Sponsored

Great Service.

Fedz

Member
I've been a customer of The Phone Co-op (TPC) for just under 1 month.

Easy sign-up and crystal clear terms, cost and service(s).

I can't rate them highly enough! You get great personal customer support (not press 1 for this and press 2 for that) but an actual person and they answer the phone in xx seconds. They are always have the utmost professional and courteous manner. They really are a breath of fresh air and as they are a co-op they are owned by it's memebers who are all it's customers :)

The ADSL (and Voice phone) services were a seamless chnage to them and I was always fully informed of any progress.

Can't fault them. I highly recommend The Phone Co-op to everyone.

Hope this helps
 

snaffler

Casual Member
I would also like to second that started thread.
I have been using the Phone-Coop PAYG service for some time now, they are brilliant in an industry full of cowboys this lot really know their stuff.

They are not full of fancy bells and whistles and endless free dross they do charge you to do things but you know exactly where you stand every step of the way.

For me another big bonus is they are 100% ethical and give profits to some very good environmental and animal welfare charities if you sign through an affiliation scheme.

The Phone Service is something I want to look into next.

Keep up the good work Phone Coop
 

sentup.custard

ULTIMATE Member
Blimey - I didn't realise we had a Phone Co-op forum on here!

Been a telephone customer (and member, though only to the tune of £35 in shares, nothing extravagant) for years - signed up through one of their affiliate schemes, "Out of this World", a small retail co-operative which I belong to. I don't use them for the internet at present, but I am thinking of switching my line rental to them, which would bring the £19.99 ADSL 2GB per month price down to £18.99, and I might then consider using them as an ISP too.

Good people. :)
 

snaffler

Casual Member
sentup.custard said:
Blimey - I didn't realise we had a Phone Co-op forum on here!

Been a telephone customer (and member, though only to the tune of £35 in shares, nothing extravagant) for years - signed up through one of their affiliate schemes, "Out of this World", a small retail co-operative which I belong to. I don't use them for the internet at present, but I am thinking of switching my line rental to them, which would bring the £19.99 ADSL 2GB per month price down to £18.99, and I might then consider using them as an ISP too.

Good people. :)
I would like to know how you find the phone service which is something I am looking to move to.
The rental is the same as BT I have been chatting on the phone to them about moving they are so helpful.

On an ISP note they are great, I am a light user so I only use PAYG but you can as a member be on the Save as you surf scheme if you are a phone customer as well, they only charge PAYG internet customers 0.8p per min under this scheme fantastic !!!
 

sentup.custard

ULTIMATE Member
I haven't had one single problem with the phone service. :)

Some discount providers seem to suffer from lack of capacity, and you hear of people being unable to get a line at busy times - haven't had any of that nonsense with the Phone Co-op. No billing problems either, I check things once in a while and they're always spot-on as advertised.

Also, I've changed phone numbers three times since I joined - that hasn't caused any problems, and on each occasion they've re-routed my 0845 number pretty quickly too. Not that many people call me using the 0845 number now that national calls are the same as local calls with most companies, but I do give it to commercial organisations rather than my real number, and it's also been handy for a few people who I've forgotten to give my new number to so they've used that one instead.
 

Doh!

ISP Rep
I'm sorry to have to say this guys.

But I've just had a quick check through the Co-op prices and overall, The Utility Warehouse is cheaper, especially on the Special International call rates.

Same thing, for an extra £1 per month you can call the 26 most popular countries for only 2p per min.

Even the business broadband ( not on my website) 2MB 20:1 contention is £32 per month cheaper.

I notice a transfer fee for line rental as well, which is strange and no cheaper than BT?

That 1p anytime deal isn't competitive though for £9.99 per month you get calls for 1.175p per min.

For £9.50 per month, with The Utility Warehouse you get the first hour free on each call then standard call charge after that. On a long call, you can simply hang up and dial again, the free hour starts from scratch.

Thanks for bringing them to my attention though, I'd never heard of it until I saw your posts.
 

sentup.custard

ULTIMATE Member
Yes, there are, depending on when you make your calls, where to, and how many calls per month you make, various other providers who are cheaper.

Nobody's saying "The Phone Co-op are the cheapest", they don't pretend to be a rock-bottom price outfit - but some of us are satisfied with just making sufficient saving to consider that we've got value for money and knowing that our money's going to the right people.

You don't have to use them for *all* your calls, of course. I know quite a few people who will use another provider where there is a really significant saving but use The Phone Co-op where the difference is not worth worrying about.

Actually, I should include myself there - I quite happily rip off Rupert Murdoch (the direct opposite of The Phone Co-op in ethical terms) by using SunDial for totally free calls for hours at weekends and just making the odd short chargeable weekday call so that they can't say I'm not using the service. Over fourteen hours of calls on last month's SunDial bill, cost 5p - thank you Rupert, hope that's helped to swell the coffers of your global domination empire. :laugh:
 

Doh!

ISP Rep
but some of us are satisfied with just making sufficient saving to consider that we've got value for money and knowing that our money's going to the right people.
Thats exactly the way The Utility Warehouse club works.

It's classed as a club, so customers are members

The more customers they get, the better the buying power.

More buying power equals cheaper prices for the members.

So the money goes to the right people.

And the end of the day though, both are companies in to make a profit lets make no illusions about that.

I notice they are recruiting agents that get paid commission based on customer call spend. Exactly the same way as TUW.

So both are very similar setups by the looks of it.
 

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
Doh! said:
And the end of the day though, both are companies in to make a profit lets make no illusions about that.

I notice they are recruiting agents that get paid commission based on customer call spend. Exactly the same way as TUW.

So both are very similar setups by the looks of it.

I haven't heard of the phone CO-op until I saw this post, but if it is a proper Cooperative, which it does appear to be, then it is owned by its members.
So it is a bit like comparing a building society to a bank.

By the way if that's a commission link in your post, then I think it may be against forum rules.
 

Doh!

ISP Rep
Mel said:
By the way if that's a commission link in your post, then I think it may be against forum rules.
No it's not, it's a link to services so people can see and compare.

I have a separate site for people who are interested in becoming an agent which has not been shown on this forum.
 

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
Doh! said:
No it's not, it's a link to services so people can see and compare.

I have a separate site for people who are interested in becoming an agent which has not been shown on this forum.
Ok.

The exref=804171 in the URL ( http://www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk/store/index.taf?exref=804171 ) from clicking your link made me think it was a referral link, because if you go direct (after deleting the telecomplus/UW cookies )the number is omitted ( https://www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk/store/index.taf?exref= )
 
Last edited:

Doh!

ISP Rep
Mel said:
Ok.

The exref=804171 in the URL ( http://www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk/store/index.taf?exref=804171 ) from clicking your link made me think it was a referral link, because if you go direct (after deleting the telecomplus/UW cookies )the number is omitted ( https://www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk/store/index.taf?exref= )
This is because TUW does not employ agents. We are all self employed distributors who work part time, full time and get paid commission/bonus on sales.

That way, the company can save money on salaried staff/premises around the country, thus keeping costs down.

Each distributor can have a hosted site the 'exref=804171' is my reference number, so that if anyone goes to the site and signs up for services the customer will be allocated to me and not go astray.

Thats what I meant by the phone co-op setup, they must be using agents that only get paid on results, which is fair enough, I guess.

Do nowt, get nowt.
 

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Doh! said:
No it's not, it's a link to services so people can see and compare.

I have a separate site for people who are interested in becoming an agent which has not been shown on this forum.
The link is commercial and consequently you can only have this if you're an "ISP Rep". Since you clearly represent a business providing ISP products, regardless of your capacity towards it, then it must be the "rep status". Please e-mail me so that I can identify you.
 

snaffler

Casual Member
Doh! said:
I'm sorry to have to say this guys.

But I've just had a quick check through the Co-op prices and overall, The Utility Warehouse is cheaper, especially on the Special International call rates.

Same thing, for an extra £1 per month you can call the 26 most popular countries for only 2p per min.

Even the business broadband ( not on my website) 2MB 20:1 contention is £32 per month cheaper.

I notice a transfer fee for line rental as well, which is strange and no cheaper than BT?

That 1p anytime deal isn't competitive though for £9.99 per month you get calls for 1.175p per min.

For £9.50 per month, with The Utility Warehouse you get the first hour free on each call then standard call charge after that. On a long call, you can simply hang up and dial again, the free hour starts from scratch.

Thanks for bringing them to my attention though, I'd never heard of it until I saw your posts.
Some of people reason are not just about the cash and prices some of us have ethical reasons for example you say:

I notice a transfer fee for line rental as well, which is strange and no cheaper than BT? Which is true but the money does not go into the MDs pocket the phone-coop give a big % of profit to Animal Aid, Aministy and many other worthwhile causes.

The rice you have quoted That 1p anytime deal isn't competitive though for £9.99 per month you get calls for 1.175p per min. it is actually 1.174 PER CALL, my parents used to have the BT option 3 at £25.00 all in per month this is now no higher than £23.00 PM not a big saving but a better service.

They also have no connection charge at all.

As for the Broadband at £18.00 PM not the cheapest but very good hi-speed always no problems great C.S when you have a problem.

I support them because they are ethical and really care for their customers, I beleave the prices are in place so it is faire trade for all, the staff are on a fair wage and very happy.

I have friend who used to work for one of these other providers they were paid crap and treated crap.

Ethics and good service first, it's cheaper in the long run.
 

octhex

Casual Member
Does anyone have any up-to-date views on The Phone Co-op's broadband package?

Is it reliable, helpful, value for money etc?

I have been with them for number of years for voice telephone (no problems at all) and am thinking of moving to them for broadband.

Grateful for comments.
 
Top
Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £21.00 (*25.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Shopping Voucher
  • TalkTalk £21.95 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
    Gift: None
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2533)
  2. FTTP (2254)
  3. FTTC (1676)
  4. Building Digital UK (1616)
  5. Politics (1444)
  6. Openreach (1432)
  7. Business (1258)
  8. Statistics (1110)
  9. FTTH (1105)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1056)
  11. Fibre Optic (978)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (922)
  13. 4G (918)
  14. Wireless Internet (917)
  15. Virgin Media (870)
  16. EE (602)
  17. Sky Broadband (600)
  18. TalkTalk (586)
  19. Vodafone (532)
  20. 3G (417)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules