Sponsored Links

good for games?

can anyone compare them to the likes of zen and fast for ping times?

im looking at moving to thier business package but i have quite greedy needs.

i need about 7mb 24/7 and low ping times but i am prepared to pay for that £35pm.

ive emailed them and had no reply which doesnt realy convince me that much,either does the fact to sign up to them thier payments wont accept credit cards issued in 2009 lol.

Hi,

Is it ourselves that you have not had a reply from? I am happy to chase this up for you if you can give me any references to the email you sent in?

LeeH

If it was us you e-mailed but didn't get a reply from please let me know - got no outstanding sales e-mails.

Mark

Sponsored Links
Since this is the Vispa thread......

As a Vispa customer, my pings vary from about 65ms to 160ms; that is using Speednet.net and Pingtest.net

hi all and yeah it was vispa whom i got no response from i cant remember the details off hand and maybe ill check my mail later.i took the step of signing up for the business package 50gb and am quite pleased.

speedtests show 7.09mb down and 0.68mb upstream.the only downside is pings seem a bit iffy.pings in dos and tracerts sometimes have spikes of 200ms on the 4th or 7th hop and sometimes on the 4th hop.vispa's core network in manchester area ends on the 5th hop.normally i get pings of 32ms to london and 24ms to manchester.

10 mins ago i had 150ms ping in dos and 100-200ms in team fortress 2.i rebooted the router and removed the two dns addresses and it seems ok now.

ive sent this in to your customer support and hope i get a swift reply.im certain its not my hardware as ive never saw pings above 40ms ever in any isp history.perhaps the fact i rebooted the router im now perhaps on a different server or something? i duno im stumped but i sure cant tolerate any kind of ping flucuation no matter how minor.

ill monitor this for a few days and see how it goes though.

I never had much luck with the Vispa DNS servers and switched to OpenDNS years ago.

dns is that whats causing this?

i think i have a new problem last night i had pings of 200ms and speeds of 1.2mb.

i cant even stream iplayer as apparantly i dont have enough streaming bandwidth.i can speedtest at 5mb yet only stream iplayer at 1mb? lol

it HAS to be vispa at peak time as its now 3am and ive just got out of bed to test the connection and guess wot? 30ms and 6mb speedtest.

gonna ring tomorrow and complain BIG TIME.

Sponsored Links
Let us know how you get on with that Jedi. I doubt Vispa's DNS servers are causing your speed/latency problems as most game servers use direct IP's, though I'd still recommend OpenDNS to everybody :) . It does seem like Vispa might be imposing some poorly balanced Traffic Management though, hard to tell from looking at just one connection.

it turns out the reason is greed on vispas side

"One of our routers is running above 60% capacity, this is due to an influx of customer's from the recently disbanded Upstream Internet and we have also moved Titan's DSL services onto our network from Entanet. We have this week implemented a new 21st Century Network, which will allow a higher bandwidth allocation and reduce ping times and increase user's speeds. We envisage this network to be fully migrated and completed on thursday."

thats from thier tech support, thier phone support told me they had a faulty router not that it was overloaded.

ive paid £34 for my first month and from day one its been appaling.i only wanted this for games and its almost christmas and i cant even play them argh.

anyone from vispa wanna try to keep me as a customer? im not paying £34 when i didnt even get to use it for the first 5-6 days thats for sure.more like £25 sounds reasonable to me.

Hi,

You'll be pleased to know that BT handed over our new host-link today for commissioning.

Things will greatly improve once we bring it into service on the 24th December.

Appologies for the high pings in the meantime.

We're pleased to announce that our new BT host-link is now live and all Vispa end users have successfully been migrated.

No more capacity issues :D

Ping & speed's should be perfect.

Sponsored Links
..and it seems to be working; my pings are down in the 50's and only once have I had to reload a page so far today.

Plus, 5 meg on speedtest is incredible for this time of day, especially during school holidays!!! It's been down about 2-3 for months, only going back up during the night.

yea its working apart from one thing, iplayer

vispa are traffic shaping iplayer traffic i think as when i run thier diagnotic speedtest i get the speed test of 7mb then streaming speeds below 1mb in peak times and holidays and can only stream HD in off peak.

whats going on vispa?:shrug:

im not at all happy about this and plan to ring and complain after the holidays are over.and also i got an email saying i havent paid my bill well, i would if you accepted on signup credit cards with starting dates in 2009.your limit there is 2008 which is a shambles,i rang support and told them my correct details, actually i emailed and have the copy and was told it was fine.

now ive got the warning mail over the holidays asking for payment within 5 days or having my net capped, well tbh im more than annoyed and cant pay until after new years as ive only just found the email.

so far in my first month, the worst isp ever and ive had some stinkers in my day:crap:

James thanks for taking the time to call me by the way.

im glad everthing is almost sorted as its so stressful at times when u can figure out why these things go wrong.

if anyones reading this vispa are not traffic shaping iplayer so im having some other weird problem thier helping me solve.support from james and derek has been excellent.

I had a sense of deja vu over the "not paid your bill" posting, I had EXACTLY the same thing when I joined years ago; I think the old lady with the blue rinse who runs the accounts department likes the odd tipple after lunch ;)

Sponsored Links
I'm sure I read somewhere that Vispa were planning to add some more network capacity but I cannot recall where. Could of been for another ISP of course. I feel a bit sorry for them and some of their customers because it's been a rough start to the new year with a major DDoS attack.

They have just supposedly gone over to BT's 21st Century network (or whatever it is called); not noticed any improvements though.
Check your bills as well, several of mine went missing from my account and I got billed for excess bandwidth usage from September as part of my December bill; except I didn't HAVE any excess bandwidth use in September!!!

hmm my exchange is not 21cn so maybe thats affecting me?

i can use speedtest.net to get 7mb 24/7 but iplayer and websites and videos are slow in peak, so slow i cant watch hd iplayer on an 8mb line.

im actually getting my mac code and getting out to try somewhere else so i can be assured its just vispa and well if it is then....

IMO doing a "complete" swap to 21CN will probably save money because of BT's silly prices but the new platform is also having a lot of problems and many people end up missing the reliability of 20CN. A lot of BT based ISPs talk with us in private about 21CN being less than fun to deal with :) .

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules