Sponsored Links

G.Fast Speed Capped by OR or ISPs

So when G.Fast became available on our cabinet I upgraded, but had to do this over the phone as the status is Amber (meaning requires engineer install), we were told that the maximum speed we could get was the 160 package even though the higher speeds were initially showing for our cab.

Engineer done the install and confirmed my line could reach the higher speeds without issues, but why would OR or ISPs (I think its more likely to be OR) be capping the speeds so that only 160Mbps can be provided.

Is it because the service has only been available for a few months? Do they wait until the cab has got more connections to see how they perform before increasing?

What estimates (clean and impacted) does the BT Wholesale DSL Checker give for your specific line?

clean down 330 high, 257.2 low
impact down 305.5 high, 236.8 low

engineer was saying that he observed 356 attainable

Sponsored Links
Ok that's an odd one, did you only check via one ISP or try to see if the result was the same elsewhere?

The ISP can only go off what the OR checker says, if your one of the first on the cab cross talk when the cab becomes full will impact on the obtainable sync speed.

The ISP can only go off what the OR checker says, if your one of the first on the cab cross talk when the cab becomes full will impact on the obtainable sync speed.

vectoring is mandatory, crosstalk shouldn’t be an issue? My own g.fast experience with Zen is similar. OR engineer told me I was syncing at 360Mbps-ish but Zen portal shows 303Mbps.

Sponsored Links
vectoring is mandatory, crosstalk shouldn’t be an issue? My own g.fast experience with Zen is similar. OR engineer told me I was syncing at 360Mbps-ish but Zen portal shows 303Mbps.

Cross talk cant be eliminated completely vectoring will just lessen the impact.

Are you sure that is the sync speed and not the IP profile that you have been given by BTwholesale?

I was 2nd user on our g.fast cab, so the installations all show as Amber (require engineer), but not sure why punch in my number and postcode it reports full speed.

If I go to Zen and enter both my postcode and number it shows me the UF4 package, but when I called I was told I could only get the 160Mbps package.

If I go to BT or Sky it only shows the 160Mbps package available.

Current Status (from Zen Portal)

Capture.JPG

just tested from my deco m5 and gettting 137.8Mbps down and 28.6Mbps up. I have reached 142Mbps down

Not sure how often the g.fast maximum observed speeds are updated on the bt checker site as currently that is blank

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5468)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules