Sponsored Links

FTTP questions

mageous92

Hi everyone,

i live in a village called Stanton outside Burton-On-Trent. I have noticed that for about 2 months, there has been a coiled fiber cable alongside a 'connectorised' fiber block on the pole outside our house. I think it is a safe assumption that this is FTTP, as it is already available in certain areas of Burton.
I have being checking periodically for the last 2 months for FTTP availability to no avail. I do not think i can contact Openreach directly, and i was considering emailing Digital Derbyshire to see if they could shed any light.

i would love to know, from those who have experienced this, how long does it generally take from the fiber being coiled on the pole, to being available to order?

thanks in advance,

Tom

What does the Openreach fibre checker say for your postcode?

the Openreach fibre checker suggests that we are not currently being considered for upgrade.
I spoke to an Openreach engineer this morning who confirmed it is FTTP but nobody can offer timescales yet.

Sponsored Links
Timescales vary depending on if the build is being done by contractors or Openreach themselves and how busy they are locally.
There is also the issues of wayleaves and traffic management if needed that can cause delays.

Typically, once you see the coils disappear and the underground work is done, it should go live between 4-8 weeks from then.

Hi again,

i contacted Digital Derbyshire who have advised the fibre cable on the pole outside is part of a government scheme to better connect schools in poorly connected areas. (schools next door).
what seems amazing is that it is clearly a subsidized FTTPod installation. That being said it does also have the black block on the pole which i assume is for connecting to premises.
I am curious to know, if i asked for an FTTPod quote from a supplier, would the source be the exchange, costing i can imagine easily 2-3k or so, or as this fibre is already there, would the source come from the pole? which would mean a much cheaper installation as they dont really have to do anything.

i would love to hear from anyone better informed than me on this, as it would be shame to pay for the survey to find out they would need to run an entire new length, which is too must to justify unfortunately at the moment.

Thanks,

Tom

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5513)
  2. BT (3514)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2297)
  5. Business (2261)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2043)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1972)
  9. Statistics (1788)
  10. 4G (1663)
  11. Virgin Media (1619)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1460)
  13. Fibre Optic (1394)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules