Sponsored Links

Heavily fluctuate Sky Q VDSL speeds, any ideas why ?

We have recently had a Sky VDSL connection installed at a site.

- At first the connection was complete dead (no dial tone) and took about a month to fix.

- Once fixed we where getting 26 down, 4 up using the Sky Q modem router.

- We then started using a Draytek 2860 as the router with the Sky Q modem router still be used as a modem and router (so essentially we had 2 routers for a short while), still getting 26 down, 4 up

- We then setup the Draytek 2860 to be the modem as well as the router and removed the Sky Q modem router complete, speeds dropped to about 20 down, 3 up

- We then moved the master telephone point to a new location extended using a piece of cat6. Still using the Draytek 2860 as a modem router, the speeds then dropped to 12 down, 2 up.

- Today after about 2 weeks of the slower speeds, and no other changes to hardware or config the connection has jumped to 36 down, 9 up.

There was roughly 2 weeks between each of the points above.

Any idea why the speeds have been fluctuating so much, and why they have suddenly "recovered" ?

The above speeds are all averages taken over the 2 week period and not just one off measurements.

Below is an screen shot from Open Reaches BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER. Dose the 36 down, 9 up im getting seem reasonable in relation to what Openreach is estimating is achievable ?

Link to image (sorry i dont know how to post them inline) https://imgur.com/a/s4P0zir

Last edited:
I've heard about other people seeing a speed drop when using the DrayTek 2860 as a VDSL2 modem on Sky. I'm not sure why that happens but maybe the chipset they use doesn't correctly support one of the features that has been implemented on Sky's network.

However I'm less surprised that you lost speed from moving the "master telephone point" via extension cable as generally you want to be subtracting cable, not adding extra length. The Master Socket should always be positioned as close as possible to where the twisted pair copper line enters your property for best results. You should then plug into that with the shortest run of cable possible.

As to why the speeds have jumped back up, it's hard to say. Maybe an Openreach engineer made a change somewhere, although I know that Sky has spent the past 2-3 months upgrading capacity across their network too so that could be a reason.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules