plusnet were offering you a guaranteed speed at renewal based on the condition of your line *at that time*

Please can you do a BT wholesale broadband check on your line, and post the results (minus your address/phone number of course). And try it for a couple of neighbours either side of you.

The copper estimate from BTW *does* take into account actual observed speeds on your line, so if your line has been getting worse, this feeds back into lower guaranteed speeds. But if your neighbours have much higher estimates and/or observed speeds, then this can make a case for your line being faulty.

Have you asked Sky to perform a line test? If they do, it might report a fault. If it doesn't, then unfortunately that doesn't help.

Having *accepted* a 12Mbps minimum speed guarantee by signing a new contract, unfortunately it becomes very hard to argue your case now, unless the line degrades much further. (If it does, and they come out to repair it, they may find the underlying fault and you'll get your full speed again)
So ontop of the outages I was personally experiencing, and the nationwide outages from Plusnet, and the terrible speeds offered I decided to leave.
There's no operator that doesn't occasionally have a nationwide outage, and Plusnet are probably one of the better ones.

The "terrible speed" was due to Openreach, not Plusnet, since Plusnet's quoted speed guarantee would have been based on the copper estimate from Openreach/BT Wholesale. The feedback loop of a bad line giving bad measured speed which in turn feeds into lower estimates is most likely what's biting you here, unfortunately.

You haven't said *to what* they dropped on Plusnet - but you've shown you're getting sync speeds of 16.5 down / 10 up on Sky, so I'd expect Plusnet would have been similar.

OK, so Plusnet were offering you a guaranteed speed at renewal based on the condition of your line *at that time*

Please can you do a BT wholesale broadband check on your line, and post the results (minus your address/phone number of course). And try it for a couple of neighbours either side of you.

The copper estimate from BTW *does* take into account actual observed speeds on your line, so if your line has been getting worse, this feeds back into lower guaranteed speeds. But if your neighbours have much higher estimates and/or observed speeds, then this can make a case for your line being faulty.

Have you asked Sky to perform a line test? If they do, it might report a fault. If it doesn't, then unfortunately that doesn't help.

Having *accepted* a 12Mbps minimum speed guarantee by signing a new contract, unfortunately it becomes very hard to argue your case now, unless the line degrades much further. (If it does, and they come out to repair it, they may find the underlying fault and you'll get your full speed again)

There's no operator that doesn't occasionally have a nationwide outage, and Plusnet are probably one of the better ones.

The "terrible speed" was due to Openreach, not Plusnet, since Plusnet's quoted speed guarantee would have been based on the copper estimate from Openreach/BT Wholesale. The feedback loop of a bad line giving bad measured speed which in turn feeds into lower estimates is most likely what's biting you here, unfortunately.
With Plusnet the speeds gradually over the years dropped to the same I'm getting now. Like 9-15mbps real world speeds. I couldn't check speed at the hub for Plusnet. And I understand that it is Openreach who manage the lines believe me I've been told that 100s of times now by various people trying to pass the blame around and get me to go away.

Sky performed a line test and told me there's nothing wrong with it. Which suggests either extreme incompetence, or they just don't want to spent the time to book it to get sorted. "Nothing we can do" onto the next phone call to meet their bonuses.

I don't think they actually update those speed estimates on the BT wholesale test. They're the same as what they were years ago. And yeah I've spent ages putting in neighbours addresses and other peoples addresses from my area and the BT wholesale results are identical for everyone I try in my area. It says High 80 and low 69 for even an IMPACTED line. Doesn't matter who's address from around me I put in, I get the same results.

I have done the BT wholesale address checker and posted attached it. I can't use my phone number because it no longer works. I said I didn't want it anymore when they asked because I never use it and it's never plugged in.

Attachments

• bt wholesale 2.jpg
    bt wholesale 2.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 53
Sponsored Links
I've spent ages putting in neighbours addresses and other peoples addresses from my area and the BT wholesale results are identical for everyone I try in my area.
... except yourself, or including yourself?
It says High 80 and low 69 for even an IMPACTED line. Doesn't matter who's address from around me I put in, I get the same results.
Then that's your best bet for trying to get a fault raised. The problem is trying to get Sky to send out an engineer, if you're above your guaranteed speed.

I have done the BT wholesale address checker and posted attached it. I can't use my phone number because it no longer works.
Doing it via the address checker is fine. The only issue is that you might not get "observed" speeds (although I've not had FTTC for a while, and I don't know if the checker still shows those).

But hang on... is that for *your* line? It shows a handback threshold of 67 or 60Mbps.

In that case, I don't understand where Sky or Plusnet would have got the figure of 12Mbps from then, unless perhaps they were able to see the 'observed' speeds on your line.

It's possible there's a problem with addressing. When you enter your postcode, does the address checker show two possible addresses for your property? Have you tried them both?

... except yourself, or including yourself?

Then that's your best bet for trying to get a fault raised. The problem is trying to get Sky to send out an engineer, if you're above your guaranteed speed.

Doing it via the address checker is fine. The only issue is that you might not get "observed" speeds (although I've not had FTTC for a while, and I don't know if the checker still shows those).

But hang on... is that for *your* line? It shows a handback threshold of 67 or 60Mbps.

In that case, I don't understand where Sky or Plusnet would have got the figure of 12Mbps from then, unless perhaps they were able to see the 'observed' speeds on your line.

It's possible there's a problem with addressing. When you enter your postcode, does the address checker show two possible addresses for your property? Have you tried them both?
Yes including my own address. The one I attached is from my address. I also have no idea where they get the 12mbps guaranteed speed from. And yeah when I enter my postcode into the BTW address checker multiple addresses show up. I counted twenty. I thought it was normal for multiple addresses to share a post code? I haven't tried all 20 but I've tried 6 or 7 of them and they all give the same result as my own personal address. The numbers don't change at all.

I've done address checks before and people always say they can't see why I am offered such a low guaranteed speed. Sky did a "line check" for me and said it shows no faults.

I must mention, before I switched to Sky I was experiencing daily drops with Plusnet sometimes upto 10 times pre day. Switching to Sky did actually resolve this problem. Which I find notable because if the drops were due to my line surely they would have followed me from Plusnet to Sky? I don't know either way but it seemed relevant.

I had a similar issue with my BT FTTC line which was rated at around 65Mbps but from the start I was only getting 40/10 which I suspect was some configuration issue but trying to get BT to fix it was getting nowhere so I just stuck with it.

At some point the speed started dropping and finished at 14/10 which I spent some time trying to sort and didn't get anywhere, it would sync at 40Mbps but it would keep resyncing getting slower each time until it stabilised at 14Mbps. It would stay at that speed for around a week then go back up to 40Mbps briefly and drop.

I lived with it for a while and then had another go making changes to my equipment and some other stuff but with no success so tried to raise it as an issue but I had a similar problem to you, the BT ADSL checker site now showed the line speed for the phone number as 14Mbps. So BT support wouldn't take it on at all because they said they're delivering the speed the line is rated at regardless of the fact it's far below what it used to be and our neighbours.

Thankfully CityFibre FTTP came along so I was able to ditch the FTTC connection.

I had a similar issue with my BT FTTC line which was rated at around 65Mbps but from the start I was only getting 40/10 which I suspect was some configuration issue but trying to get BT to fix it was getting nowhere so I just stuck with it.

At some point the speed started dropping and finished at 14/10 which I spent some time trying to sort and didn't get anywhere, it would sync at 40Mbps but it would keep resyncing getting slower each time until it stabilised at 14Mbps. It would stay at that speed for around a week then go back up to 40Mbps briefly and drop.

I lived with it for a while and then had another go making changes to my equipment and some other stuff but with no success so tried to raise it as an issue but I had a similar problem to you, the BT ADSL checker site now showed the line speed for the phone number as 14Mbps. So BT support wouldn't take it on at all because they said they're delivering the speed the line is rated at regardless of the fact it's far below what it used to be and our neighbours.

Thankfully CityFibre FTTP came along so I was able to ditch the FTTC connection.
Thanks for your input yeah I have seen other similar stories to yours and mine but I've never found a clear answer as to why it happens. If there's nothing that can physically be done to fix it then fine, but I find it strange that they are so hush hush about it all and just fob everyone off with "that is the rated speed of your line" and you come back with "okay but why was it rated 5x higher 6 years ago?" and they can't give you an answer. I just want to know why it's so bad now so I know whether there's any point still complaining about it or just wait till my area gets full FTTP.

I am not optimistic about getting real FTTP though I suspect they will try and palm some SOGEA crap on us which is basically the same as regular slow FTTC providing you are using the old BT copper cables, which I would be because I'm not allowed to just take them down.
My exchange area IS marked on the Openreach map which shows their full FTTP expansion plans which are mapped out in relation to each exchange (not cabinet), but it's keyed with "black" which means it is in their plans, but not within the next 12 months. They are doing areas around me right now though. They've done the town and villages on one side of me and they're in progress on the town the other side of me. So I'm hoping they will be able to get it done when it comes time. I am just worried because I have heard stories of Openreach coming through and doing like 90% of an area then just leaving a culdesac or road without because of some inconvenience during the deployment. Knowing my luck, that will happen to me as I live on a footpath with no vehicle access.

Sponsored Links
And yeah when I enter my postcode into the BTW address checker multiple addresses show up. I counted twenty. I thought it was normal for multiple addresses to share a post code?
I meant, are there multiple address entries for *your* property? Sometimes the same property will show more than one, and that can lead to various problems.

Also, do you have (or ever had, to your knowledge) multiple phone lines to your property?
I must mention, before I switched to Sky I was experiencing daily drops with Plusnet sometimes upto 10 times pre day. Switching to Sky did actually resolve this problem. Which I find notable because if the drops were due to my line surely they would have followed me from Plusnet to Sky? I don't know either way but it seemed relevant.
When your service was reprovisioned on Sky, it may have reset the Dynamic Line Management, which may now take a more pessimistic value of the quality of your line, depressing the speed further but reducing the dropouts.

I see you have a 12dB signal-to-noise ratio on your line, which is quite high; if the line was stable, it would increase the speed to reduce the SNR target towards 6dB or eventually 3dB.

I meant, are there multiple address entries for *your* property? Sometimes the same property will show more than one, and that can lead to various problems.

Also, do you have (or ever had, to your knowledge) multiple phone lines to your property?

When your service was reprovisioned on Sky, it may have reset the Dynamic Line Management, which may now take a more pessimistic value of the quality of your line, depressing the speed further but reducing the dropouts.

I see you have a 12dB signal-to-noise ratio on your line, which is quite high; if the line was stable, it would increase the speed to reduce the SNR target towards 6dB or eventually 3dB.
Oh sorry I misunderstood, there is only one entry for my house number when I enter my postcode. My house DID used to be two houses. Upstairs was a separate tennant from downstairs. But this was in atleast the 1990s before we moved in.

Now the house numbers go (for example) 1,2,3,5. And there is no entry for the house that used to be shared with my property (number 4 in this example) on the BTW address finder.

I don't think there was ever two separate telephone lines but I could be wrong. As it stands, the master socket is actually upstairs, and there is a slave downstairs. It may well have been two separate lines at one point but it isn't that way anymore. This has been the way it was always setup as long as we've lived here. The router is plugged in upstairs where it gets the best speeds because that's the master socket that the BT telephone line comes into the back of. We were running it on the slave downstairs for years though it's just I moved it because of all the issues. It's all solid core old af wire so can't be good for speeds. It looks like it's aluminium wire too. It's silver.

And yeah my noise ratio actually goes up and down which I'm not sure if it's normal or an indication of any fault but it will go between 8db to 12db on both up and down. There's no real rhyme or reason, sometimes the SNR on down will be about even with the SNR on up, then sometimes one will be high at around 12db and the other will be low at around 8db. This happens to both the up and down noise margins but I guess it could be the weather? I'm not 100% sure what affects it other than things like quality of the cabling and the connections between various points.

Solid core is the correct type. I don't know what "af wire" is, but if it's aluminium that's not great.

Weather could have an effect especially on a bad joint. If your loop has a bad or missing connection on one leg, it will basically act like one big antenna instead of a balanced pair, and it will pick up all sorts of interference.

You changed from a Plusnet router to a Sky one at the same time, it's likely one can hold a bad line and the other couldn't.

Solid core is the correct type. I don't know what "af wire" is, but if it's aluminium that's not great.

Weather could have an effect especially on a bad joint. If your loop has a bad or missing connection on one leg, it will basically act like one big antenna instead of a balanced pair, and it will pick up all sorts of interference.
My bad. "af" as in "as ****" I was saying "old as **** wire" because it's the old white and orange kind. But yeah unfortunately it appears to be aluminium which is worst case scenario I've heard. And regarding what you said about the missing connections, the cable used has two extra wires that aren't connected to anything. A black and a green. Are you saying these unconnected wires that run along side the data wires can cause in interference? It has the extra black and green on the cable that comes into my property from BT and also the cable that extended to the downstairs was this same type. 4 wires, orange, white, black, green. Green and black are not connected.

But there's not much I can do about that because it comes off the telephone poll like this. I had the extension disconnected when I was using the test socket which is upstairs and it didn't seem to make a difference to the sync speed. I left it using the test socket over the weekend. But if the cable coming from BT is picking up interference as well then I suppose it wouldn't make a noticeable difference for me to disconnect my extension socket.

Sponsored Links
You can ignore the extra pair coming from outside: an unused pair running alongside the live pair is fine. BT would use this as a spare, e.g. if you ordered a second line.

If your internal extension wiring has four wires, older master sockets did connect one of those wires for the "anti-tinkle" line on extensions. Disconnecting that can have a slight benefit.

But if you're on digital voice, then I hope that the extension wiring has been completely disconnected from the master socket anyway, and if it goes anywhere, it goes into your router's voice port. In that case, the extension wiring can have no impact on the broadband.

You can ignore the extra pair coming from outside: an unused pair running alongside the live pair is fine. BT would use this as a spare, e.g. if you ordered a second line.

If your internal extension wiring has four wires, older master sockets did connect one of those wires for the "anti-tinkle" line on extensions. Disconnecting that can have a slight benefit.

But if you're on digital voice, then I hope that the extension wiring has been completely disconnected from the master socket anyway, and if it goes anywhere, it goes into your router's voice port. In that case, the extension wiring can have no impact on the broadband.
Okay thanks for all of your help I really appreciate it. I am on digital voice yeah. Took me a few days to figure out why the telephone had no dial tone lol. I hadn't been keeping upto date with broadband technology so the telephone switch off was actually news to me. I saw Plusnet mention it and at first when I looked into renewing my contract but I thought it must just be a Plusnet thing.

I admit I jumped the gun by ditching Plusnet and assuming my problems were their fault. It was just a combination of factors. The national news is what pushed me over the edge and I think it was yourself who said that every provider has outages like that occasionally but it was just the first time I had seen it personally. I don't look at the news unless it comes up when I google something. So that was ignorance on my part for sure.

I suppose I will just have to wait till I can hopefully get FTTP in couple of years. My area is in their plans. There is one upside that I have a stable connection now that doesn't drop out all day. Albeit a slow one. Sky sent us WiFi boosters too which have been working great. Thanks to everyone who responded.

Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • UtilityWarehouse £19.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • NOW £23.00
    Speed 63Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £24.00
    Speed 73 - 82Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £24.99
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £15.00
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Zzoomm £19.95
  • YouFibre £19.99
  • Community Fibre £21.00
  • BeFibre £21.00
    Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Sponsored Links
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5411)
  2. BT (3491)
  3. Politics (2499)
  4. Openreach (2279)
  5. Business (2227)
  6. Building Digital UK (2218)
  7. FTTC (2039)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1943)
  9. Statistics (1766)
  10. 4G (1641)
  11. Virgin Media (1596)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1439)
  13. Wireless Internet (1380)
  14. Fibre Optic (1380)
  15. FTTH (1379)
  16. 5G (1217)
  17. Vodafone (1128)
  18. EE (1112)
  19. TalkTalk (927)
  20. O2 (919)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules