Sponsored Links

Have you recently moved to zen?

Stavr0s01

I am considering moving to Zen, however, the reviews on here are pretty dire i must say, even as recent as december 2018, I have no complaints with my current isp, except the fact that £24 a month is a lot just for adsl @ 8mb, I have looked at their packages for fibre, but they are unable to match Zen's, and Zen also provide a good router, which my current isp does not.

I was actually with zen in the early 2000's but i am unsure if the isp i left a few years later, has gone down hill since then, the reviews seem to suggest it has.

I wouldn't say I'm a light user, but not a heavy user either, somewhere in between, my current isp doesn't have a data limit, my main reason for being with them, as I do a lot of streaming and a lot of downloading, varying 100-250gb a month.

I am specifically interested in anyone who has recently (this year) migrated to zen, and their experience, and also people that might have a similar usage pattern.

Zen consistently come at the top of the pack in awards; this year included.
Be wary of a few dire reviews; it is not unknown for rival ISPs to pay people to leave bad reviews. Mark usually picks them up, but even so.

In this case, at least one rant sounds very familiar, copied from another website complaint??

Generally Zen's overall rating is still very strong (they're 7th in our top 10) and when choosing any ISP I find that the best way to consider them is by judging everything as a proportion of risk.

So even large poorly rated ISPs (BT, TalkTalk etc.) may still deliver an excellent service, but the ratio of dissatisfied to satisfied customers will often be higher (i.e. you stand a bigger chance of getting burnt but it might be a risk worth taking if you want to save a lot of money).

You obviously lower your risk level by choosing a better rated ISP, but even the best ones can still have problems. At the end of the day there's no 100% guarantee of perfection for any ISP.

Sponsored Links
I moved to Zen last year and am very happy, i get though between 260 and 400GB a month and although my line syncs higher than the 38Mb i pay for as it was a new FTTC cabinet installed last year i assumed it would drop the more people in the village made the switch.

I haven't noticed any drops in speed or service at peak times in the evening.

I literally just moved to Zen on the 25th, from BT. My line is supposed to get around 50mb typical with a low of 40 and a high of 70. On BT my speed slowly degraded from 50 down to 38. Openreach diagnosed a fault at the cab where the ports I was on were faulty, switched me over and I instantly start getting 65mb. Tinkering with my modem and router too much put me on interleave and my speed dropped to 58mb but its gone to Fast and im back to syncing around 65-69mb.

my usage is super heavy, a younger brother with a PS4 (updates can be anywhere between 1gb-40gb) and alot of 4K netflix & youtube usage as well as ISO and software backups being downloaded for my work. To put into perspective i went live on the 25th and checking my usage on Zen's user portal I clocked 191GB from the 25th-30th. As of May 2nd I have already used 40.3gb and 3.7gb upload for this month already, no throttling or slow downs.

Zen customer service seem great, better than BT by far. they got the openreach engineer out to me on my go live date in order to switch the faulty port at the cab. Worth noting, most people only review something when they have a complaint, when things are going well we all just go about our day and ignore putting up a review which might help others.

TL/DR Switched to Zen from BT, speeds shot way up, great customer service & recent negative reviews should be taken with a pinch of salt.

they use bt another scam company. Just reselling bt with their own logo haha. They don't have their own network infrastructure. Another plusnet rip off. If you have bt and you moved to zen. You moved again to bt basically haha.

they use bt another scam company. Just reselling bt with their own logo haha. They don't have their own network infrastructure. Another plusnet rip off. If you have bt and you moved to zen. You moved again to bt basically haha.
You are wrong about Zen they do have plenty of infastructure plus some LLU'ed exchanges around Rochdale.

Sponsored Links

You really have no idea what your talking about

You really have no idea what your talking about

They use Gfast technology. Bt owns gfast. You need bt phone line for this. So it's part of BT. Is it hard to understand?. They use openreach cabinets. SAME WITH EE PROVIDER AND ANY OTHER ISP PROVIDER with gfast technology. They brainwash you and nothing else.

Sponsored Links
G.Fast is a technology BT does not own the technology, it was developed by Alcatel IIRC.

I mean it's the only company who installs this ****. Just to make speeds go up to 100mbps and still it's old copper lines. haha. It's like trying to make dial up on steroids. And upload speed is limited to 50mbps if you lucky even to reach that.

Hi,
I am not sure why you are on this forum which is generally a pretty helpful place. You originally posted seeking an answer to a question and then proceeded to post trying to give the impression that you are all knowing whilst simultaneously making incorrect posts. I was going to give you a suggestion regarding a possible solution to your speed issue, but have decided that in light of your posting that I don't want to help you! I am driving past Bridgewater on Tuesday Morning and I will think of you as I drive by!

There is no solution here besides westwifi i hope they will bring 500mbps soon hopefully. but they not available here at the moment. Maybe truespeed will deliver to my area that would be fantastic. I checked every possible isp available. And only solution is really expensive gfast and still that's not what i'm looking for i need really fast upload speeds. And you can only suggest me leased lines which nobody can afford them. I'm not here to hate or anything i just need good internet connection without landline and i can't get that for many years here. .

Last edited:
He's been banned for trolling butler :) .

Sponsored Links
My first post ..... have been with ZEN since 19/01/18 ; currently on a 2 year contract. Zero issues, no drop in speed and no disconnects in that time. No problems with billing department as i pay DD . They have their kit in my local exchange so guess i am LLU (?) (Mossley Greater Manchester). I will be downgrading to the lowest tier FTTC package (without phone) when my current contract is due to renew and will be taking BT Basic for the phone as i am on qualifying benefits from DWP. I have phoned them less than 3 or 4 times in the last 18 months and am very satisfied with the service that i received ...... compared to some of the other ISPs that i have been with they are ideal for my needs and i have no intention of leaving soon.

Attachments

• Opera Snapshot_2019-05-20_185353_www.ispreview.co.uk.png
    Opera Snapshot_2019-05-20_185353_www.ispreview.co.uk.png
    71.9 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules