Sponsored Links

FUP on EE unlimited plans

Surely if a provider has a FUP in place, and you exceed that and they slow your services or whatever, complaining will be absolutely pointless as they will refer you to the terms, so seems a waste of everyone’s time seeing as you agreed it’s a FUP on sign up?

That is debatable. If they declare in an official document that they do not apply traffic management to heavy users and then they do precisely that, you absolutely have grounds for a complaint.

Similarly, if their terms state that they have the right to "deprioritise your mobile traffic during busy periods, or to move you to a business plan" but then they throttle you 24/7 to the point where your service becomes useless, you also probably should object.

And more generally, if you sign up for an unlimited plan advertised as a service with which you can "download a film ... in just a few minutes" or which "is particularly good for streaming high-resolution games" but then they only allow you to download 5 films, stream 32 hours of 4K games and do absolutely nothing else all month, one could argue that the service is not truly unlimited.

I would bet than an average family can easily download more than 5 films per month and stream games for longer than an hour a day, in addition to doing other things, such as WFH video calls or cloud backup.

So the question is not really what you signed up for but whether the unlimited service is being falsely advertised and whether it should, therefore, either be called a 600GB plan, or be sold without the restrictive FUP.

What i find funny is on EE's website, if you choose their top 5G router, you have an option of getting an unlimited sim for £55 a month, or a 750GB sim for £50 a month. But aren't you technically getting more data with the 750GB one?

Very interesting! Maybe what action they take depends on if the area is facing congestion issues, I would/will certainly complain if it happens to me, sim should arrive tomorrow but we are having issues with our post currently.
Also we're looking at different behaviours, Kobi did 1TB of traffic in just a few days, whereas Sceptical fox did his 2TB spread over 1 month, it might have triggered different limits on EE side.

What i find funny is on EE's website, if you choose their top 5G router, you have an option of getting an unlimited sim for £55 a month, or a 750GB sim for £50 a month. But aren't you technically getting more data with the 750GB one?
It could well be they are treating these customers differently.

Funny enough i hammered my EE sim several months back. I had a load balanced router and had my EE sim as back up. But once my main sim dropped, it never came back on, so it was all EE. I must of used about 1TB worth in 4-5 days and i would of kept going at that rate if i hadn't noticed my speeds had dropped to a crippling slow speed. Took it off the load balanced router and it was still the same, they had capped my speed to the low single digits. I could still send whatsapp messages and look at the odd website, but forget streaming. didn't return to normal till the monthly refresh
I suspect they started treating you as having 'run out of data' - their website now has a section 'What you'll get with mobile broadband' and a section under this which states:

"Stay connected if your data runs out​

No data? No worries. We're the only network that keeps you connected even if you use up your monthly allowance."

However, it does seem unfair that a low fup (in comparison to other providers) can still be called 'unlimited'. In these circumstances, the fup limit should be the advertised plan and 'unlimited' should mean that - especially if an 'unlimited' fup policy would be 'spanked' by an average household streaming 4k video, regularly gaming or making use of cloud storage etc.

Finally got my EE sim today, not bad speed considering only one 20Mhz carrier seems to be rolled out here, will see if its the same once I go over the FUP

After extensive testing with a fresh non-FUP'd unlimited SIM and one that has used over 3.2TB of data this month, the results indicate that there is currently no traffic management being applied to my account.

Last edited:
After extensive testing with a fresh non-FUP'd unlimited SIM and one that has used over 3.2TB of data this month, the results indicate that that there is currently no traffic management being applied to my account.
Thanks for testing, i will probably go over the FUP 2 weeks into my month, a heavy user in my area may have more impact due to the low amount of deployed capacity, but will have to see if these areas are treated any differently to yours or if they are not enforcing the FUP for anyone.
I wont be able to reach your level of usage though 😅

Thanks for testing, i will probably go over the FUP 2 weeks into my month, a heavy user in my area may have more impact due to the low amount of deployed capacity, but will have to see if these areas are treated any differently to yours or if they are not enforcing the FUP for anyone.
I wont be able to reach your level of usage though 😅
They could average it over a few months, and then decide to slow it down if the FUP is continually breached.

Such with other networks, their policies talk about going over X amount X times in X amount of months they may need to review it.

Noticed this limit in my EE account, anyone else have it?
Screenshot 2021-12-11 130446.jpg
Screenshot 2021-12-11 130430.jpg

Same here, null null of null, but my account is regular, Not business.

Attachments

• Image1374708304220614525.jpg
    Image1374708304220614525.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 127
I think "null null" applies to everyone on those who signed up before the 600GB limit.

I'm not sure if the 600GB limit also applies to new Business tariffs though.

Also if anyone here is being throttled, are you using over 10 devices?

I signed up to EE the other day and I'm cancelling in my 14 days. I hate it. The call quality is absolute shite even though I'm on VoLTE. Also, when you sign up, did anyone else get charged £50 as "service deposit"?

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules