Sponsored

FTTP Available But Not Available?

Paddywack41

Folks, After being stuck on 2MB broadband and a year long "Not My Problem" between Vodafone and Openreach, we where finally informed by Openreach 4 weeks ago that we have got FTTP at our address. Naturally I leaped onto the internet to try and get an FTTP package and after waiting 10 minutes for the pages to load I saw from the Openreach page that there were about 6 providers in Northern Ireland that would be able to provide me with this holy grail of broadband.

Having been with Zen before and very happy with their service I saw that they were offering 100MB or 300MB (To be fair I was expecting up to 1GB). I also checked out Giganet and they were offering either 100MB or 300MB. The other mainstream such as Sky and BT where only showing me 2MB.

I therefore went on to speak to Zen to see that if i went for the 300MB would I be able to upgrade should the higher speeds become available. I was informed that there was no 100MB or 300MB available and that I should contact Openreach. I spoke via Twitter to Openreach and was told to check their website which said I could get up to 1GB and I should speak to my providers.

I finally found a contact through work whose brother works for BT and who was able to confirm via Openreach that there was definitely FTTP to my address but now I am at a loss as to where to go from here. Having spent a year with this yo yo between a "We wont speak to you" from Openreach and a "We cant help you, you need to speak to Openreach" from Vodafone, I really don't want to go through it again.

Any idea as to why my apparent availability isn't actually available?

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
If it's only just gone live very recently then there could be a database update delay between Openreach and the ISPs. Alternatively, there could be a problem like the one we reported at the weekend, where new orders filled up all the initially available capacity:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...city-problem-on-openreachs-uk-fttp-poles.html

I'd be inclined to do a full address check via BT Wholesale to see if they can identify FTTP as being available to you (ignore the 'FTTP on Demand' entry on their checker, that's an entirely different thing):

Paddywack41

Thanks for your help Mark. Used the checker but it seems a bit of complicated to understand. I do see alongside WBC FTTP that it shows a download of 330 and marked as Planned. Guess I will just have to go to Zen and get myself on a waiting list.

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
If it's marked as planned then it's not yet fully live yet and you won't be able to order it.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: HYPER21
  • Plusnet £22.50 (*36.52)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £60 Reward Card
  • Onestream £22.50 (*27.99)
    Speed 45Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £22.95
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Vodafone £26.00
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £27.99 (*51.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £29.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: HYPER21
  • TalkTalk £32.00 (*39.95)
    Speed: 145Mbps, Unlimited
  • Giganet £35.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3045)
  2. BT (2882)
  3. FTTC (1835)
  4. Building Digital UK (1812)
  5. Politics (1774)
  6. Openreach (1707)
  7. Business (1542)
  8. FTTH (1351)
  9. Mobile Broadband (1345)
  10. Statistics (1321)
  11. 4G (1158)
  12. Fibre Optic (1108)
  13. Wireless Internet (1080)
  14. Virgin Media (1072)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1068)
  16. EE (767)
  17. Vodafone (747)
  18. TalkTalk (716)
  19. Sky Broadband (704)
  20. 5G (629)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules