Sponsored Links

G.Fast Cabinet Question

I live close to my green cabinet, noticed the last few days with the slightly warmer weather than it's generating a lot of noise. Guessing a fan inside is working to keep it cool?

Anyone know if this is the normal behaviour? Just wondering about the summer sun and if it's going to melt it's insides ;)

If you think about a larger laptop or normal desktop computer, all of the more powerful kit has a fan that adjusts to increase its speed as the thermal (heat) rises. So yes, fans are pretty normal, although unless they're getting worn then you'd probably only notice the sound when walking close to such cabs (doing all that vectoring on G.fast is highly CPU intensive stuff and heat can be an issue). In terms of the summer sun.

All of this stuff is tested and designed to work under challenging conditions so I'd assume everything will be fine. It's not like the UK is the hottest country where you'll find G.fast deployments.

If you think about a larger laptop or normal desktop computer, all of the more powerful kit has a fan that adjusts to increase its speed as the thermal (heat) rises. So yes, fans are pretty normal, although unless they're getting worn then you'd probably only notice the sound when walking close to such cabs (doing all that vectoring on G.fast is highly CPU intensive stuff and heat can be an issue). In terms of the summer sun.

All of this stuff is tested and designed to work under challenging conditions so I'd assume everything will be fine. It's not like the UK is the hottest country where you'll find G.fast deployments.

True. All of the years I have seen green cabs, never heard anything like it. It can be heard from the other side of the street, I guessed that it would be the norm.

Sponsored Links
If it's still loud from the other side of the street (i.e. not just a mild hum..) then it might be worth just noting that to Openreach. I don't know how they design the fans but if they're using bearings then those may have become worn.

If it's still loud from the other side of the street (i.e. not just a mild hum..) then it might be worth just noting that to Openreach. I don't know how they design the fans but if they're using bearings then those may have become worn.

I asked, they said it's normal.

It isn't normal but it is common. I've seen three cabinets doing it now. (All Huawei ones). A cabinet around us had a huge paper notice plastered to the front of the cabinet telling BT that they needed to fix it as it was affecting the neighbours sleep.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules