Sponsored Links

FTTP to all properties except those using one distribution pole

andyscc

Casual Member
My area has recently been upgraded to FTTP. All properties within a 500m radius of my property can get FTTP however mine cannot and nor can those that are serviced by the same distribution pole (which is less than <10m away from my property). I checked this using the wholesale broadband database.

I have contacted Openreach as I thought there was simply an issue with the wholesale database being out-of-date. However, I have had two replies with differing reasons for why I cannot get FTTP:

1: "I can see that you were in a plan to bring fibre to the premises broadband to your area but the plan has now been cancelled."

2: "I've checked with our project manager of your area and their is no underground duct present from the telegraph pole to your property due to which we are not able to provide you fibre to the premises service through the existing equipment and hence, the plan was cancelled for now."

I have checked the distribution pole and it has an underground duct from a nearby BT manhole. There is a fibre cabled from the ground going to the top of the pole. There is a sign on the pole which reads "fibre overhead". There are numerous distribution/splitter boxes at the top of the pole. There is a "legacy" cable from the pole to my property which currently provides an FTTC connection, no idea why I would now need an underground duct (all of the properties nearby that have been upgraded to FTTP use overhead wires).

Does anyone know who to contract at openreach to resolve this once and for all as I'm just using the form on the openreach website at present?

Attachments

• PXL_20210413_082510936_2.jpg
    PXL_20210413_082510936_2.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 180
It sounds like a data base error, if you can get the DP details off the pole (round badges at face height), message Openreach via Twitter and ask them to verify the details. If you can get the CBT/Fibre node ID too that will help. (Either on a metal plate or written on the yellow fibre label, starting CB or TM).

Thanks for the advise. I have reached out to them on twitter and had the following response:

"The fibre enquiry team have advised there was a project but it was cancelled for the reasons given, some of the work was completed and this would be the fibre node up the pole, this is only a small part of any fibre project as this is not connected to the exchange building and services are not available at this pole, if you contact the community fibre partnership they would be able to look into this and see what's needed and any costs involved."

It would appear the Openreach simply skipped one pole on the street which means that I will have to stick with FTTC or start to make enquires about FTTPoD.

Sponsored Links
I share your pain Andy. I'm in a similar position where neighbours yards away from can get FTTP but others on the same street can't and when pushed Openreach came back with "Project cancelled. Sorry..."

@Mark.J - Seems to be a theme with Openreach lately.

Indeed, it's another odd one. Possibly a combination of the ducts for that pole being full and other poles not having enough capacity to run extra wires.

It is very odd. I've have another quick look at all the poles and there seems to be one that is a "spur" (not sure what the correct term is) of the one that I am connected to as it has no cabling to the ground. I have checked the openreach wholesale db and the properties which use this pole can get FTTP!?! In my frustration, and attempt to communicate the issue to openreach, I have made a crude map showing how strange the situation is.

I have asked openreach to explain this. My alternative option is to ask that I am connected to a different pole as my property has 3 within 20m, 2 of which offer FTTP. Do you know if it is possible to request this?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    116.1 KB · Views: 222
Seems bizarre to me and in theory it does appear you have at least one other poll that could serve your property. Openreach are currently installing in my area and in circumstances like yours all they appear to do is to run the fibre overhead from one poll to the next to avoid going underground on the final link. They have also made a significant effort to unblock ducting and install new ducting when required as well as replacing numerous polls. Out of interest who is the contractor working on your area? MJ Quinn are in my area and they made the point that once Openreach do an area they connect everyone which is in their interest given they have issues a stop sell for non FTTP services for later this year. Have they issued the same notice in your area? Mark has covered this in various news articles.

If all else fails I would suggest the email to CEO approach as it sounds like some senior influence would be useful.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. I don't know who the contractor is but will try and find out.

I managed to speak to someone at openreach yesterday (he rang me after I used the online chat function). He too though the rationale I had been given was problematic. He escalated my case and today I got an email from someone else at openreach to say that the local project manager would be investigating the issue. I've been told that they will let me know the outcome mid next week. Fingers-crossed

Just a quick update... Openreach have agreed to supply upgrade the network so that my house can get FTTP by the end of this quarter. I suppose the lesson here is to be persistent!

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules