Sponsored Links

good for games?

i had a quick google on it and its not good reading...

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=82824.msg681482

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/features/206226/21cn-the-21st-century-nightmare

maybe this is the issue for vispa and me? my exchange is not 21cn enabled and samknows has removed an date for some of it.

21CN WBC status: not available
BT have set a target date of Q1 2010 for the switch to 21CN

the second bit is now removed though im pretty sure im still on the old system though.

it would not suprise me in the slightest if it was 21cn,id probably lay blame somewhere on one of the scottish nodes as well, perhaps edinburgh as all the traffic from northern ireland passes through these nodes i think.

i am due by mac code though and will be able to see whats going on in the next week or so and will update the post.

anyone reccomend a fast 24/7 low ping isp that is not on 21cn for testing for a month?

Hi jediadsl,

I think the issue may well be a combination of two things. Firstly, streaming iPlayer in HD can be a little "ropey" at the best of times as it requires 5.5 - 6Mb of bandwidth, constantly. Achieving these sort of levels can be difficult for most.

Secondly, the ISP's network capacity can determine whether or not you actually receive that last required Mb. During peak times, you will most likely notice a small drop.

Hopefully you will have better luck once you have migrated but I'll be keen to find out :)

the BBC say its a constant 3.5mb but i think i did see it spike to 7mb then 3mb etc through netmeter.

in peak times though i cant even pull off 3mb let alone 6-7mb

i just ran another test and its now almost 11pm and my streaming speed from iplayer diagnostics is 2.5mb this is actually good, ive had sub 1mb before.my package is the business one with lower contetion and traffic priority over the bt network which is what always threw me off the scent of it being a BT problem, its not a line problem either as everythings fine after 1-2am, my line does the absoloute mac speed attainable for 8mb, ive actually speedtested at 7.1mb which proves this, i cant get any more than that due to overheads.

its not just streaming videos thats slow, the whole web is slow apart from speedtest.net which always gives 5mb which is v v strange, youtube and surfing is sluggish.

my migration is complete on the 4th so i will report back then.

I've been experiencing a strange "hiatus" in my connection ever since upgrading to the 25Gb Peak/Unlimited Off-peak package.
Sometimes it lasts for a few seconds and then disappears, other times it lasts for a minute or so; also, sometimes it only happens once or twice a session, other times (like now), it happens a lot!!

Sounds like a noise margin issue. What are your router stats?

Put a support ticket in and we'll figure it out for you.

Response is a little slower than usual due to Mondays Abel Internet network migration but we will deal with it within 24 hours.

Sponsored Links
I dont think it is noise; nothing has changed except the monthly limit, and it started the day the new package started.
I am not disconnected, I can ping the websites, just nothing is coming though.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules