Sponsored Links

General rant about mobiles

I just need to take out my frustration somewhere, so excuse the outburst!

GRRRRRRRRR STUPID O2!!!

I've been having problems the past 2/3 weeks where sending txt messages has been erratic. Frequently the phone just refuses to send the txt ("Error sending message") and I have to retry, and retry and retry. Sometimes it never works, sometimes after a few goes it works!

I've also been getting times when people try to ring me, they get 'number not available' messages too.
And on the odd occasion i've sent TXT messages and all the person on the receiving end got was all .'s where my message should have been!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

If anyone has had similar on O2, or can give me any clues then PLEASE do tell!
O2 have sent a replacement sim, and just waiting for them to activate it see if that makes a diff. After that its time to swap the phone and get that replaced.
After that I have no ideas!!!

(general ranting over, thank you for your time!)

why not just get rid of 02 and go elswhere.

two problems unfortunately, i'm still in my first year contract with them (i'm on contract not P-A-Y-G)
Also, i only moved from Orange because i was starting to pay upwards of £50 a month mobile bills, so needed to move to a network with more free usage minutes/txt's.
Hence going to O2.

I suspect its more a fault rather than the network as it seems this kinda problem is isolated, but i'm interested in hearing back from other O2 users if they have similar woes!

Sponsored Links
hmm, are you contract or pay-as-you-go rob?? just curious as my brother is PAYG and has never had problems.

I'm on O2 contract and I've not noticed these problems. The only problem I have is with one individual, I cannot use the reply function to reply to his text messages, I have to send a new text from scratch. Strange.

hi froggy,
i used to have this and a quick change worked in my phone settings, so maybe worth a go!

go into messages setup and look for reply path. If its ON try turning it off. This is supposed to set which sms centre your txt replies go through.

It seemed to work for me a while back when i had that problem.

Sponsored Links
:( checked the centre number with o2, as they only have one for PAYG and one for monthly customers.

I'm waiting on the activation of my replacement SIM to see if thats the source of trouble :mad:

This may be better placed in the Mobile Phones section, either way it's my experience that such problems are normally related to having an older (two years+) phone. What’s yours?

Oops, good point Mark, didn't realise there was such a section, pls feel free to move the topic if you have relevant admin rights.

The phone is about 5 months old, Samsung TGH-T100 pretty colour screen one :D

so not that either :(

Sponsored Links
unfortunately yes!
Was the first thing o2 suggested, so i swapped it with my brothers, and both worked fine for 2 days :(

Its a real puzzler this one to be honest.

Its not just O2 or old phones, a mate has had this problem for over a year using 2 different phones on Orange.
My sis has been getting it recently as well and I had it a couple of years ago on Orange, and last xmas on Cellnet/O2.
I think its caused by the "cell" you are in getting overloaded and losing the message.
My mate lives in London, my sis's problems were over xmas/new year(VodaFone) and mine occured while Orange were stopped from installing an extra transmitter in my area.
When the new transmitter was built (diguised as a SafeWay sign) everything was fine.

thats an interesting one Captain, about the cell coverage.
Unfortunately, again I travel 1hr to get to where I work, and have the same problems at home/work so I'd suspect its not the cell coverage, although cannot 100% say that i'm moving to a different cell when i go to work.

Still no word from O2 on activating my new sim card though, sent the email to them to confirm receipt as instructed on 14 Jan 7pm and still waiting :(
i'm praying that will make the difference!!

andyb2000 said:
thats an interesting one Captain, about the cell coverage.
Unfortunately, again I travel 1hr to get to where I work, and have the same problems at home/work so I'd suspect its not the cell coverage, although cannot 100% say that i'm moving to a different cell when i go to work.

Still no word from O2 on activating my new sim card though, sent the email to them to confirm receipt as instructed on 14 Jan 7pm and still waiting :(
i'm praying that will make the difference!!

You'll end up getting a reply back instructing you to phone their 0870 number (you'll be waiting on that number for 40 mins + by the way to get through to someone). Their email support is crap, and that is why i got out of contract and left for Vodafone.

A tip: Never call the premium rate number or the 0870 number to get through to o2 customer care, always call the main switchboard number on 01753 628000 and ask for 'o2 online customer services'. You'll be put through, all for the price of a local/national call, and you should be put through to an advisor immediately.

Sponsored Links
Someone told me a few months back that texts, etc, get sent via your "home" cell, the one you first activated the phone in.
So it would be this cell that is over-crowded.
Anyone know different?????

Handy hint ross, i suggest everyone commits to memory then eats this page for security ;)

As for their email reply, it came through!!!
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 14:55:20
Dear Andy,

Thank you for contacting O2 Customer Care.

I have requested the sim swap which can take upto 48 hours to
action(normally takes 2 - 4 hours) but you must allow this period of
time to action the request.

Hmm, my old sim hasn't stopped working yet though!!

And Captain, i've left a message with a m8 who works for orange technical to have a read and see if the cell theory is spot on, etc :)

Thanks mate, post the reply in here so we all know.
if it is true (i'm betting it is), it explains why my mate gets problems with messages when she up in the sticks with me but I get all mine with no problems on the same network and Pre-Pay package.

On the subject of dodgy phones, I have a mate who can't recieve text messages if you are replying to one of his...you have to start one new. Strange, very strange.

Also, I bought a Sony J70 after Xmas, but had problems recieving texts with it. Occasionally the message just said 'Data' and that was it. Sometimes the phone would lock up during creating text messages. 02 said they were getting loads of calls about this particular phone, and advised me to take it back. The shop said it was probably a software error, but I think they KNEW it was a software error that wasn't gonna be fixed. They kind of sheperded me onto another phone altogether. A quick search on the 'net showed loads of others in my shoes.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules