Sponsored Links

Fttp via new poles, via grant any ideas

Bagenz

Casual Member
Hi, I applied last year for a grant to get FTTP as I was never going to get it otherwise,
It all went real quite untill yesterday.
BT knocked on the door doing the survey, said i will get a pole installed outside my house and it should be in arround 2 months time.
Do I have to wait to they put the box on the wall then order it from bt or is this basically ordered and going live on that day and my old 1 getting turned off,

When the pole and any infrastructure is in place, Openreach (or more likely a contractor working for them) will install a CBT (Connectorised Block Terminal) on the pole and connect the Fibre up to it. There will then a little yellow warning sign on the pole saying "Warning Overhead Fibre". Sometime later, possibly a month or more, BT and even later other service providers, may invite you to take Full Fibre service. BT may even offer (if you are lucky) to upgrade you to Full Fibre at no extra cost on your existing broadband contract.

Once you accept the FTTP by BT or another ISP, at some point you will get a scheduled engineer visit from Openreach who will connect the Fibre from the pole to your house, provide an ONT on your wall at a location to suit you and then connect the Smart Hub to it. On the date that they provide service, your existing provider will hand over the phone number associated with your line to your new service provider and you may get to keep your existing phone number. [If you are unlucky your old phone number will disappear in a melting pot to be allocated to some unsuspecting person who didn't want it years later. Sorry to sound bitter but this happened to me]

That is my understanding based on my experience of getting FTTP from a new pole installed by Openreach.

Thanks for the answer.
Think mine may be different, as they stated im getting a box put on my wall also, I was possibly getting it underground as I was going to dig the trench from pavement to my wall, he agreed to where it would enter, I just wondered as its a grant if everything was getting done at once.
Been tokd it should be in within 2 months unless they hit a snag.

Sponsored Links
4 people are getting it. 2 poles are going up and armoured cable from pole to the house, then a little box outside on the wall, he said its best if bix goes to the middle of the house.

Last edited:
I got fttp from a newly installed pole via overhead cable to the property.
The cable runs down from the roof to ground level where it goes into a box attached to the wall. The fibre inside this box is then spliced and joined to another piece which goes through the wall and into the ONT inside the house. hope this helps.Only got 74mbps with BT but is sure beats the old adsl2 speed of 8mbps

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules