Sponsored Links

FTTPod Full Survey vs Desktop Survey rates?

Anth

Top Member
I am starting this topic to ask for people to please post if they get an actual full survey carried out what the price is compared to the estimated desktop survey.

I ask as in January of this year I was estimated £2600 build costs. A Price that was reasonable and would (and should) have taken up. But I foolishly waited for the end of the rainbow Februaty 1st price change. And now I am quoted £20,600 costs.

The suggestion is you can take a £250 + VAT gamble and see what you get in actual costs to see if it matches the first or second build cost. But its an expensive roll of the dice.

I am really curious if people get the full survey done how the prices match up with the new February 1st desktop survey. I suspect many others are too. Hence why I started this topic to ask those who do to please post their results here.

I doubt it would be anywhere near the pre Feb prices, just my opinion but the old FTTPoD build prices was way too good to be true knowing how much it costs to run in fibre for things like EAD.

Your lucky its at 20k, most people are being quoted almost 40k from what I have seen.

I suspect there won't be too many answers to this question, at least not for a little while longer. The new prices only came in during Feb 2018 and anybody who decides to proceed (likely to be less after the true costs became less) will then need to wait a bit longer to get the full survey quote done. This will reflect only a small number of orders.

However I am still talking to ISPs about the on-going FTTPoD costs and one in particular is being extremely helpful. Hopefully a little later this year we might have enough data to actually answer the final survey question.

Sponsored Links
I was quoted £21800 late last year. I sent away for a full survey a couple of days ago. Wish me luck.

I was quoted £21800 late last year. I sent away for a full survey a couple of days ago. Wish me luck.

Let us know how you get on :) .

Sponsored Links
In the long term FTTPod will work out much cheaper. I have my fingers crossed that it will come in a good bit less than £21800.

Not just an opinion, but generally fact. You can easily get 100/100, fully managed, over 3 years, for circa 5k a year with free install, complete with 5 or 6 hour SLAs.

For the 22k install price and then the 3 year subscription on the OR prices its prob more like 24-25k? Over 3 years that could easy pay for a 500 meg line depending where it is in the country?

FTTPoD really is being priced out of normal residential customers reach and the small businesses market to protect the OR EAD circuit market.

A lot of FoD packages can be taken with 12 month terms now, which means that after the first year the customer can at least swap to a vanilla FTTP service at a fairly cheap rate from BT, Zen, iDNET, Freeola etc.

A lot of FoD packages can be taken with 12 month terms now, which means that after the first year the customer can at least swap to a vanilla FTTP service at a fairly cheap rate from BT, Zen, iDNET, Freeola etc.

Is it not a 3 year contract with OR any more?

Sponsored Links
I'm going with Cerberus, they have a one year contract £100 per month plus VAT. After a year it drops to £50 per month. I'm located a mile
from a small village
in the countryside of Northern Ireland.

Very few Ethernet circuits will be delivered for free install at a similar location to a FoD order with a £8K+ construction charge - so FoD will always come out cheaper I'm afraid.

For example FoD £100 per month / 12 months + £8k install before voucher
then ~£50 / month onwards.
EAD ~£400 per month / 36 months + ECC or ~£700 per month / 36 month spreading the ECC over contract term

If FoD has an install charge then the EAD to the same location will have ECC. Very rarely will a TNode be closer than the NGA Agg Node in most areas and the build cost is similar, the difference being any ECC on the ethernet tail upto £2800 will be absorbed, while FoD will discount for other prem passed.

The only way to compare is to complete a FoD Order Survey (£250) and progress an EAD order to survey. The headline Ethernet quote is never the full story.

Is it not a 3 year contract with OR any more?

They dropped that when the pricing was revised, so a number of ISPs have adopted 12 month FoD terms. Of course providers can still ramp up the cost elsewhere to compensate, such as in higher rentals.

When I applied through Cerberus for FoD they couldn't give me a desktop quote, saying that they needed to perform a full survey, and that the distance to the aggregation node was between 2km - 3km away.

After getting a full survey completed the full price back is £16.5k (incl VAT and without refund voucher).

It took some time post the OR onsite presence to get the quote but that might be because I now understand fibre might be going in not too far away (top of the Lane). Though there was a complaint in progress with the local residents about fibre pole placement, so I don't know whether my installation would be before that local run...

That then begs the question about whether my fibre might be installed first and I'm paying for a 2km run, or if it won't be installed until the local feeds are installed so my run becomes cheaper. Unfortunately OR don't release the expected fibre run withe the quote...

Sponsored Links
I'm getting my full survey this coming Saturday, the surveyor wanted me to be home to discuss wiring. Are there any questions I should be asking him that would be of interest to you guys?

I was talking to the Openreach surveyor on Saturday. The Aggregation node is right next to my FTTC cab which is 1.5Km from my house. 600m of the current copper line is buried in the verge beside the road, no ducting, right in the soil. He couldn't understand why but said the install will be expensive because of this. They will either install phone line poles at £600 per pole or plough a trench along the same path as the existing line. I'm still hoping it will be cheaper than my desktop survey £21800 but I'm more prepared that it will be close to this.

My ISDN line was put under the ground beside a track next to a ditch, it was broken during ditch clearing about every 2 years, it was only 4 to 6 inches below the surface, I expected 18 inches depth.

I finally got my quote through today. The desktop quote was £21800 + VAT my final quote is £10191 + VAT. Im over the moon can't wait to get it installed now.

This includes the reduction for the survey and a deduction of £1,100.00 for premises passed. A breakdown of the charges is below:
Labour
£3,571.00​
Contract Labour
£3,731.00​
Civils
£1,676.00​
Stores
£2,068.00​
BT Connection Charge
£495.00​
Deduction
£-1,100.00​
Field Survey charge paid
£-250.00​
Total
£10,191.00

Pricing valid for 28 days. Excludes VAT.

£1,100 deduction is made up of 8x £50 per premises enabled as a consequence of the build and £700.00 for your FTTPoD order.

Last edited:
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules