Sponsored Links

FUP on EE unlimited plans

Sceptical fox

It seems that the FUP data limit on EE unlimited plans has gone down from 1000 to 600GB per month.

We will consider usage above 600GB/month to be non-personal use and have the right to apply traffic management controls to deprioritise your mobile traffic during busy periods or to move you to a business plan.

Has anyone got first-hand experience with exceeding the limit? I have searched everywhere (including ISPreview) but couldn't find anything useful - presumably because it's really hard to use more than 600/1000GB per month!

I replaced my faulty BT FTTC line with EE 5G and so far haven't been able to exceed 400GB with both me and wife working from home, plenty of streaming and downloads.

It could easily be done I guess, but what's the worst that could happen if they really notice you, move you to a truly unlimited business subscription for £50? I could imagine worse things.. :)

You're right, that wouldn't be the end of the world. Traffic management controls, on the other hand...

Anyway, just like with the tethering limit, I might go for it and deal with the consequences if/when they occur.

Sponsored Links
I have that deal and currently haven’t connected all my devices as am using it for video calls and don’t want to have traffic management put in midway through the month. Would be interested to hear if anyone has any experience though? Also wether EE would notice if I had 30 devices connected to my 4g router (all laptops, smart speakers, TVs etc) as I purchased the unlimited EE sim for mobile phone with tethering.

Lucian, you're right, though this document seems to partially contradict the monthly plans T&Cs, where they expressly refer to traffic management controls.

Anyway, I am quite likely to exceed my monthly FUP limit sometime soon, so if I do, I will report back to let you know what happened.

I have that deal and currently haven’t connected all my devices as am using it for video calls and don’t want to have traffic management put in midway through the month. Would be interested to hear if anyone has any experience though? Also wether EE would notice if I had 30 devices connected to my 4g router (all laptops, smart speakers, TVs etc) as I purchased the unlimited EE sim for mobile phone with tethering.

Yes, they probably would notice. The question is whether they really care.

Running VPN on your router should reliably mask the number of conencted devices. Wireguard on a device with enough processing power would be the best choice in terms of speed. I use my 5G device as a gateway and then a separate Openwrt router with VPN on it. It works surprisingly well.

I started a separate thread on the subject: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/threads/vpn-to-bypass-tethering-limit.36761/

Sponsored Links
I am tempted to just go with it and see what happens. I would rather be asked to upgrade than get traffic management applied though I think.

That document is interesting though it appears like traffic management does not actually do much if anything?

Agreed, being forced to upgrade is definitely the better option. But upgrade to what? There don't seem to be any plans which would be subject to different FUP terms, not even small business plans.

And yes, there is currently no disclosed traffic management policy in place with EE. If you read their forums, they even consistently state that they don't throttle or otherwise restrict traffic on their network.

Ofcom has historically been rather unsupportive of attempts to apply traffic management, unless it's clearly communicated to customers that such a policy exists. Similarly, the ASA has in the past ruled against providers using the word 'unlimited' to advertise products which aren't truly unlimited.

This, I believe, would make it difficult for EE to either start applying traffic management, or demand that customers upgrade.

But as you said, there is only one way to find out what happens. Perhaps in the end, we will need to ask the regulators to decide whether EE's fair usage policy is indeed fair.

Sponsored Links
They have unlimited business accounts for ~£50, there is no limit there afaik.

Ref the small business plan: 6: Unlimited Data Plans: Unlimited data allowance for your sole use only. Roaming in EU/EEA is subject to 60GB per month fair use policy and limited to three months of continuous roaming. Unlimited Plans are not available with any other discount or promotion. We may consider usage above 1000GB/month to be excessive and have the right to move you to a more suitable plan.

Sponsored Links
That is a good question. Do you think you'll get in that situation?
If you do find out, please share your findings with us.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules