Sponsored Links

Help needed with Openreach Issue

Right, PSTN fault has been dealt with.

Sky have confirmed that they still cannot place the order because the database update is now showing FTTP which they do not offer, rather than FTTC being available, which looks like a database update error.

Therefore it's gone back to high level complaints.to look into. Just when I thought I was getting somewhere too.

My address is a gold address, I believe they come from Openreach's own records and the silver ones come from Royal Mail?

However whilst the address is right, the Royal Mail postcode checker is pointing to the wrong place, it's pointing to the other side of an intersection from what it actually is.

Doesn't seem any easy way to point that out on the form though, ad the address itself is correct. You can't plot it in right place and say confirm etc

There’s a free text box near the bottom of the form, put in a grid reference or use the what3words app to pinpoint your property.
A Gold key means your property is pinpointed by both systems and haas been verified as correct, a Silver key may have some discrepancies (for example your only narrowed down to a postcode or your property has been renamed, renumbered or the postcode altered.

Didn't have a great follow up call with Sky last night.

Rep I spoke to was adamant that despite what I was saying, that OR were never going to do work to convert someone from exchange only for one person, as it was just too much work for a network rearrangement etc. When I told her that is exactly what they have done she didn't believe me!!!

I explained all of this to the rep but her reaction was pretty much that 'these things never happen' and 'it's never just one person' and 'you must have been informed incorrectly'. I actually asked to speak to one of her colleagues because the conversation was not getting anywhere. Sadly nobody else was available. She is calling me back today but I may very well call earlier in the day and see if I can get someone else, because I've seen a lot of intransigence in this case, but that really took the biscuit.

I have had it confirmed last night that the OR live database is updated with the new details and I've since spoken to another ISP who have confirmed that they are able to place an order if need be, so this current impasse is caused by intransigence of the Rep last night, so if they're going to continue to play that game there's an easy solution.

Quick Update

Openreach HLC have now issued Sky with a comprehensive update outlining the order can be placed and the work that was carried out yesterday, confirming what I said.

Sky have now placed the order. Meanwhile HLC are going to then ensure that the FTTC order is completed once the order has been placed to make sure it happens.

Have to say since I've had my HLC contact change to a different person they've really pushed the boat out and I can see why people say that they get things done, he's been excellent and more than willing to push things along, both on the Openreach side and also on Sky's side.

Its far too late to suggest this now - but perhaps it will help someone else having issues.

Just order a 2nd line, when it is fitted, have it activated for fibre.
When everything is working, have the old line cancelled.

This is what I did when I have issues with Vispa screwing me over and handing my BT line to TalKTalk Wholesale - then refusing to give it back or release it for a new ISP.
Now I am not saying Vispa were being spiteful, but after 6 weeks of no internet, I wrote giving my contracted months notice - they cut my phone off the day the letter was received, AND charged me an extra month.

Whilst I was at work today, (ironically because I needed to upload huge files that were too slow to upload on ADSL2+) I got a call from Openreach on my mobile to say they are about to switch the line over to FTTC and if everything was okay to do so. Engineer said he'd do it and call me if there was any problems he could see, I had no call so I assumed everything worked correctly.

And it actually did! I'm now sync'd at 78224 downstream and 19999 upstream, which is really excellent. I was expecting less, but no doubt they made sure my line was high quality as possible after all the trouble I've had.

I just want to thank everyone on the forum, especially Mark for intervening in this case and helping me get a solution via Openreach on this case via escalation paths that has allowed me to get things kicked into action. I wouldn't have been able to get FTTC without the help I have been given here.

Also thanks to my case manager, SH at Openreach. He has only been on the case for just under a week, but he's handled all communications within Openreach, given Sky a nudge when they need it and, got engineers out all day to fix this on Monday, personally made sure the order went through on Tuesday and kept a close eye on it and got the final bit of work done today. Also to S at Sky, who took over the case earlier this week and has been exceptional and very customer focused.

Have a good weekend all, and thank you!

You must be relieved it's over :), but it really should never have taken them that long.

Hi everyone, I can see that I am not the only person who is very confused about this...

To summarise my situation, we are with NowTV who do not offer fiberoptic broadband contracts (I know, WHY did we join them?), but we have internet drop outs all the time. We have had about 7 openreach technicians out who have dug up the line at various points and checked poles and all sorts, to no luck. The line is probably just old an occasionally drops out. But it is super fast, 100mb/second when it's not dropping out! They wondered if that was the problem actually. We are not in a complaint battle with NowTV as they are evidently unable to solve our issue despite numerous attempts.

Anyway, we live out in the sticks, and the last technician who came round said that we have fibre to the cabinet waiting to go. He even took a photo (of what I think might actually be "the cabinet" although, I am not sure, and I have a reference number for it.) This technician said that we could potentially have fibre to the property if our service provider could request it.

The main issue is, our service provider doesn't sell fibre broadband, and so they will not request it. But when I called BT just then they said they are also not in a position to request it? SO I have been told to fill in the open reach 'fibre readiness form', which I have done. Do I just need to leave now TV and join BT for this to happen? The man from BT suggested no, but I can't see how this will move forward if my internet provider can't provide me with the service I am after...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This has been going on for about a year! And we are both teachers trying to teach from home with internet that keeps dropping out...

... it is super fast, 100mb/second when it's not dropping out!

... our service provider doesn't sell fibre broadband, and so they will not request it. ...
Something isn't quite right with the description of your problem.
It can't be 100Mbps unless it was FTTP or GFast - I think you may be confusing the WiFi connection speed with the broadband speed.
If you are using WiFi, can you try connecting using an ethernet cable instead? It may be that the issue is your WiFi dropping out rather than the broadband.

This appears to be the closest thing to my problem I've found so far. Routing issues. Only confirmed/discovered today, when we were 'responsible' for taking over the internet and phone line connected to a house down the road from our address!

Having spoken to Openreach this evening, they have no record of any line connections going into house down the road.... 'The Bung'. But have records of active line with internet and one stopped line into my house 'The Bungalow' same road/postcode... It looks like Openreach went wrong with their database at some point in the past 60 years (however long it existed)and lost track of their cables. My house has had a phone line for a long time, until it was stopped last october when owner passed away, but has never had internet. However the Bung (until today) had an active working well internet and phone connection.

Openreach have seemingly believed me telling them there is something really wrong with just one phone call (I'm just as shocked as anyone else) and have opened a complaint, and have said they will send engineers out to look at the routing and basically find out where their cables actually go.... which will hopefully correct their database and prevent any further accidents/inconveniences of either of us disconnecting or taking over the others lines, and allow us to install an internet connection on our actual line. But we shall see what they say....

As a side note. This isn't the first time I've tried to tell open reach there is something wrong, a couple of weeks ago we had an ISP cancel an order after open reach rejected it 3 times. When on chat to open reach they told me they couldn't see the problem (now explained by them being able to see an active line to the address) but ISP was told phone line was connected to different cabinet to the internet, which confused both me and the ISP as no current internet connection. When ordering with that ISP I supplied the number currently assigned to the line (after dialling 17070), whereas the ISP that went through with the line transfer that brought the big problem to light today I did not supply the number just the address.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5467)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1607)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules