Sponsored Links

GiffGaff and 1pMobile 5G

ssg9

Pro Member
I don't know if this is widely known, but I got two SIM cards to test O2's and EE's 5G and wasn't getting any 5G. Using apps like CellMapper I could see that 5G was available, but "restricted".

It turns out that currently (June 2022) you have to manually enable 5G in your account settings:

GiffGaff: https://www.giffgaff.com/call-services#section-RoamingBar

1pMobile: https://www.1pmobile.com/your-SIM.taf

Wait a few minutes and 5G will be unlocked (you may have to restart your device).

Sponsored Links
I don't know if this is widely known, but I got two SIM cards to test O2's and EE's 5G and wasn't getting any 5G. Using apps like CellMapper I could see that 5G was available, but "restricted".

It turns out that currently (June 2022) you have to manually enable 5G in your account settings:

GiffGaff: https://www.giffgaff.com/call-services#section-RoamingBar

1pMobile: https://www.1pmobile.com/your-SIM.taf

Wait a few minutes and 5G will be unlocked (you may have to restart your device).
Giffgaff offer 5G sims too, which It comes on as standard. Depends which sim you had.

I don’t recall having to switch on 5G for my 1p mobile but it was some time ago.

Currently unavailable

Available between 4.05 am and 9.55 pm UK time

(Giffgaff)

wat-what.gif

Sponsored Links
Giffgaff offer 5G sims too, which It comes on as standard. Depends which sim you had.

I don’t recall having to switch on 5G for my 1p mobile but it was some time ago.
It was a new SIM card/account, ordered last month directly from GiffGaff's website. I don't remember seeing anything about 5G SIMs.

When I realised that I had to manually enable it, I got the same message as dabigm. I had to wait until the next day to do it. After enabling it, I it took 10 minutes or so for it to work.

Oh, and 1pMobile shows a "warning" page about using data too fast with 5G :LOL:

So they can say they offer 5G, but put up a barrier that many/most are unaware of.. Shady.
It is not a case of putting a barrier up for 5G access. Some devices may have issues working correctly if 5G is enabled by default and the device does not support it. Just turning it on for all could cause issues for some users.

1p does state on their site that you need to enable 5G if you have a device that is compatible with 5G.

It is not a case of putting a barrier up for 5G access. Some devices may have issues working correctly if 5G is enabled by default and the device does not support it. Just turning it on for all could cause issues for some users.

1p does state on their site that you need to enable 5G if you have a device that is compatible with 5G.
Every 5G phone I have has an option to turn 5G on or off on the phone though. But why would a non 5G phone have a problem ? it surely wouldn't receive a 5G signal.

Can you give an example?

I miss getting a 3 sim working in a Sony Z5.

Sponsored Links

How the hell would it cause issues for some phones... a 5G SIM and account just lets any compatible phones see the 5G network, and if they don't support 5G they see regular 2G/3G/4G.

Currently unavailable

Available between 4.05 am and 9.55 pm UK time

(Giffgaff)

wat-what.gif

My thoughts exactly. It’s not like it would be an inconvenience for some more users to be on 5G frequencies surely? If anything it would benefit people who don’t have 5G phones to pull some of these users off the congested 4G frequencies.

GiffGaff is a wild network with weird network management policies.

My thoughts exactly. It’s not like it would be an inconvenience for some more users to be on 5G frequencies surely? If anything it would benefit people who don’t have 5G phones to pull some of these users off the congested 4G frequencies.

GiffGaff is a wild network with weird network management policies.
Should be renamed to GriefGuff. 😊

It was a new SIM card/account, ordered last month directly from GiffGaff's website. I don't remember seeing anything about 5G SIMs.

When I realised that I had to manually enable it, I got the same message as dabigm. I had to wait until the next day to do it. After enabling it, I it took 10 minutes or so for it to work.

Oh, and 1pMobile shows a "warning" page about using data too fast with 5G :LOL:
1p mobile is no longer 5G enabled or disabled in network settings now as it used to be there before. It's disappear now. I think it all standard 5G/4G by default now.

Not standard 5G/4G as far as I can tell today.

I have installed NetMonster and it shows 4g LTE 2600 and 5g NSA - but speeds never reach 100.

Sponsored Links
Not standard 5G/4G as far as I can tell today.

I have installed NetMonster and it shows 4g LTE 2600 and 5g NSA - but speeds never reach 100.
Then the mast is a bit oversubscribed, it can happen.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules