Sponsored Links

G.fast in the street, but not for me?

Hardwire

Hello Guys,

Using Open Reach checker I have found that I can only get the FTTC I currently have, likewise for next door to my right.

However...next door to my left (all terraced and this is further away from the telephone pole) CAN get g.fast service as can the house two doors to my right.

Does anyone have any clue as to why this may be at all? Also given there is G.fast in the street, am I unlikely to see FTTP anytime soon? (I am really after bigger upload speed as a photographer).

Answers on a postcard to...

Unfortunately location of property with regards to adjacent property and phone lines does not always mean the same cable routes. Your phone line could go around the houses (literally) compared to your neighbours. Their line lengths to the street cabinet could be just short enough for G.FAST whereas yours might just be over the threshold for G.FAST services. It's primarily line length to the FTTC/G.FAST street cabinet that affects whether you can get service, no matter how physically close to the pole your line comes off you are.

Unfortunately location of property with regards to adjacent property and phone lines does not always mean the same cable routes. Your phone line could go around the houses (literally) compared to your neighbours. Their line lengths to the street cabinet could be just short enough for G.FAST whereas yours might just be over the threshold for G.FAST services. It's primarily line length to the FTTC/G.FAST street cabinet that affects whether you can get service, no matter how physically close to the pole your line comes off you are.
Thanks Flilot, I should have said in my post that this is not the case as we are served by a telephone pole and you can see we are all served by the same pole (the cables can be seen running from the pole to each of the houses mentioned). Otherwise I would agree with you and understand :D

Sponsored Links
Thanks Flilot, I should have said in my post that this is not the case as we are served by a telephone pole and you can see we are all served by the same pole (the cables can be seen running from the pole to each of the houses mentioned). Otherwise I would agree with you and understand :D
It's what lies beneath that is the issue. Lines going to the same pole means nothing, its where they go underground from the pole that's the issue. If yours takes a slightly different underground route than the others, it could be too long a line length to obtain G.FAST service. Your line could also be connected to a different cabinet than your neighbours (rare, but it happens).

Sorry for the delay in reply, was away etc. My line length is sub 300m as I have had engineers try to up the speed on the line in the past (my FTTC on the 80/20 dropped below 40/20 at one point) and it was measured to be about 297m from house to the cab.

Guess I will just have to wait, just a little frustrating. I am currently in our family holiday home on the south coast of Spain enjoying 300/300 for which we pay 24.99 euros a month for....makes the UK internet connections seem rather last century :(

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules