Sponsored Links

Headsets for FTTP

stayhi128

Hi. Openreach have strung a fibre cable along the full length of our lane, (about two miles), and now are working their way towards me, making to connections to properties. I prefer hands free communication and my hearing is not what it used to be, so I use a single earpiece with microphone headset. I have been trying to see if there is an equivalent suitable for use with FTTP, but as yet have found nothing. I am sure there must be a number available, so I am probably looking in the wring place. Can anyone advise please? Many thanks.

I am presuming your headset connects to a corded phone?

A change from your current telephone line will only occur when you request a change to FTTP via your ISP. What happens will depend on your ISP, who provides the telephone service and the particular FTTP programme.

Going forward the telephone service will be provided over the telephony connection and will become the responsibility of the ISP (via the router) and not OR.

Short term on many FTTP conversions the telephone wiring will plug into the ONT (optical modem) directly into a standard BT telephone socket and the phone line is provided back to the exchange by OR using FVA (Fibre Voice Access). So you can use your existing phone.

However progressively from now (depending on the Post Code) on OR FTTP conversion the telephone service will move to the ISP.

If it is BT then you will be migrated to BT Digital Voice where your phone is plugged into a BT Smart Hub 2 (or a separate ATA unit on older hubs). The BT Smart Hub 2 has a DECT phone (cordless) base within it. BT will are promoting their DECT based solutions to go with this service but there is no reason why you cannot continue to use your existing phone and headset connectivity. I cannot see any accessibility products available so the telephone socket on the hub is the best solution.

If it is another ISP they will migrate you to a VoIP (Voice over IP) service and should provide you with an ATA device so you can plug in your existing phone.

The move to FVA is simple but if not I would make sure that if you are converted or request conversion to OR FTTP that you are clear to your ISP the accessibility needs your have and the need to retain your existing phone.

Where a standard telephone socket is provided then standard PSTN phones should be OK. Those with Alarms, special devices etc need to check specific compatibility.

I wouldn't buy/rent anything just yet until its clear which ISPs will be providing a phone service on OR FTTP, whether it is dependant on VoIP phones or whether they will supply a ATA interface so existing phones can be used. The change to FTTP is an ideal time to review which ISP best meets your broadband and voice needs.

Thank you. Being just a whisker off 80, you will allow that most of the white hot heat of internet/communications technology rolls straight over my head. So I only undertsnad the bare outline of what you are saying.

In fact, we have what is I believe, referred to as a hybrid exchange system - a Panasonic TEA308 - a remnant of the days when I ran a number of small businesses from offices in our home. I have been told that this will not connect in any way to a fibre system. This does not bother me as it has more than earned its keep, and I am quite prepared to throw it out and start again. We will not need an exchange system, but as this is a large building on two floors and two independant sets of stairs and both my wife and I are disabled, we will need several phones within easy reach.

The phone service, but not the exchange system, is provided by BT. I assume I will continue with them, when the FTTP service is offered. My internet services and hosting are provided by 123REG and UK2. How they will be involved, if at all, in the new set up I know not.

Thanks again for your kind help and if any of the above information leads you towards any further thoughts, I will be delighted to hear from you.

Sponsored Links
Well I didn't expect that you would have a Panasonic TEA308. If it proves incompatible going forward (I think it may still work) then you will either need to rewire your internal wiring to standard line and extensions or adopt BT's new scheme of DECT cordless phones (BT Smart Hub 2 acts as the DECT base) or buy your own DECT cordless setup. If you need headsets then my recommendation would be to stick to wired phones.

Although Openreach are providing FTTP coverage the Direct Exchange Line (DEL) isn't going anywhere soon so you you can stay as you are on your DSL Broadband and copper based telephone line service from BT and have no change. Their target is 2025 and you will be pestered between now and then to move to BT Digital Voice.

If you have poor broadband service and would like to have FTTP then you can go for it but still request to retain the copper service. This may incur extra cost though unless you are in an area where BT are having to do this due to their exchange programme.

The issue we have currently is that BT Digital Voice is relatively new, there is a lack of clarity of the change timescales (for each exchange) and little technical information. Your issue highlights the complexity that will face many households. BT's current position appears to be to sell/rent more kit. It is not sufficiently highlighted that people can still use their current phones/wiring plugged into the Smart Hub 2. Other leading ISPs are also unclear on their FTTP phone solutions.

The BT Digital Voice promises better voice quality but it is based on VoIP so when people move to FTTP and there is no longer a copper DEL then they are free not only to choose their Broadband Provider but for many more also to choose their telephone service provider, have their number transferred and use existing corded phones via an ATA.

Please note that if the phone service is provided over FTTP that it will not work if the power fails unless the ONT/Router are protected by an Uninterrupted Power Supply and that the connected phones are also powered/charged. Important for making an emergency call if there is no alternative such as a mobile phone.

Your Internet Services and access to them should not be affected by any change in broadband technology as they are unrelated.

Are you still on a Business Account?

On a business account the BT Business Hub 5 is used simply for broadband and for business lines was sold in conjunction with BT Cloud Voice/Phone which utilises VoIP phones/pbx. It has no phone sockets.

If you are on a domestic account the BT Business Hub 5 does have a WAN port for the ONT but BT are more likely to send out a new FTTP version of the BT Smart Hub 2 (£9.99p&p) if you upgrade.

BT appear to be making the BT Digital Voice proprietary so it has to be their Router and their product portfolio. The cynic would say this is to up sell with BT Complete and Digital Voice. However to be fair it simplifies the massive changeover as the old Public Switched Telephone Service (PSTN) is removed. BT have a real technical and revenue challenge ahead and being embroiled in home wiring issues will make that worse.

If you go for another FTTP provider they may also send out a new router by default but the BT Business Hub 5 would work fine if not. You can use any provider of VoIP that provides you with an ATA for standard corded phones. Any compatibility with the TEA308 depends on whether the ATA will provide all the voltage and signals of a standard landline it is looking for which is the unknown.

Thanks you again - I really am in your debt. We are on a business account and the the Router has a red WAN socket, currently unused.

The reason for asking these questions here, is that BT do not seem to know what Openreach are doing. So I need impartial advice. Last November I was phoned by one of BT's sales team, offering full FTTP! When I accepted, a sub contractor arrived, with instructions to bring another copper line into our house. When Iexplained that I was expecting a fibre connection, he went away.

Sponsored Links
Regulation insists that BT is treated at arms length. BT along with other ISPs will be notified by OR at the same time when they are finished and the post code is declared as OR FTTP available.

No doubt the earlier call was the usual misunderstanding of "Fibre" even those that should know..

The reality is that if you remain on a Business line then you will be offered BT Business solutions. If you change to a residential service you will be offered BT Consumer products.

Alternatively you may consider a smaller ISP that also supplies both consumer and business that may be able to provide more personalised assistance such as Zen, or Aquiss but they also won't be able to proceed until the OR FTTP status is confirmed.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules