Sponsored Links

Getting second FTTC line and then ditching original line after contract?

Iamhere123

Casual Member
A bit of a weird one.

My BT wholesale checker is the below:
https://ibb.co/2ZJj0fB - couldn't upload a photo file was too large (it is only 26kb)
Basically it says 46 - clean/45 impacted.

The thing is I have NEVER seen our speeds above 33 ever, my minimum guaranteed speed is 18. If I purchased a second FTTC line I believe I might hit the speeds in the checker would anyone be able to confirm? I know it doesn't sound like much but a near 50% speed increase to me is worth paying for - we use our home broadband for everything and getting 25/30 up to 45 would be massive that is another HD Netflix stream in the house so one less bottleneck.

My question comes at the end of the contract, what would happen to the landline as the likelihood is we will have FTTP by then (we are on the market town list to have it) however if not could I then move the landline to the new faster FTTC line and then ditch the old one? Unfortunately the boss wants to keep the landline despite my views on it being a total waste of money.

A second FTTC connection will likely result in a slower speed on BOTH lines due to increased crosstalk. It is very unlikely that a second connection will have a higher speed as it will be using the same copper pair to the cabinet.

Very unlikely to increase speed unless the original copper line is super worn, etc. I would say it's more likely to cause further issues so in my opinion, it's not worth the hassle, especially if you're getting full fibre (FTTP/H) as part of current roll-out plans I can't imagine it being more than 18 months away. (forward planning very far ahead doesn't tend to be the best in my experience)

Sponsored Links
Thanks all that plan is out the window then.

Does anyone know how much it would cost Openreach to diagnose/repair the line in question (it's 0.3 miles from the cabinet). Happy to do it privately as it is above the 18mbps guaranteed speed.

If it is a few hundred I may pay it to be honest as going from 25 to 45 would be a game changer for our family and I cannot see the FTTP happening anytime soon - openreach checker say we are not rolling out to you yet but the map shows us as getting it.

Change to an ISP who can sort OpenReach out if there really is a line fault.

In short, I see no evidence of any fault.

The wholesale checker gives expected *ranges* of sync speed: 32.4 - 44.1 clean, 26.9 - 44 impacted. Yours is within the clean range - admittedly right at the bottom. The range covers what you should expect to get if everything is working correctly.

It does not mean that you should get the top of the range if everything was perfect. Rather, it reflects the inherent uncertainties in the modelling of VDSL performance. Your copper pair is a waveguide, which takes an uncertain number of twists and turns on its way to your property. Even if the cable and all the joints were perfect, there are unknown amounts of crosstalk and interference. The model knows very little, just the line length and possibly the wire gauge, and so there is large uncertainty in the speed which can be achieved on that line in the real world. Hence a range of predicted speeds.

FWIW: on my FTTC line, I was getting close to the top of the downstream predicted range, but right at the bottom of the upstream range.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules