Sponsored Links

Handing line back to bt.

I’ve had an ingoing problem with bt for 6 months where my download speed has been decreasing and bt don’t seem to know what’s causing it. I’ve got to the stage now where in just want out of my contract and my speed is bellow the hand back threshold for my line but trying to get info on how I go about this from bt is next to impossible. Can I place an order with another isp and transfer the line over or do I need to cancel the line completely?

Thanks for any help.

You need to get BT to allow you out of contract without penalty or you will end up buying yourself out of contract. Might be worth asking them for a deadlock letter to go to arbitration if it has been going on for a while. This might make them tell you that you can migrate without penalty. Get them to send email confirming this so you have proof.

You need to get BT to allow you out of contract without penalty or you will end up buying yourself out of contract. Might be worth asking them for a deadlock letter to go to arbitration if it has been going on for a while. This might make them tell you that you can migrate without penalty. Get them to send email confirming this so you have proof.

Thanks for the reply.

I thought if your line was under the guaranteed rate they should be providing you you could exit your contract without penalty or did I imagine this ?

Sponsored Links
That is supposed to be the case but so far I haven't heard of anyone doing it so you could be the first. Was just trying to make sure you covered your back on the get out of jail card. :D

I thought if your line was under the guaranteed rate they should be providing you you could exit your contract without penalty or did I imagine this ?

Yes if your speed falls below the 10% Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speed (MGALS) for your line, which the ISP is required to supply upon request (I mean supply you the information on your MGALS speed), then after allowing BT time to fix the issue that should enable you to exit your contract penalty free (assuming they cannot resolve the problem).

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0012/40431/broadband_speeds_code_june_2015.pdf

Ofcom are also working to tighten up these rules, but a final decision on that is due around Easter 2018.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...-code-practice-broadband-isp-speeds-2017.html

Had a boost engineer round yesterday and they are stumped as to why my speed has reduced as much as what it has. Will call bt later to see if I can get out of my contract.

Do remember that if the speed has dropped due to some issue on the physical network (Openreach) rather than BT's side then it's possible that switching ISP may not resolve the problem. Ideally it would be good to know more about what decrease you've seen and if possible a copy and paste of your line stats (attenuation, sync speed, snr margin etc.)?

Sponsored Links
To be honest I just want out my contract with bt now as I’m alonkst paying full price for infinity 2.

Will post my stats when I get home and thanks for the help

0 Days, 21 Hours 25 Minutes 3 Seconds
Data rate: 17.69 Mbps / 46.20 Mbps
Maximum data rate: 17867 / 46547
Noise margin: 6.1 dB / 6.1 dB
Line attenuation: 16.5 dB
Signal attenuation:
VPI / VCI: 0/38
Modulation: G_993_2_ANNEX_B
Latency type: Fast Path

I’ve spoke to bt again and they want to send out another engineer (the 5th) I told them not to bother and asked if I could cancel my contract and they told me it would cost over £300, I explained about the hand back threshold and they gave me the run around saying they would put me through to the faults team whom I’ve spoke to around 20 times in the last 2 weeks alone. I also asked for a deadlock letter but they told me they haven’t had long enough to sort the problem (6 months and counting).

Sponsored Links
original

That’s the stats from my old Thomson router back when the fault started. It shows the sync speed what it used to be and as soon as the HH is plugged in it drops.

Hmm your SN Margin is quite low for that line but on the other hand it's been fairly stable, while attenuation down seems to have gone from 11.5db to 16.5db (lower is usually better). It's possible that your cabinet may have become a bit congested due to cross-talk interference from lots of FTTC/VDSL2 lines, which can drop speeds over time unless Vectoring is applied (Openreach only apply that in specific cases).

What are the line stats with the old Thompson now with the lower sync?

Have you the filtered NTe5 faceplate if so have you tried to remove that and put DSL filter into the engineers test socket to see if the sync is increased?

Sponsored Links
The attenuation tells me theres a copper issue likely comparing the up/down or router msan issue, how far away is the cab cable length?

If you stop paying them what can they do?
I just go elsewhere when that sort of thing happens. I did once write to the managing director of whatever BT was in the past. They got it sorted pretty smartly. Initially one of the replies was that 1p a minute was quite cheap "Surf" was about 10 quid a month back then. Good olde fashioned ADSL it were, wi'real white plastic blocks; a couple of them under yer clogs an yer were 10 feet tall. Nobbert th plice would hear yer commin.

If you stop paying them what can they do?
I just go elsewhere when that sort of thing happens. I did once write to the managing director of whatever BT was in the past. They got it sorted pretty smartly. Initially one of the replies was that 1p a minute was quite cheap "Surf" was about 10 quid a month back then. Good olde fashioned ADSL it were, wi'real white plastic blocks; a couple of them under yer clogs an yer were 10 feet tall. Nobbert th plice would hear yer commin.

No promises, but....

When I had an issue that BT Retail were not willing to sort about 12 -15 years ago, I eventually decided to refuse to pay any more until it was sorted. At that point they had cut off the voice side of my line, but failed to cut the data side; so for the next 18 months I had free internet access.
By that time I had decided enough was enough, paid them the initial bill that started it all (but none of the subsequent bills), and told them to EFF OFF.
They promptly cut the data line, leaving me free to sign up with a different provider.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules