Sponsored

FTTP advertised speeds - performance?

BFG

Casual Member
I'm just kicking off a Community project to bring FTTP to our village. There's quite a bit of interest, and I'm wondering what other people's experiences are so I can pass them on.

Questions from the village...
Q. With FTTC broadband I've never got close to advertised / contracted speeds. How does FTTP improve on that? Will we get what we pay for?

Q. What happens to my BT phone? Does that swap over to the new fibre line or...?

Q. Is this going to be the 330Mbps or the gigabit? (How can I tell)

SamuelC

Casual Member
From my knowledge:

Q1 - FTTC speeds/performance is based on the degrade from the remaining copper line. Therefore, FTTP should generally give you a stable speed of what you pay for (there could technically still be a bottleneck with the node the FTTP lines are connected to if there is a heavy bandwidth user but unlikely since its unlikely anybody would be using a continuous 1Gb transfer for a while)

Q2 - Currently I believe OR leave the old copper lines for phones but eventually they will need to be either removed (for the better, no sales calls) or transitioned to IP phone via routing device.

Q3 - You should be able to select a different package for each property but the max you can currently get (BT wholesale wise) I believe is ~900Mbps DL and ~120Mbps UP. They will give you a smaller speed guarantee though so if it drops during peak times, you can't really complain.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Adding to those from Samuel.

Q2. This depends on your choice of ISP too. At present BT can also offer a Digital Voice (VoIP) alternative, as can Sky, which means your existing phone handset needs to be plugged into the router instead of a wall socket. Otherwise your number should still be retained. Ofcom are also due to introduce an improved process for number portability, which should make it easier to swap your phone number to all sorts of different VoIP platforms or networks.

Q3. Generally you'll have a choice of speeds since FTTP is just a line, which supports many package options from 40Mbps and all the way up to 1Gbps. Only in some older areas that were deployed on Openreach using ECI kit will the fastest package be limited to 330Mbps. Generally anything being deployed now should support top speeds of up to 1Gbps. At the end of the day, it's a matter of consumer choice as to what speed you pick.

Rolandrat

Casual Member
" Only in some older areas that were deployed on Openreach using ECI kit will the fastest package be limited to 330Mbps. Generally anything being deployed now should support top speeds of up to 1Gbps "

Wish it was the case, brand new cable installs in Feb this year, stuck on 330Mbps, all the older stuff, literally stones throw away, same exchange can get 900Mbps. No idea why we cant, tried asking and gave up, went cityfibre as well to get my 900Mbps fix.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Onestream £22.49 (*29.99)
    Avg. Speed 45Mbps, Unlimited
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99 (*35.98)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Reward Card
  • Vodafone £23.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2768)
  2. FTTP (2746)
  3. FTTC (1783)
  4. Building Digital UK (1740)
  5. Politics (1662)
  6. Openreach (1619)
  7. Business (1429)
  8. FTTH (1340)
  9. Statistics (1240)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1221)
  11. Fibre Optic (1062)
  12. 4G (1052)
  13. Wireless Internet (1020)
  14. Ofcom Regulation (1014)
  15. Virgin Media (1004)
  16. EE (696)
  17. Sky Broadband (668)
  18. Vodafone (666)
  19. TalkTalk (661)
  20. 5G (514)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules