Sponsored Links

G.Fast availability

Ultim8um

Casual Member
We have a double street cab just up the road from us (it is towards one end of our street) but it only seems to cover premises that have a copper line from its adjacent telephone pole (according to the BT Broadband Ultrafast checker)? I have checked and if I put in any of the house numbers served by this pole / cabinet then I could apparently order G.fast from BT immediately!?!? The street cab doesn't appear to have a G.Fast pod attached either? I have checked various property numbers against the ultrafast checker and it seems it is only this cluster at the end of our street that are allegedly enabled? We are connected to the Donnington exchange in Telford.

Any body know if this is normal? What is the usual range from cab to premises that would give a good speed (I get 74Mb on Infinity 2 which is the fastest I can get or a fairly steady 9MB's downloading from Steam for comparison) on G.Fast? I assume as we currently get 74Mb+ that we should also get a pretty decent speed from G.Fast...? The only reason I am posting this is that we are at the end of our contract with TalkTalk anyway and its only £28 a month for Ultrafast 1 vs £25+for what we have now.

Are you sure those houses can order G.fast and not FTTP? What do you see when you put the address or phone number into DSL checker - it should show G.fast estimates if it is available.

If you get less than 80Mbps on FTTC then you are probably not going to benefit from G.fast as the speeds drop off much more rapidly than FTTC and you would probably end up with less upstream speed and only a similar downstream speed.

Regarding costs I thought BT charged £55-60 for Ultrafast speeds?

I get 75.2Mbps avg and 76+Mbps burst out of a theoretical maximum of 80Mbps on Infinity 2 so I would have thought I would be able to get a pretty reasonable upgrade on G.Fast? Attached are screenshots for the house with the street cab on the Ultrafast checker etc saying it is available to order!

Attachments

• Ultra.JPG
    Ultra.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 121
  • Ultra1.JPG
    Ultra1.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 138
Sponsored Links
House no. 125 gets the following estimate for G.fast:

G.fast Range A (Clean)249.1218.636.216.1182Amber--
G.fast Range B (Impacted)200.9141.224.711.9125.1Amber--

What do you get for your house (using your telephone number).

Are you on the same cabinet? Perhaps these houses are served by a different cabinet - there will be a G.fast pod somewhere serving them.

Looks like 115 can get G.fast but 113 can't - if you look at the VDSL speed estimates the minimum downstream is lower for 113 compared with 115 so the line length to the cabinet is probably too long for G.fast.

Yeah I went for a walk and have used Google maps to scout my immediate area and the cabs are untouched since the images were taken in 2011 (at least to look at externally). The Cab in question is outside 127 technically and 125 is the adjoining semi-detached. AFAIK every property connected to the telephone pole nearest this cab seems to be able to get G.Fast according to the checker I used but nothing else is further down the street (we are on the very next pole!). There is no Pod attached to the cab as yet and nothing around it either that could be!? Just wondering if there is anything below ground as there are lots of CATV covers all down the street (this being Telford we are well served by Virgin).

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I used the address lookup on the page you suggested as I could find no easy way to get my UPRN etc (and its a TalkTalk line so the phone number won't work either). This generated the following data which I have snipped and attached.

Thanks, I used the address lookup on the page you suggested as I could find no easy way to get my UPRN etc (and its a TalkTalk line so the phone number won't work either). This generated the following data which I have snipped and attached.View attachment 87

As you're with TalkTalk, take a look at this link: https://www.talktalk.co.uk/shop/broadband/gfast

Search your address there, if you can get it you'll be given a number to call. They are a team in the UK and will be able to process your upgrade if you can indeed get g.Fast.

Cheers Guys for the info, TalkTalk's G.Fast page says nowt doing for anything on my street vs BT's which says the end nearest the main road is live and you can order! Guess it is a waiting game now!

Sponsored Links
G.Fast is now live in my area but TalkTalk haven't expanded their trial area beyond the initial 11 areas originally connected by BT / Openreach. Trying to find out when / if they will do a general rollout is like trying to get blood from a stone! Apparently customers will get an email when it is available in their area :(

Why gfast upload speed is so garbage is not even symmetrical. Big scam and pricey. I expect same upload speed as download.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules