Sponsored Links

Gigaclear Progress in Fastershire area?

With regard to Mitcheldean/Longhope, I think most if not all of the build is done? I watched it on one.network some weeks ago - and looking at Thinkbroadband's map, it is shown as live across Mitcheldean and Longhope.

Interesting! I had the fibre laid to my house (on the A40) last February, but Gigaclear keep saying no, come back another day.

Interesting! I had the fibre laid to my house (on the A40) last February, but Gigaclear keep saying no, come back another day.
I would contact both Gigaclear's build-care team, and Fastershire, by e-mail and ask what's causing the delay. I doubt you will get any useful response but it might just wake somebody up. If you have the POT ready to fibre up then Gigaclear are losing money by not connecting you.

Letters have now gone out to residents in the Stroat build area (in the December community meeting these were promised for early January).
However, they are generic letters containing nothing specific to the Stroat build, and the only date mentioned is "the coming months".

More progress! The TTB maps now show new live connections in Beachley, Sedbury, Coleford and Clearwell.
There are community meetings planned for several more build areas - including Netherend (where the build is well underway), Bream, and Highfield (in Lydney).
Frustratingly, there is stil no sign of any planned works in my area!

Well, another month, and the Netherend build is progressing very well. The cabinet has been powered for some time, and is just awaiting the backhaul. I believe Openreach put part of that in place yesterday (Gigaclear are using PIA for part of the build), bringing the fibre from Tutshill past my house to Netherend. I expect Netherend could be live by June.
It is amazing that they decided to build that 4 years after my area was planned, and yet they have managed to almost finish it before they have even started my area!
Meanwhile the Stroat area now has some limited works planned from mid June and into July. As most of the build will require road closures, works should become public 3 months before they can start. The cabinet was planned to go live from early Q3, but even if that does happen I can't see that they will have any houses ready to be connected to it.

The TBB maps now show that most of the Tutshill area, and more of the Sedbury area, have gone live.
Work installing the Stroat cabinet now looks as if it will start mid-July (changed from mid-June). So I expect traffic disruption throughout the busiest part of the year for the camping sites in area (such as mine). Given the pent-up demand for staycations this year, the build couldn't be planned for a worse time!

Looks like there are several Gigaclear community meetings up on the Fastershire area including Newent on 14th and Huntley on 28th September

Gigaclear do seem to be making progress now. They have actually laid fibre past my property now - ahead of the published plans. However, I've been told it will probably be another 5 months before it goes live. The neighbouring Woodcroft area was supposed to go live in early Q2, but the residents still have no date for it actually happening.

The Netherend build now appears to be complete and ready for service. Addresses in Woolaston can now replace their 80Mbps FTTC with Gigaclear FTTP if they want to. They have made good progress, as the target was Q1 2022.
However, I have been told that the Fastershire funded Stroat build may be available for some orders some time in Q1 2022 (it was supposed to be early Q3 2021).
It is rather irritating that the commercial builds are taking priority over the BDUK funded builds, which keep slipping dates without any updates being announced.

Maybe a bit more progress…

today and over the last few days the oconnels team have been out installing the main backhaul fibres into the ducts

starting from the woodcroft and tidenham end, they are now at the main powered cabinet by wyvern garage.

starting from the woodcroft and tidenham end, they are now at the main powered cabinet by wyvern garage.
Yes, I believe they are now pushing the fibres from the access cabinet to the drop cabinets. They don't appear to have opened the access cabinet though (judging by the weeds against the door), and there is no indication of anything powered in there yet.
Also, as far as I now they still haven't built along Keynsham Lane or Park Hill Road?

Today while out walking I came across an O'Connors team blowing fibre in Rodmore Lane, and the supervisor there was keen to chat. Apparently the Netherend build backhaul comes from Gigaclear's Herefordshire build, not Chepstow as intended, due to delays building along the A48 - the final bit of which is being dug currently. They have blown fibre to most of the drop cabinets along the A48, so they will soon have backhaul from their Woodcroft build connected to the Stroat cabinet. The Stroat cabinet could go live as soon as October.

Yet another month has passed, and there has still been no work on the Stroat cabinet as far as I'm aware. I very much doubt it will be live in October - I think the Q1 2022 timeframe (as I was told previously) is likely to be more likely, although that might be optimistic.

I've now received an update from Fastershire. Apparently Gigaclear are saying they have a problem with wayleave to connect the Stroat cabinet to the electricity supply (although I'm sceptical about that), so electricity won't be connected until at least November.

Well, we're now a third of the way through November, and there is still no sign of any work being done on the distribution box. In fact there is very little local activity by O'Connors at all, and no new works planned according to one.network, and the few works showing due to expire in a a week. It's not looking promising...

Some progress at last - today O'Connors are digging the trench for the electricity supply to the Stroat distribution cabinet. There is now very little planned work in the Stroat area showing on one.network for the next year.- so the areas that have not been built yet are looking increasingly doubtful, which ties in with a report from a neighbour who was told that their part of the build has been "de-scoped".

In North Herefordshire we had roadworks pending approval but as of today they've gone off the map. I expect this is due to Complete Utilities going bust.

We are coming up to 6 years now for this 'rollout' and it's not something you can keep blaming on someone else.

In this instance the contractor went bust but I'm left wondering if the contractor was hammered on price to a point where they could not function. If not that, then was the contractor held to an unfair contract where they could not recover unforeseen expenses?

Then again, Complete Utilities may have just been as awful as Gigaclear at planning in which case the blame lies with both businesses as GC should have done due diligence.

If I were part of Fastershire I seriously would not consider Gigaclear again for the additional work that is coming up.

Today I've heard from Fastershire. The good news is that no properties have been de-scoped - the bad news is that some have been moved out the current build phase. It seems that Gigaclear have split the Stroat build into two phases - the backhaul route along the A48 is the first phase, and the roads running off the A48 are the second phase.
The first phase is running 5 months late, and the second phase will start in Feb 2022.
The cabinet is now due to be lit in December, so those on the A48 route that already have POTS may be able to order in the new year. Those in phase 2 may be able to order some time after June 2022.

It seems that the electricity supply to the Stroat distribution cabinet is due to be connected on 8th December, as the locals have been informed of a planned power cut on that day.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5467)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1607)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules