Sponsored Links

FTTP installed today but desktop speed under 1mbps...

Yep, you have a PCI-e (x1) slot available, but to be sure nothing is obstructing the slot, i would still open the PC case and check before buying a card. You will need to slot the wifi card into the top slot as shown below:

Difference-Between-PCI-and-PCI-Express_Figure-1.jpg

If its all clear, any half-decent spec wifi card should work a treat. The TP Link card i suggested earlier seems to be out of stock on Amazon, so go for something like this:

Or if you want the very best, then go for this (i have this and its brilliant):

If you decide to buy any of the above Asus cards, make sure you use the external antenna mounts (supplied) as the best link rates are obtained using that.

One thing worth mentioning, on the 2.4G bandwidth its best set to use channels 1,6,11 to prevent any overlapping issues with other channels.

Also if the router is broadcasting in the 20mhz range on 2.4G instead of 40 (due to fair sharing) then the speeds will be 50% of the expected maximum obtainable rates.

The easiest way around it just to use Power line Adaptors or Mesh on 5G.

Bear in mind BT have their 'Wifi Guarantee' so make sure to take full advantage of that.

Another test worth doing is to remove the ETH cable from the ONT to Router and plug that into the PC/Laptop and test directly that way, the ONT will always be getting 1G connection (with throttling being done at the ISP end based on your package) so if you have 50/10 then the ONT will put through 1k/1k and the BT will throttle to 50/10. Based on overheads and MTu (should be 1500) you should get average 45+/10 direct into the ONT, this eliminates the FTTP network as being at fault (as poor light levels at ONT can slow down/disrupt the service)

OK, as per the photo someone helpfully used above, you have PCI-Ex1, PCIx16 and 2 PCIx1 slots.

A quick look at the back of the PC will probably be all you need if you go for a PCI slot version; if you have nothing in the slots below where the gfx card sits, PCI will be fine - although PCI cards are getting harder to find.

As mentioned, you will have to open the case and physically check clearance for the PCI-E slot, as usually (and stupidly), they are usually blocked by the gfx card.

So finally got the case opened. I am worried that the divider between the slots on the back of the box is directly in the path of the slot where adapter would plug into the board. The connector on the adapter would need to be off set to meet the little socket. I hope you understand where I am coming from. :)

Can you post a picture of the motherboard and ideally one showing the pci slots at the back of the case as well?

Thanks to all who took an in interest in my plight.
Problem solved. A couple of months ago the man from BT sent me the BT Whole Home discs. Just now I thought about connecting to it. Result most satisfactory. :cool:

Attachments

• BTWholeHome.JPG
    BTWholeHome.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 119
Sponsored Links
I would like to heap praise on BT internet. Since last November they have been bending over backwards to get me to speeds I should be getting. That includes the time before I got hooked up to FTTP. I have been with them perhaps 5 or more years.

So finally got the case opened. I am worried that the divider between the slots on the back of the box is directly in the path of the slot where adapter would plug into the board. The connector on the adapter would need to be off set to meet the little socket. I hope you understand where I am coming from. :)
As butler points out, the backplate for output ports is offset to the lower side of the pcb, so when the cards are inserted, the backplate lines up with the slot.

Glad to hear you have a solution; hopefully BT have sorted out all their issues with the Whole House systems firmware.

Maybe consider less congested 5Ghz as the BT routers do usually come with this either as an option or automatically on anyway (newer BT routers, you would have to check) then get a 5Ghz Wifi Dongle as with it being on a less congested part of the wireless spectrum it in theory should be faster, this would also benefit if using internal networking also as i tend to use this to my small cake tin media pc downstairs with my server upstairs it allows me to stream in full HD compared to it struggling in the 2.4Ghz spectrum.

Maybe consider less congested 5Ghz as the BT routers do usually come with this either as an option or automatically on anyway (newer BT routers, you would have to check) then get a 5Ghz Wifi Dongle as with it being on a less congested part of the wireless spectrum it in theory should be faster, this would also benefit if using internal networking also as i tend to use this to my small cake tin media pc downstairs with my server upstairs it allows me to stream in full HD compared to it struggling in the 2.4Ghz spectrum.

Agreed with this, most ISPs ship the kit with converged SSID meaning you need to split them yourself. I would not recommend setting a static SSID channel and instead let the router and device choose the least congested channel. Also worth noting that in congested areas the 2.4G will drop to 20mhz broadcasting which cuts the speed in half. So if close to router us 5G for better speeds and less congestion and move to 2.4G if 5 struggles, or acquire some extenders/MESH network to increase the 5G signal internally (BT cover this under their 'Wifi Everywhere' Guarantee I believe

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5468)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules