Sponsored Links

G.Slow

So here's a depressing thread. Just had G."Fast" fitted. Posted my dslchecker results a few weeks back, but basically suffice it to say that clean range was something like 180mbit + and impacted could be as low as 90-something.

Today G.Slow got installed. The OR engineer said it was coming back at 180-something megabits but with less upload than I had now. I decided to keep it but now that I've had a chance to actually run a speed test ... im getting much lower download. 60 mbit (on VDSL I got 80) ... so should I wait to see if it corrects itself as this is under the minimum guaranteed speed and even lower than VDSL obviously I don't want to pay for this.

Attachments

• g.slow-2.png
    g.slow-2.png
    67.7 KB · Views: 125
Small update, called the ISP (EE) and they first argued about leaving it to settle then ran some tests. The tests came back showing a fault, so they will get OR to investigate. But it's literally hours since OR visited, ran all their tests but we shall see. It's also possible i just need to calm down and wait... but not a good start. Lower speed in both directions than when I was on VDSL yesterday.

Did they give you any indication of what fault had been detected?

Sponsored Links
All the operator would tell me is that the test came back with an "OD code external fault". I think she was probably a first liner, having to deal with someone technical... anyway I've got an email from her with a reference number and awaiting the result as that's all I know right now. I'm oping that something is awry and I can get a decent speed.

This is what i got when I signed up :

Download Speed between 96.4 Mb/s and 150.0 Mb/s

Upload Speed between 7.7 Mb/s and 25.0 Mb/s

Minimum Guaranteed Download speed 86.50 Mb/s

i'm well below that minimum guarantee so I guess I should be free to cancel, but rather hoping this can be fixed

This is what i got when I signed up :

Download Speed between 96.4 Mb/s and 150.0 Mb/s

Upload Speed between 7.7 Mb/s and 25.0 Mb/s

Minimum Guaranteed Download speed 86.50 Mb/s

i'm well below that minimum guarantee so I guess I should be free to cancel, but rather hoping this can be fixed

I have G.Fast and I get the full 300mb, one of the lucky few.

My fingers and toes are crossed for you.

Sponsored Links
No they did not and it has now been removed. I was given a choice of keeping it and paying full whack (yes, no discount) or since it didn't meet the guaranteed speed I could cancel without charge.

I asked about the status of the line fault and was told it was "cleared" by openreach whatever that meant. I decided to cancel and am continuing to keep my flaky virgin media connection with three 4G backup (that gives me 60/30 which is nice)

real shame as I really wanted to ditch VM and use G.Fast and VDSL but I think my line is just too long (openreach says i'm 298 metres)

All the money BT wasted investing in G.fast would have been better spent getting fibre to communities. The reach in real life is nothing like BT said it would reach withour further expenditure of more cabinets down streets. Only street near me has another smaller cabinet halfway down to make G.fast get further next time I am near it I will take a picture.

All the money BT wasted investing in G.fast would have been better spent getting fibre to communities. The reach in real life is nothing like BT said it would reach withour further expenditure of more cabinets down streets. Only street near me has another smaller cabinet halfway down to make G.fast get further next time I am near it I will take a picture.

Even though I have benefited from G.Fast, I agree.

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules