Sponsored Links

FTTP Preorder appeared but speed 330mb

NTP

Pro Member
Hi
We have had a lot of work done as part of R100 and the BT Wholesale checker changed to say we can get 330MB/50MB on preorder?

bt.gif

A few smaller ISPs seems to let me order up to 300mb but not bt/sky/talktalk and I had hoped to get 900mb.
The checker seems a bit different from other examples I had seen but just hoping I dont have ECI and its just a pre-order issue and it will clear up at some point.
Openreach's own checker says up to 1GB but I dont know if it always says that if FTTP is available even if you have an ECI headend.

I suspect its temporary but just asking for reassurance.

Thanks, there is an area just outside the town (as in its an area by name that starts from the boundary of the town really) I am in that has FTTP which is 1GB and will use the same exchange I suspect as its barely a village so I am not sure if that would indicate anything.
The town itself has very very little FTTP right now I believe.

Sponsored Links
I’d say 330 is much better than 3.5.

We have 350 through Virgin and it’s way more than plenty for us, trying to lower this through them though is a nightmare and I don’t have hours in my day to call them.

Fingers crossed 🤞🏼 gigabit comes soon if that’s what you need 😎

R100 FTTP creates a doughnut effect in single cabinet area's. In the centre close to the cabinet you get good FTTC speeds, then distance drops the speeds and you have an inbetween zone which when R100 was planned you got over 10mbs and so did not qualify, then you get FTTP of the rim for those less than 10mbs. Trouble is in the years since it has been planned the inbetween area has seen speeds drop, both from increased crosstalk as FTTC takeup has been increased and from copper line decay.

Last edited:
Reactions: NTP
As another poster said above, the 330Mbps figure is usually temporary and should flick to 1000Mbps in the very near future.

So orders have finally gone live with all the major ISPs besides Sky who I had been tempted with as thats who I am with now.

Anyone have any idea how long Sky typically takes to update/enable?
Half tempted to go with IDnet on the rolling month just to get the order started.

Sponsored Links
So orders have finally gone live with all the major ISPs besides Sky who I had been tempted with as thats who I am with now.

Half tempted to go with IDnet on the rolling month just to get the order started.
Sky was one of the first one that was available in my case... I still can't order TT or VF... Probably because they are waiting for CF... I'd wait until the weekend. A lot of trackers update around that time... It also took about 3 days until it changed from 330 to 1000 Mbps Max on the BT checker in my case... Could also try and ring up sky?

If Sky is cheaper then I would say by all means go for it, however there’s issues with their Hub 4.2 at the moment where it’ll periodically stop all traffic and some throughput issues as well. I’ve resulted in using a 3rd party hub to overcome this.

It might be that Sky don't have FTTP cablelinks in your particular head-end exchange - or they do, but with insufficient capacity to take new customers.

If that's the case, then it's a question of when Sky decide to order new cablelinks. That is a business decision for them, based on the number of potential customers in that area.

I suggest you phone Sky and ask, pointing out that FTTP is available from other providers. You might be lucky and speak to someone who knows what's going on in your area. They should be keen to retain an existing customer.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules