Sponsored Links

Good news a BT upgrade

Got an email from BT to say they were upgrading my broadband about two weeks ago. the changeover was flawless didn't notice any outage and speed stayed about the same. All was ok till a couple of days ago when the change started to bite. now my profile is 400k used to be 2m, to rub salt into the wounds speedtester.bt.com says its acceptable to get speeds of 150 to 200 kbps. when i phoned customer service they took control of my laptop, disabling my vodafone broadband and removing some toshiba software, oh yes and they said an engineer would call between 6 and 9 tonight, they didn't.

sounds about right.. all the do is mess up ones computer if you allow them to remote access in.. heard of similar instances with AOL who offered similar help.. they never take the blame themselves unless you prove a fault.

What kind of "upgrade" was it?

Sponsored Links
What kind of "upgrade" was it?

Hi Mark.

It was a "network upgrade" from the retail migration team?????

I received an email from them telling me the work had been done about 2 weeks ago.
It also told me to leave the router connected.

Every seemed to settle down after a few days to my normal speed (2mbps) although the profile for the line did increase to 2.5mbps.

when I do another check through BT to enquire what my line is capable of it says 3mbps ( I do know I will never get that!)

current test through speedtest.net gives me .1mbps download and .35mbps upload and latency of around 2048ms.

Speedtester.bt says my profile is 400kbps but will not complete the test.

BT did phone to say an engineer will come to me tomorrow afternoon between 1300 and 1800, got a text to confirm but, i had one of them yesterday.

When i was on the phone to them there was a lot of line noise (crackling) maybe thats got something to do with it.

It has made me sort out my vodafone connection though LOL.:laugh:

Did the line noise occur prior to BT's "upgrade"? You should ask precisely what kind of upgrade they made as that might help us to diagnose your problem.

Line noise can be caused by anything from a faulty cable connector on your phone to a bad microfilter (splitter), microfilters not being installed on every extension socket or some other problem with your local or remote phone line wiring. Any chance you could post your router stats (attenuation, noise margin etc.)?

Your line might also benefit from having a BT Broadband Accelerator (iPlate) device installed to filter interference from the old bell wire.

Something you could try is to walk around your home with a corded phone and try plugging into the different sockets (all should have microfilters on) to see if the crackling is the same in each. It might just be a problem on particular sockets due to a wire having come loose behind one of the faceplates.

Thanks Mark.
The line noise started after the upgrade but appears to have gone now.

The telephone network (all the slaves) come back to one plug which passes through a filter into the master socket. BT has now changed this for a split type of socket with a built in filter.

I looked for the router stats but to be honest I cant find them and I don't really know where to look.

currently my profile is 142k and the speed is 49kbps. BT engineer said this should improve as BT wholesale are reporting a speed of 3.7mbps at their end.

As I can disconnect my phone network easily and the problem persists I'm pretty sure thats all ok.

Oh yes, I dont know the exact details of the upgrade but before I was on "up to 8mb" the upgrade was to "up to 20mb" and the engineer from BT told me that the farther from the exchange I am the lower my speed jump will be! I'm quite a distance away so may only get 3.5mbps.

It's all in BT's hands now nothing more to do but thanks for your help.

My broadband experience with BT has been pretty good when compared to the other Tos**** I've been with ( lineone, V21, fast4) I'll let em sort it.
They do seem to be trying to sort it anyway.

one thing l was told with ADSL+ based connections the speed drops off quicker for some reason than ADSL MAX l had a similar speed problem, while l am on ADSL+ l requested a move to an ADSL1 port which has made my connection more stable, so maybe after a few weeks, maybe see what others say about changing your port to see if it improves things.

Sponsored Links
one thing l was told with ADSL+ based connections the speed drops off quicker for some reason than ADSL MAX l had a similar speed problem, while l am on ADSL+ l requested a move to an ADSL1 port which has made my connection more stable, so maybe after a few weeks, maybe see what others say about changing your port to see if it improves things.

What you can do is set the modulation from multimode to G.DMT and that will force the router to use ADSL1.

passerv, if your performance doesn't improve after a few days then you can always ask BT to reset and re-train the line. This will take ten days, during which your router should remain connected and switched on, but it might help to fix things and is at least worth a try. Remember that during the 10 day period your line could become unstable while it pushes it to the limit.

Thanks everyone. My line profile now reads 3.2mbps and the throughput seems to be ok but speedtester.bt.com still wont finish the test. speedtest.net says it's 2.9mbps.

I'll see how long it lasts of course your speed can go down as well as up!

Thanks again.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules