Sponsored Links

FTTP installation: what am I waiting for?

ChrisH

Hello all

Wonder if you might be able to help me understand what is going on with my FTTP order (and ideally whether I can do anything to sort it out!)

Story is as follows:
  • Ordered 900/110 FTTP from BT on 3rd June after confirming it is available on the BT Wholesale checker.
  • 2-stage installation process, ONT installed and connected on 17th July. Engineer noted the PON light was flashing and said there was a network problem that would be sorted out in the next few working days.
  • In the 4 weeks since then nothing has changed. The BT order tracker says BT can't confirm the completion date of the order. They have been calling to update us twice per week but there has been no progress and they cannot give any timescale at all to start the service. They say that Openreach are still "looking at how they can provide the service".
Not sure exactly what the problem is - could it be that the Openreach network is not capable of providing 900/110 in the area (even though it is still listed as available for the property and all those nearby?). Any suggestions gratefully received!

Is it a new build or a retro build?
Flashing PON can mean a few different things from failed registration, wrong ONT (they are registered specifically to each property), wrong routing, or a light strength issue.

Sponsored Links
This sounds eerily similar to a problem that we wrote about recently with an FTTP on Demand build. Granted it's not quite the same product but your description does echo:

It could be that Openreach have a similar issue with admin/error and signing the work off correctly.

I would think it’s routing of the light strength issue then. Where in the country are you?
Have you had a router delivered and what was the original activation date?
Speak to your provider, they should be chasing up the problem for you as it’s in their interests to get this resolved.

I had an Openreach FTTP installation (getting BT 900/110 the same as yourself) approx 6 weeks ago at an old property. Once the engineer had plugged the ONT in he said if the PON light flashes then I will have to go back up the pole and switch you to 'the other side' (looks like the pole has two banks of connections). Indeed it was flashing, he went up the pole, switched us over and the light went green. I'm not saying you have the same issue, but maybe worth asking the question?

Thanks all

Have since contacted the BT FTTP team who continue to seem rather puzzled about exactly what is delaying things. It's been escalated to Openreach again. Overall it does seem rather similar to the story that Mark reported! Fingers crossed someone at Openreach can work it out quickly.

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Sky Broadband UK ISP Logo
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5443)
  2. BT (3497)
  3. Politics (2513)
  4. Openreach (2285)
  5. Business (2242)
  6. Building Digital UK (2226)
  7. FTTC (2040)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1954)
  9. Statistics (1770)
  10. 4G (1648)
  11. Virgin Media (1603)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1446)
  13. Wireless Internet (1384)
  14. Fibre Optic (1384)
  15. FTTH (1380)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules