Sponsored

Greetings

reset

ULTIMATE Member
Good to see a rep hanging around as I will be reging up as soon as I get MAC from my present provider.

It's one hell of a job finding someone reliable and half decent C/S if needed.
Lets hope this choice is better than the last one, with no nasty surprises further down the line.

Inactive

ULTIMATE Member
Well you would please more people if you included VAT in your Home Products and provided an 0800 number for tech support.:hrmph:

Old dude

ULTIMATE Member
Well you would please more people if you included VAT in your Home Products
Havent seen that one in a while.

And I think a bit needs clarifying.

'Installation within 5 working days**'

'**Vivaciti Broadband guarantees that, providing you don’t have DACS on your line or TPON and there is capacity at the BT exchange subject to BT Engineering completion times, your broadband service will be installed and working within 7 working days '

Its a rather confusing site. One bit says uncapped, then somewhere else is the different packages and what amount you can download.

Last edited:

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
Well you would please more people if you included VAT in your Home Products and provided an 0800 number for tech support.:hrmph:

http://www.vivaciti.com/hardware.htm Hmm, I thought that if you were selling goods to consumers, then those prices had to include the VAT? I don't think the same applies to services though, just a requirement that the prices shouldn't be misleading. Still damn annoying though.

Old dude

ULTIMATE Member
I assume its to come up first in various search results, otherwise I cannot see the point of advertising a home product without VAT included.

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
I assume its to come up first in various search results, otherwise I cannot see the point of advertising a home product without VAT included.
The DTI seem to take the same view in their code of practice (unless most of your business is with business customers)

http://www.dti.gov.uk/files/file8127.pdf
Valued Added Tax (i) Price indications to consumers 2.2.7 All price indications you give to private consumers, by whatever means, should include VAT. (ii) Price indications to business customers 2.2.8 Prices may be indicated exclusive of VAT at an outlet or through advertisements from which most of your business is with business customers. If you also conduct business at that outlet or through these advertisements with consumers, however, you should make clear that the prices exclude VAT and you should: (a) display VAT inclusive prices with equal prominence, or; (b) display prominent statements that the quoted prices exclude VAT and state the appropriate rate. If should be noted that VAT inclusive prices for all goods offered by traders to consumers are required by the Price Marking Order 20046 (further information can be obtained from your local Trading Standards Service).

Statutory Instrument 2004 No. 102 - The Price Marking Order 2004, also appears to (this excludes services, but I would have thought modems & routers would be covered):-

http://www.dti.gov.uk/files/file8175.pdf
Pricing information 4. Prices must be in sterling. Where a trader indicates a willingness to accept a foreign currency for the purchase of a product the Order provides that, in addition to the sterling price indication, further specific information must also be given about exchange rates, commission etc. All prices must be inclusive of VAT and all other taxes. Postage, packing or delivery charges, however, may be shown separately as long as they are unambiguous, easily identifiable and clearly legible.

Vivaciti

ISP Rep
The vast majority of our customers are business users, our userbase split is coming up to 65% business users and 35% private users (this split is starting to come close to 50-50) we are currently having our web site re-done to make it more user friendly for private customers and when this comes on-line it will show the inc and +VAT split better giving business prices + VAT and home connections plus VAT, but as the full product list currently lists all prices as including VAT, whats the problem, our web stats show nearly all visits going to the full product list.

Vivaciti

ISP Rep
Havent seen that one in a while.

And I think a bit needs clarifying.

'Installation within 5 working days**'

'**Vivaciti Broadband guarantees that, providing you don’t have DACS on your line or TPON and there is capacity at the BT exchange subject to BT Engineering completion times, your broadband service will be installed and working within 7 working days '

Its a rather confusing site. One bit says uncapped, then somewhere else is the different packages and what amount you can download.
What needs clarifying, installation in 5 working days, and we guarantee that the install will complete within 7!
There is also no cap, as we don't cap your usage, but unlike most other providers, we publish what is a FUP in clear, there really is no pleasing some people!

Old dude

ULTIMATE Member
Fair enough, thats my bad. But if I could get that confused, others could. Why not put 7 days for both? Doesnt matter if its installed by 5, if it doesnt work then thats irrelevant.

And yes you do cap your users. You have a FUP, so therefore they are capped. Even if its for peak times only. I hate this messing about of the English language.

Unless your saying no action is taken if they go over the limits in the FUP?

And theres a sneaky unlimited term in there - 24 7 unlimited internet access. Since when has ADSL been restricted by time online?

I will say your FUP is more visable than most, and very clear.

I am continually for ISPs (and others) to make it very plain in what people are getting. I do understand that its rather cut throat in the ISP business too. The main reason why many tout 'unlimited' packages is that they will lose out to others if they are brutally honest.

For example, one ISP clearly defining what the packages are, to one shouting unlimited and having it hidden in the FUP. The 'unlimited' one gets more customers, while the other one is being honest and losing for it. Not exactly fair.

I do look at it from both sides, unlike many.

I feel a change in the law on advertising is the only way forward, rather than the well known ASA being as pathetic as it is now.

But until then, I will point out anything I think that could be improved.

strangler

requested MAC code on 22nd March 2007 from Breathe having been one of the lucky (ha ha) ones that got caught up in this Biscit mess still not received MAC. Was cut of Monday and Tuesday back on today. Breathe keep promising as soon as pos. we`ll see

Vivaciti

ISP Rep
I will say your FUP is more visable than most, and very clear.

I am continually for ISPs (and others) to make it very plain in what people are getting. I do understand that its rather cut throat in the ISP business too. The main reason why many tout 'unlimited' packages is that they will lose out to others if they are brutally honest.

For example, one ISP clearly defining what the packages are, to one shouting unlimited and having it hidden in the FUP. The 'unlimited' one gets more customers, while the other one is being honest and losing for it. Not exactly fair.

I do look at it from both sides, unlike many.

I feel a change in the law on advertising is the only way forward, rather than the well known ASA being as pathetic as it is now.

But until then, I will point out anything I think that could be improved.

I agree, there was an artical on the times on-line about uSwitch moaning about the use of the term (I replied to them on-line) but they are i no position to moan, as no matter what you put in their website about unlimited or anything, Crapali comes up tops, and since when have they EVER been unlimited.
As you say it's a marketing ploy, look at how many customers Tiscali have, and if we had the same marketing/advertising budget as them and put in our advert fup of 125gb or an allowance of 30gb, who do you think the uneducated portion of users would choose us over them?

Old dude

ULTIMATE Member
Indeed, although I dont think thats good enough reason for other ISPs to be vauge about things on websites.

IMPO I think smaller ISPs should concentrait on providing a good solid service so they can build up a good reputation and have users willing to speak up for them.

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
The vast majority of our customers are business users, our userbase split is coming up to 65% business users and 35% private users (this split is starting to come close to 50-50) we are currently having our web site re-done to make it more user friendly for private customers and when this comes on-line it will show the inc and +VAT split better giving business prices + VAT and home connections plus VAT, but as the full product list currently lists all prices as including VAT, whats the problem, our web stats show nearly all visits going to the full product list.
Ok, fair enough.

I do find the practice of having a headline price shown with a * with the excluding VAT bit at the bottom of the page annoying though as here:- http://www.vivaciti.com/adsl_home.htm . Mind you no where as near as annoying as what some other ISPs get up to.

Last edited:
Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2509)
  2. FTTP (2194)
  3. FTTC (1657)
  4. Building Digital UK (1604)
  5. Politics (1423)
  6. Openreach (1417)
  7. Business (1237)
  8. Statistics (1097)
  9. FTTH (1071)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1036)
  11. Fibre Optic (967)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (915)
  13. Wireless Internet (906)
  14. 4G (898)
  15. Virgin Media (856)
  16. Sky Broadband (595)
  17. EE (591)
  18. TalkTalk (578)
  19. Vodafone (517)
  20. Security (411)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules