Sponsored Links

FTTC fraction of estimated speed

Hi.

We've recently had to move house and had Openreach install a new FTTC connection.

I was advised we could benefit from the same speeds as the last house and stay on the FTTC 40/10 package from iDNET.

The BT Wholesale checker advises that we could even get faster speeds and all ISPs that support Ofcom's minimum speed guarantee promise around 30megs. IDNET is not part of these scheme.

In fact, we've been left with no more than 20 download and 1.8 upload. Working from home means the upload is very important and this is insufficient for us all to work or study at the same time.

The Openreach engineer has been and tested the connection with his equipment. He offered no hope of anything faster.

Frustratingly, both sets of neighbours eitherside enjoy full FTTC speeds.

What on earth can I do next?

Speed estimate:

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate (Mbps)Downstream Handback ThresholdWBC FTTC Availability DateWBC SOGEA Availability Date
HighLowHighLow
VDSL Range A (Clean)
help.gif
74.854.62013.648.5AvailableAvailable--
VDSL Range B (Impacted)
help.gif
73.349.519.912.243Available

This to me would suggest that, assuming there's nothing radically different in the network between you and your neighbours, the problem is likely to be caused by wiring within your home. Maybe it's not being filtered correctly at the master socket, where your router should be connected (never an extension). Can you post your router stats (attenuation, noise margin, profile speed etc.) for the line?

It sounds very much like you have a fault, given the wildly different results - you might have a line fault (for example a battery contact or broken leg) or you might have an internal wiring fault causing a problem. It is even possible that the router has a fault, so I would suggest:

1) Make sure you've connected the modem to the TEST socket (underneath the face plate) on the MASTER socket (eg the one where the cable comes in from outside), which will eliminate any internal wiring.

2) Make sure you're checking the sync speed and see if it is any different

3) E-Mail idnet and report a problem, ask if they can run a test and confirm if you have a line fault (they're pretty responsive usually)

4) See if you can connect a different router and make sure the results do not vary wildly

Let us know how you get on

Sponsored Links
Hello.

Just to confirm
- The Openreach engineer has been and tested the connection with his own equipment. He even replaced the original master socket with 'Master Socket 5C' - so he's done all the basic tests but couldn't promise anything better.
- Earlier today, iDNET have confirmed the speed is way below the Downstream Handback Threshold and have raised this Openreach.

So at the moment, it's back over to Openreach.

This morning's router stats for info:
UpstreamDownstream
Current Rate(kbps)192424413
Max Rate(kbps)192425561
SNR Margin(dB)66.7
Line Attenuation(dB)27.113.7
Errors(pkts)2470

So, you've got very high attenuation on the upstream (relative to the downstream), which is not normal. We'd normally expect atten. to be higher on the downstream or at least be at a similar level to upstream. The low upstream speed is a further indication of a problem.

Attenuation reflects the reduction in signal strength on your line, although it's normally related to the length of a line but when there's a problem it can indicate other issues. A relatively high upstream atten. is often associated with faulty filters, faulty internal wiring or a physical line fault.

The fact you had new a new Master Socket 5C installed suggests it's probably not the filters. Maybe bad extension wiring elsewhere in the house or some other weakness, it can be difficult to pin down.

Well the engineer is outside the house now. Not very helpful. Says I've been mis-sold, did some tests and walked off!

Says I can't expect more than 25/2 on my line, despite neighbours either side getting the speed range indicated in post #1 above.
Even suggesting upgrading to the 80/20 product - how is that supposed to help when the line is stuck on 25/2!!!

All ISPs that support Ofcom's minimum speed guarantee promise more - and I know they are deliberately conservative. What's the next step I wonder?

@Mark.J - when Master Socket 5C was installed, the extension to the bedroom was disabled, so basically it's just a line from the grey Openreach box outside to the Master Socket with no other lines.

Sponsored Links
Is there something specifically different about your house, OH drop wire etc?

The OR guy will have tested the line for telephony and as long as it is OK his procedure will probably not include moving you to a spare pair or opening any joints unnecessarily. Shame he couldn't explain why he concluded only 25/2. Using a higher product can have an effect but not by much if its a line issue.

One solution may be order an additional FTTC broadband and pay any installation charge. This will force an installation on another pair. If all is well you can then cancel the poor circuit (releasing pair and cabinet port after your install). If it is the same simply cancel the additional circuit within 14 days.

Not good but if you have already had OR out not much is likely to happen.

Hi.

Some good news.

But first, the reason why I knew the neighbours had a good line is because I've only just moved literally around the corner, jumping at a chance to buy a larger house after much frustration during lockdown 1. The old house is empty while the landlord awaits new tenants.

I did mention I'd only moved a short distance in the rather heated discussion, as I did not accept the previously mentioned misselling excuse, nor the fact it's 1km to the cabinet (it's not, not even if you do a speghetti route to get there), so high speeds "aren't possible".

Anyway- the outcome:

Screenshot_20210114-153946_Messages.jpg

And the result:
UpstreamDownstream
Current Rate(kbps)999740000
Max Rate(kbps)1303749015
SNR Margin(dB)7.58.6
Line Attenuation(dB)24.613.4
Errors(pkts)00

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules