Sponsored Links

FTTP coming locally?

Rich44

Moved house in July to find whilst half mile away our FTTC install was about 65Mbps since 2015, here it was under 10Mbps down and 0.2 up & was unusable so we cancelled the BT line.

I spoke to the local BDUK group & they said contracts had just been signed to sort it by March 2020. So was looking at local poles shortly after & lo what do I see CBT & rolls of fibre ready to be back connected to previous poles along with caution overhead fibre signs on the poles.

There are 2 CBT's 3 poles apart & once it gets back to the main road it goes underground. I don't know when these went in & the Openreach checker says "coming soon" for our post code & 3/4 others rest if village just says no.

I checked with Openreach on twitter & they said not coming until 2021 which I'm hoping is the install date for the rest of the village as there's only about 4 post codes getting FTTP at the moment as far as I can see.

Does anyone have any idea on how to garner any further information at this time? There's nothing in roadworks.org but then I guess there wouldn't need to be as they wouldn't need road closures to push the stuff underground & then across half dozen poles esp as its super rural quiet villages roads.

So I guess does anyone have any ideas how long this is likely to take? Aside from saying March lol. I was surprised to see the equipment on the poles already so wondered if that has any bearing on lead time?

Anyones thoughts?

Sadly it's not uncommon for there to be a c.12 month wait between the point engineers complete the physical local build and services going live, although this will very much depend upon the area and so can vary. So March 2020 is not impossible but don't be surprised if you find yourself having to wait until H2 2020 instead.

One good thing is that these days most of the new networks being built have to be FTTP rather than FTTC.

The 2021 date is the end of your local BDUK rollout scheme. Once you see the fibre getting installed and they don't touch it for a month or so you should be able to order it after 2 months if the ducts are already in place (and aren't overly blocked).

Sponsored Links
Thought I'd update this, still no broadband, we've been living off flaky 4g for 18 months now.

Apparently ducts for the backhaul were blocked which pushed the build cost outside BDUK so got canned despite the CBT's being here.

So after months of pestering to find that out I spoke to the parish council & they setup a CFP & within 6 months we hit 100% which was November 2020. I asked for an update but openreach said can't tell you confidential blah blah. Anyway yesterday an unmarked white van with amber light pulls up guy shoots up a pole & fits another CBT so there's now 2 on that pole, neighbour speaks to them & they say still waiting on the cable up the main road (implied fibre is coming up ducts from the cab area & that blocked bit is sorted now) & that it'd happen as fast as they could work & should be live in a month or 2

So fingers crossed, now we've moved into a bigger house for the kids (bedroom each yay), finally got a drive built so no more falling over in mud, got a new roof, pointing is being done next week (1930s house), soakaway going in & on top finally getting "real" broadband again my youngest is very excited he's an avid fortnite gamer & hates 4g.

Keeping fingers crossed for 900Mbps soon

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5513)
  2. BT (3514)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2297)
  5. Business (2261)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2043)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1972)
  9. Statistics (1788)
  10. 4G (1663)
  11. Virgin Media (1619)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1460)
  13. Fibre Optic (1394)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules