Sponsored Links

FTTP for SME, how check real install date openreach?

fundutzi

Casual Member
Dear All,

Anywhere to see when FTTP will really be installed by openreach?
BT business (BT_Bus) for one month now blames openreach, each time. Still waiting on "external work". Deadline moves with +- 3~7 days. Small company will move to address in 3 weeks.
Only once external work is done can BT_Bus set date for internal install.

Since FTTP date kept slipping tried to order FTTC from BT_Bus and AAISP, sorry, only FTTP served at this address!

From btwholesale.com for address:

UGUiiMBeoFR4jJyfbq5DTDy5mPMhmd09.png

Thank you.

This is not OH so requires UG fibre install.

There are a number of buildings on site and not all may have a serviceable duct, may be subject to survey and if additional work has been identified requires an additional task (rather than just straight one man FTTP ONT install). In addition current service may be via other premises requiring wayleave/permissions/access.

The delay could infer either first install on the park or premise specific issues such as cabling at height.

However BT Business should be more specific on task and timetable.

EE 4G available for Hybrid backup?

Suggest you also enquire about the wayleaves issue too as that can cause problems and you don't want to find out later its another problem.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your input.
- Will see if I can find more info on wayleaves..
- Was hoping there is a method to ask Openreach, what is causing you the delay.

How exactly does one determine the reason for the holdup?
Asked BT_Bus many times. the best answer till now, "external work is causing delay".

Plan B options all along had been:
a. VirginMedia (VirgM). This will take too long to install and one cannot cancel > 5 days after placing order, this risks having 24m contract that may only be installed say 40 or 60 days after order.
Also, we had VirgM as 2nd line till now at current address, not in any way reliable compared to OpenReach FTTC.

b. 4G as last resort.
Depending on how bad 4G will be {I hate GSM} may try and visit nearby private properties and see if one can find a person willing to allow a wireless bridge for time being.

Did knock on neighbour small businesses doors and asked what connections they used, they use FTTC.

Dear All,

Anywhere to see when FTTP will really be installed by openreach?
BT business (BT_Bus) for one month now blames openreach, each time. Still waiting on "external work". Deadline moves with +- 3~7 days. Small company will move to address in 3 weeks.
Only once external work is done can BT_Bus set date for internal install.

Since FTTP date kept slipping tried to order FTTC from BT_Bus and AAISP, sorry, only FTTP served at this address!

From btwholesale.com for address:

UGUiiMBeoFR4jJyfbq5DTDy5mPMhmd09.png

Thank you.
The entry for your neighbours at Unit 5 is more positive:

“Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Business UG Duct rodded and roped.”

This essentially means that it’s ready to go. Your entry is less positive “…potential wayleave issues”

Given it’s the same estate, suggests that the issue really is way leave related or duct issue serving your unit.

Is there a managing agent that you can speak with? They may have some insight especially if other tenants/owners have come across similar.

Brief update, thanks to your guidance here.

On May 23, Openreach note: Blockage duckting.
(One line of text, took some hours of pleading work to get this simple answer.)

Heaven knows how long this will take to resolve.

If no timeframe by next week for FTTP, I will knock on nearby doors and prepare for beggars internet with Wifi bridge. Cant have this office use 4G with VOIP as phone lines.

Hopefully as a live order it will be quick.

"Can't have this office use 4G with VOIP as phone lines." Why not?.
Hybrid.svg
Hybrid Connect
Surely you are considering resilience, BT offering or other.

Sponsored Links
Latest update, worst compared to all previous updates, ring back by 3rd June. {In effect wait till Monday 6 June, thus wait 10 days}.
Preposterous, becoming a religious matter now.

Sponsored Links
Brief update.
Theory, Openreach will install FTTP Wednesday next week. {Order placed Apr 25, install date June 15, +- 5 hours on phone to BT business since order placed as per phone records}

Will give feedback once done.

Thank you for your input this far.

Final update.
Private contractor on behalf of Openreach installed the line yesterday.
Informal comments by engineer were: Massive delays due to Covid shutdown.

My personal summary/ observation:
1. Openreach kept pushing back {+- 6 times, each between 3 and 7 days} on the work and install date to buy time.
2. The creation of a complaint after the third false work date had zero effect. Thus a pure placebo. A pure waste of time and energy.
3. Nothing one can do, where only one supplier available you are the beggar. No way to hold the supplier accountable for delivery dates.

Your input as summary most welcome.

Thank you.

Glad you got there in the end on the connection.

Did you have to resort to another means of broadband connection (ie 4G) in the meantime?

Thank you for the prompt on backup internet. I am curious, why the interest in xG connection? Saw the prompts earlier in thread on xG.

If ok we can discuss xG connections in a different thread.
Put it humbly, am a highly qualified and certified network engineer with more than +- 25 years experience. Hold strong views on GSM, xG connections. Put it bluntly, there is a reason why the world (we all included) use cables.

Short answer, a 4/5G connection will be used as last resort here. If used more than twice a year for more than 4 hours I will order Virgin business as backup. Virgin as no other fibre infrastructure exist here { Seriously dislikes Virgin business}.

I was simply curious as to whether you had to find another means of internet access, given the looming deadline for the company to move onto the premises.

I don’t hold any particularly vehement views either way on wired/wireless access. Both work. All have their particular place.

Enjoy your connection.

Sponsored Links
Just been informed by my shared ownership housing association that Openreach are installing FTTP to the apartments on the 25th July for 10 days.

Nothing shows on the Openreach checker as of yet.

I'm quite happy with my 5g connection, local mast is a street away and I easily see up to 500 down and 50 up on my Mikrotik Chateau 5G.

Will update if I see any availability.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules