Sponsored Links

FTTP installation in the morning - still orange in the evening

Jasonm

Super Pro Member
I had my FTTP installed this morning... Everything went smoothly until the engineer tried to activate the broadband and test the connection via my SH2.

Overheard him speaking to someone on the phone and the person on the phone insisted that it wasn't related to activation - but that there must be some issue on the line/exchange...

The engineers left and two phone calls with BT later they just told me that there is a fault but that this shouldn't impact my broadband... And that it's just not activated, yet... And I should wait until midnight...

It's just very strange because I already received the email that BT is now active and in that exactly moment my old NOW FTTC line went offline... So I think there's something deeper that's the issue - but somehow I'm stuck between BT and Openreach...

The ONT semms fine... Three solid green lights as it should be... Only the router stays orange 😕

Yeah... Just woke up and it's still orange... Doesn't help that BT plays the "it'll be activated soon" game... Guess I gotta be a bit more of a Karen on the phone later 🙄😂

Sponsored Links
Another engineer will come on Thursday... I have my doubts that they will be able to fix anything... but we'll see

I don't think this is an engineer problem, this seems like provision problem e.g. BT wholesale, maybe query with this with a 2nd line tech.

According to the person on the FTTP line today they checked everything on their side... Most likely they will do a CTH test then to confirm its northing on the OR build side of things

According to the person on the FTTP line today they checked everything on their side... Most likely they will do a CTH test then to confirm its northing on the OR build side of things
Pretty easy to tell if you have a laptop running a PPPoE client - ideally Linux/Unix/MacOS - set it in verbose / debug and try and connect to the BNG/Bras with your PPPoE creds.

Sponsored Links
Pretty easy to tell if you have a laptop running a PPPoE client - ideally Linux/Unix/MacOS - set it in verbose / debug and try and connect to the BNG/Bras with your PPPoE creds.
Sadly running on Windows here. Had a chat with a neighbour who also just got OR-based FTTP installed last week. They are with Sky and have no issue... Called up the Fibre team again and told them... They said they checked all the systems (incl. wholesale etc) on their own end - everything seems ready... So the agent on the phone was relatively optimistic that the fault engineer will at least be able to point out what the issue is on Thursday (at least they're not sending in another installer who can't check those things)... Fingers crossed!

Sadly running on Windows here. Had a chat with a neighbour who also just got OR-based FTTP installed last week. They are with Sky and have no issue... Called up the Fibre team again and told them... They said they checked all the systems (incl. wholesale etc) on their own end - everything seems ready... So the agent on the phone was relatively optimistic that the fault engineer will at least be able to point out what the issue is on Thursday (at least they're not sending in another installer who can't check those things)... Fingers crossed!
Wouldn’t be the first time Wholesale is late to the party with cablelinks etc and beaten to the punch by Sky, TT, Vodafone and the like with their own backhaul.

Level 1 “support”: they must just go through the motions….to sate their masters

If there was a genuine Openreach issue ie no / not enough light coming out of the pipe: the LOS light would be bright solid red in colour.

If your ONT was unauthenticated with the OLT or on the wrong PON, the PON lamp would be either off completely or flashing (sometimes in sequence with LOS lamp)

Seeing as it’s neither, then it’s a BT issue as the ISP.

Level 1 “support”: they must just go through the motions….to sate their masters

If there was a genuine Openreach issue ie no / not enough light coming out of the pipe: the LOS light would be bright solid red in colour.

If your ONT was unauthenticated with the OLT or on the wrong PON, the PON lamp would be either off completely or flashing (sometimes in sequence with LOS lamp)

Seeing as it’s neither, then it’s a BT issue as the ISP.
Yeah... I kinda made the same argument to the call agent of the BT FTTP team... But they argued that Openreach handles most of this part on behalf of BT... God knows... I can imagine that I'll be ping-ponging for a while between OR and BT. At least, they'll provide a 4g modem in the meantime... Doesn't help that most of my lights and security equipment around the house require broadband

Sponsored Links
Openreach handle the physical network but backhaul etc is handled internally by BTW not OR so probably talking waffle as they don't actually know what's wrong
Yeah - I think you are right... I guess I'll have to hope that the OR fault engineer can at least log what appears to be the problem here

Yeah - I think you are right... I guess I'll have to hope that the OR fault engineer can at least log what appears to be the problem here
Local ONT and any light tests etc will all pass. Then it'll be passed up the chain where it ought to be clocked and appropriate steps / action taken.

Local ONT and any light tests etc will all pass. Then it'll be passed up the chain where it ought to be clocked and appropriate steps / action taken.
The agent on the phone made it sound as if the fault engineer will start at the exchange and only if needed enter my house... I hope she was right and it won't be another check of "is the red cable in the WAN port?" 😂

Sponsored Links
I was stuck in limbo like this with my first ADSL install, had to email the BT CEO to get it resolved, took 48 hrs after the email. Bert has moved on but the process still works so if the OR fault engineer does not clear the fault I would escalate.

Yeah... Turns out they are sending a "BT Home Tech Expert"... So I'm not keeping my hopes up... When I rang up the FTTP team and told them that this is not the type of person I need / I was promised to get - they got a bit defensive... So I think they are literally following a script here (no way for me to speed up the process)...
At least their little 4g mini hub arrived and I could change the SSID and WiFi password so that my devices at home (most of them at least) think they are back in a regular WiFi network :)
I guess I'll be stuck in a limbo for a while... But at least that 4g mini hub keeps me online (and seems relatively stable for a 4g connection)

Seems about right, they‘re trying to make out that your home set up is the issue, there won’t be anything they can do… good chance this ‘expert’ will have no idea what’s wrong.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5511)
  2. BT (3514)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2296)
  5. Business (2260)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2042)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1972)
  9. Statistics (1788)
  10. 4G (1663)
  11. Virgin Media (1619)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1460)
  13. Fibre Optic (1393)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules