Sponsored Links

FTTP Install over the same path as copper lines?

Tjsmith

I know this is pretty unpredictable but my village is discussing a community fibre partnership and another village I live near started the discussion of their community partnership around January this year and building started in may, I was wondering about the install path of the fibre, since I live 0.2 miles from the exchange I hoped I would be one of the first in the install and my question was that would they just use the same poles that the copper lines go through to my house which would make the build time a lot less than digging up the roads like places, but considering this is a village I would assume most of the fibre will be over poles and not dug in the ground, anyone know from their fibre being installed in a village?

It can vary, but if poles are already present then there's a very good chance they'll just sling fibre across those (sometimes the odd pole may need to be replaced), as if the weight (pole loading capacity) is still good then it wouldn't make sense to go digging up all the roads. Poles also make for quicker deployments.

Sponsored Links
since I live 0.2 miles from the exchange I hoped I would be one of the first in the install

The other thing to take into account is FTTP is delivered from head-end exchanges, not necessarily your "local" exchange.

If your local exchange is .2 miles to the left of your property there's a very real change FTTP may be fed from a HE exchange 7 miles from the right (for example)

The other thing to take into account is FTTP is delivered from head-end exchanges, not necessarily your "local" exchange.

If your local exchange is .2 miles to the left of your property there's a very real change FTTP may be fed from a HE exchange 7 miles from the right (for example)
the direct distance is 0.2 miles and my house is pretty much directly infront of it and I've realised how inefficient fttc is, it goes all the way down to the end of my road to the cabinet ( about 300m) and back again to the other end of my street then back to my house

the direct distance is 0.2 miles and my house is pretty much directly infront of it and I've realised how inefficient fttc is, it goes all the way down to the end of my road to the cabinet ( about 300m) and back again to the other end of my street then back to my house
Sure. But the point is, FTTP will go directly to the fibre aggregation node (which will be in an underground chamber somewhere), and from there to the head-end exchange - which is unlikely to be your rural village exchange.

If you have FTTC, then the fibre from the cabinets also goes to the fibre aggregation node, not to the local exchange.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5467)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1607)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules