Sponsored Links

Getting out of contract - FTTP now available

ErikDahl

Hi,

Part of our building estate have been stuck on EO lines offering around 6mbps download and 0.8mbps upload until last week when Openreach completed
our Community Fibre Partnership funded FTTP deployment.

The households signing up for vouchers had to commit to take on a connection of minimum 100mbps.
It now turns out that some of the properties that signed up for vouchers are still in contract with Sky and TalkTalk, but neither of these ISPs support FTTP over Openreach's network. Is this a valid reason for them to cancel their current contract without incurring penalties?

Thanks
Erik Dahl

No but a little suprised they still doing contracts on ADSL since I know my ISP had changed ADSL to a monthly contract about 3 or more years ago.

Both Sky and TalkTalk are due to adopt FTTP from Openreach, in fact I believe Sky will jump on Openreach's full fibre during Q1 2020 (at the last check). TalkTalk haven't set a date but they say it'll be soon and so could be within a similar timeframe.

However, as Kits says, not supporting FTTP is sadly not a valid reason to get out of the ADSL contract.

Sponsored Links
I had an ADSL contract with John Lewis specifically because BT had told me FTTC was going to be available in a few months. My intention was then to flip to a new FTTC contract with John Lewis (which they confirmed would be at no penalty).
BT then decided to go straight to FTTP which JL do not provide thus lumbering me with a years contract on ADSL .
When I explained this to John Lewis they let me cancel my contract with no penalty as a goodwill gesture.
So it can be done just depends on the attitude of the ISP.
Hats off to John Lewis on this occasion.

Still do not understand why people are signing up to long contracts on ADSL when you can get it on rolling monthly contracts.

Probably an issue of price, since longer contracts at other ISPs are cheaper.

I had an ADSL contract with John Lewis specifically because BT had told me FTTC was going to be available in a few months. My intention was then to flip to a new FTTC contract with John Lewis (which they confirmed would be at no penalty).
BT then decided to go straight to FTTP which JL do not provide thus lumbering me with a years contract on ADSL .
When I explained this to John Lewis they let me cancel my contract with no penalty as a goodwill gesture.
So it can be done just depends on the attitude of the ISP.
Hats off to John Lewis on this occasion.
[/QUOTE

John Lewis Broadband is provided by Plusnet. Whenever they're closed I just call the Plusnet number and they don't notice.

So hats off to Plusnet :)

Sponsored Links
John Lewis Broadband is provided by Plusnet. Whenever they're closed I just call the Plusnet number and they don't notice.

So hats off to Plusnet :)
You actually managed to get through to Plusnet??
My record for waiting in a phone queue is for Plusnet.
THREE DAYS.
Re-dialling every 90 minutes when the system auto-hangs up on you.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules