Sponsored Links

FTTP and FTTC at the same time?

Can I get FTTP and FTTC at the same time? I currently have Now Broadband FTTC but am contracted until October. They don't do FTTP and my area has just gone live with this. At this point I can only order via BT which is not such a bad thing as I can get £10 per month off their 300 service. Ultimately I don't want to lose the Now service for now as I get free calls with it and the mobile reception in my area is shocking indoors. So if I ordered FTTP via BT would this impact upon my Now Broadband service? If not, one that service comes to the end of the contract would I then be able to port my number?

If none of this is possible I will probably just wait a few months until I am nearer the end of my contract and just take the remaining hit on cancelling the NOW Broadband service. The extra speed would be nice though (especially upload) as I get about 25 down and 4 up at the moment.

Regarding the terrible mobile coverage indoors: use a handset and operator that enables Wifi Calling, and you should be fine.

Regarding the port of your landline phone number to FTTP: another option is to port your voice number to a third-party VOIP provider, when you're ready to cease NowTV. The port will automatically trigger a cease of both the FTTC and phone services on the associated copper line.

"At this point I can only order via BT" - have you tried other providers' availability checkers? The biggest ones which resell Openreach FTTP are Sky, Zen, Talktalk (no voice service), Vodafone (only in certain areas), and EE (part of BT). There are also smaller providers with good reputations like Aquiss, IDNet, Pulse8.

Sponsored Links
Regarding the terrible mobile coverage indoors: use a handset and operator that enables Wifi Calling, and you should be fine.

Regarding the port of your landline phone number to FTTP: another option is to port your voice number to a third-party VOIP provider, when you're ready to cease NowTV. The port will automatically trigger a cease of both the FTTC and phone services on the associated copper line.

"At this point I can only order via BT" - have you tried other providers' availability checkers? The biggest ones which resell Openreach FTTP are Sky, Zen, Talktalk (no voice service), Vodafone (only in certain areas), and EE (part of BT). There are also smaller providers with good reputations like Aquiss, IDNet, Pulse8.
Thanks for your help. Unfortunately WiFi calling is not great as the mobiles tend to pick up a 1 or 2 bar mobile signal so don't often switch to WiFi calling and when they do, the transition normally ends in the call dropping. I have tried all of the mobile providers and I suspect an outside signal booster is the way forward whenever I can go to that expense.

In terms of the Fttp I am thinking it is probably just worth waiting for the end of the Now contract and just switching everything at the same time.

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately WiFi calling is not great as the mobiles tend to pick up a 1 or 2 bar mobile signal so don't often switch to WiFi calling and when they do, the transition normally ends in the call dropping. I have tried all of the mobile providers and I suspect an outside signal booster is the way forward whenever I can go to that expense.

In terms of the Fttp I am thinking it is probably just worth waiting for the end of the Now contract and just switching everything at the same time.

Set your phone to flight mode, then just enable Wi-Fi, that usually results in a working solution, I do this with EE when at home, which is quite a bit lately due to the situation and working from home. The other upside to this is the battery in the phone lasts a lot longer as it isn't shouting and trying to be heard by a remote mast :)

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Sky Broadband UK ISP Logo
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5443)
  2. BT (3497)
  3. Politics (2513)
  4. Openreach (2285)
  5. Business (2242)
  6. Building Digital UK (2226)
  7. FTTC (2040)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1954)
  9. Statistics (1770)
  10. 4G (1648)
  11. Virgin Media (1603)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1446)
  13. Wireless Internet (1384)
  14. Fibre Optic (1384)
  15. FTTH (1380)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules