Sponsored Links

FTTP / FTTC ducting installation advice...

filmguyuk

Hi all.

So I'm finally getting ready to replace my EE 4G setup. I had the nudge nudge from an Openreach engineer about them building out an FTTP service in my small rural village - should be all done for January.

What he did advise me was that he'd recommend getting FTTC to my property first, because;
A. I have no service into my house, that most suppliers currently would cover the cable run nd they'll reuse this for the FTTP.
B. Due to my overall location they'd have to T off the upcoming FTTP from a neighbouring old people's home, which would be subject to wayleaves. Because there's no current pre-existing cable to my house. This old peoples home currently has an 8 circuit supply and all were taken up prior to my house being built. He said we'd be far better off having our own direct line to the exchange given the upcoming FTTP.

So, I've sorted an FTTC service via BT (yes I know - what was I thinking - long term hopefully 900mbps fibre product ). I have my comms/services all under the stairs on the ground floor, to ensure it's fit for purpose both for the FTTC and then the subsequent FTTP I excavated a small trench around the front of the property to ensure a tidy install.

What I want to know is what is the best ducting for me to install? Do I need to even worry about this, as in would Openreach supply the ducting for me then to backfill? Do I need to install 2 strings, one for the initial install of the FTTC and then a second for the FTTP? Or is the FTTP pushed through?

Would appreciate any and all advice. Thanks - Matt.

"I had the nudge nudge from an Openreach engineer about them building out an FTTP service in my small rural village - should be all done for January." - Wouldn't hold your breath, I was told the same and they now claim it was put on hold indefinitely / in other words scrapped.

I had a nudge we were getting FTTP 22nd March 2017 from a head boffin at Openreach and still waiting.:poop:

Sponsored Links
"I had the nudge nudge from an Openreach engineer about them building out an FTTP service in my small rural village - should be all done for January." - Wouldn't hold your breath, I was told the same and they now claim it was put on hold indefinitely / in other words scrapped.
In all fairness, I've seen them working in the road for the last 2 weeks straight.

I had a nudge we were getting FTTP 22nd March 2017 from a head boffin at Openreach and still waiting.:poop:
As per the comment from Samuel, I've seen them working consistently throughout the village over the past 2 weeks - so something is definitely happening.

In all fairness, I've seen them working in the road for the last 2 weeks straight.
Means nothing bud, I watched while some European dudes apparently install fibre cables through my street ducts and they still scrapped it afterwards. We're talking like 14 months ago now.

Last edited:
Means nothing bud, I watched while some European dudes apparently installed fibre cables through my street ducts and they still scrapped it afterwards. We're talking like 14 months ago now.
Well, I'll potentially be wedded to my 4G LTE modem a tad longer.

Sponsored Links
I really do wish you well mate but unless you are very lucky it could be a very long wait.:(
As quoted earlier we were told early 2017 we were getting FTTP, had the splicing done in 2019 with the CBT's all in place at the end of my garden path.
Check the date on the picture from Monday this week, Openreach Superfast Fibre vans still active but still no finalisation in site.(n)
We do live in a very rural area which could make the difference.
splicer-inside.jpg

openreach fibre.jpg

I really do wish you well mate but unless you are very lucky it could be a very long wait.:(
As quoted earlier we were told early 2017 we were getting FTTP, had the splicing done in 2019 with the CBT's all in place at the end of my garden path.
Check the date on the picture from Monday this week, Openreach Superfast Fibre vans still active but still no finalisation in site.(n)
We do live in a very rural area which could make the difference.
View attachment 526
View attachment 527
Where in the country are you?

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Sky Broadband UK ISP Logo
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5443)
  2. BT (3497)
  3. Politics (2513)
  4. Openreach (2285)
  5. Business (2242)
  6. Building Digital UK (2226)
  7. FTTC (2040)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1954)
  9. Statistics (1770)
  10. 4G (1648)
  11. Virgin Media (1603)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1446)
  13. Wireless Internet (1384)
  14. Fibre Optic (1384)
  15. FTTH (1380)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules