Sponsored Links

G.Fast throughput

Since December 2018 I have had g.fast with TalkTalk, it only dawned on me a few weeks ago that I have never reached the guaranteed 290mb downstream. The most I have reached is 240mb, and whilst I am lucky to have that I am paying for more and feel entitled to it.

I have a Huawai MT992 which the TalkTalk Wifi Hub connects, I have run speed tests during peak and non-peak times, over wireless and wired with just my laptop connected.

Have worked in tech support for years so understand how to troubleshoot.

TalkTalk have taken a look, they see 350mb when testing to the router. They sent me a replacement router which didn't improve things at all.

My line is short, when the BT OR engineer installed the line his equipment synced at 500mb.

So is the hardware at fault here? Do I spend money on a new router to connect to the Huawai? I'll need one that has a WAN port of course. There is a limited selection of routers which support g.fast natively.

Any suggestions most welcome.

Last edited:
A part of me wants to say, "You're seriously not happy with 240Mbps on G.fast?," but I take your point and am just jealous :).

I assume by "guaranteed" you mean that 290Mbps is the figure given by TalkTalk for MGALS "minimum guaranteed access line speed"? If so that's pretty good for G.fast, although I'd be interested to know what the BT Wholesale DSL Checker predicts for the clean and impacted profiles for your line? Router stats might also help.

One problem here is that speed testing in general becomes increasingly unreliable when you get into the hundreds of Megabits per second. I've found a lot of fluctuations and all sorts of other issues - such as within your network, computers or server locations - can also start to play a part in poor results. If the line itself is good then the issue may also be capacity on the ISP's network.

A part of me wants to say, "You're seriously not happy with 240Mbps on G.fast?," but I take your point and am just jealous :).
Sorry, not trying to rub it in....
I assume by "guaranteed" you mean that 290Mbps is the figure given by TalkTalk for MGALS "minimum guaranteed access line speed"? If so that's pretty good for G.fast, although I'd be interested to know what the BT Wholesale DSL Checker predicts for the clean and impacted profiles for your line? Router stats might also help.
Yes it would be nice, but I don't have access to the modem? Unless I'm wrong here.
One problem here is that speed testing in general becomes increasingly unreliable when you get into the hundreds of Megabits per second. I've found a lot of fluctuations and all sorts of other issues - such as within your network, computers or server locations - can also start to play a part in poor results. If the line itself is good then the issue may also be capacity on the ISP's network.
Valid point, but I don't think neither are the issue here.

Anyway, an update for you. I plugged my Macbook directly into the modem and bam.... 300mb!

Which tells me that the Wifi Hub is the problem here, which is what I suspected from the start. I have reported my findings to the person I have been in contact with at TT.

It might be to get the best use out of the service that I will need to purchase my own device, lets see.

Sponsored Links
That's pretty poor, given that you saw the same speed issue when wired to TalkTalk's router. Something clearly isn't right if you'd losing c.60Mbps through even wired LAN connectivity between the modem and router. This is the sort of problem that should have been picked up by the ISP via internal testing.

At this point it would be super handy to find others on TalkTalk with a similarly capable line, to see if this is a widespread issue on their Hub. I'm not a user of the ISP but if you come across any on their members-only community forum then it might be worth asking them to conduct the same test.

Otherwise please keep us updated on this Glovepup and if you run into a brick wall then let me know and I'll add some media pressure :) .

That's pretty poor, given that you saw the same speed issue when wired to TalkTalk's router. Something clearly isn't right if you'd losing c.60Mbps through even wired LAN connectivity between the modem and router. This is the sort of problem that should have been picked up by the ISP via internal testing.

Yes you would think.

Part of me wonders if it's a config issue? Challenge here is the Wifi-Hub is pretty basic in terms of functionality for the end-user.

At this point it would be super handy to find others on TalkTalk with a similarly capable line, to see if this is a widespread issue on their Hub. I'm not a user of the ISP but if you come across any on their members-only community forum then it might be worth asking them to conduct the same test.

Yes have thought about doing this, my contact at TalkTalk has been responsive and are concerned by what I have found.

Otherwise please keep us updated on this Glovepup and if you run into a brick wall then let me know and I'll add some media pressure :) .

Will do, thanks for the offer.

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules