Sponsored Links

Help needed with Openreach Issue

NeedHelp

Wonder if anyone can help me with an order that has been messed around by Openreach for pretty much whole of August and if they can give me any pointers

10th August
- Original activation date which was missed due to no engineer available.

17th August
- Openreach claimed AM that fault between exchange and cabinet prevented work and engineer was not trained to resolve them.

18th August
- Openreach state issue between exchange and cabinet or cabinet and property, some confusion over which one this was, appears to be between cabinet and property, underground cabling fault which should be fixed by 20th Aug.

20th August
- Sky inform me that Openreach have ran into a delay and it won't be done until 24th August

24th August
- Sky confirm that Openreach have given a go-live date of 26th August which they assure will not be missed.

26th August - Fourth Activation Date Missed./
- Engineer calls to say he's switched me over to FTTC and if it doesn't work now to call my ISP
- I wasn't disconnected and am still on ADSL2+ and not FTTC and still on G992 modulation.
- Sky confirm that Openreach haven't done the work but they don't know why as no update is issued and wonder if he has done the work to the right line.

At this stage that's three activation dates that Openreach have missed and a lot of time on the phone discussing this matter. I do not know if the engineer was dishonest earlier or just plain incompetent, but it looks pretty certain that he didn't switch the line or at least the correct one.

Sky have a strong belief that they may have lost track which cabinet the line is on and activated a card that doesn't point to the line, or even have even activated the wrong line, because all of this is very odd.

This [censored] has been going on the whole month now, and is starting to get rather tiresome.

Last edited:
Click my name on the left side and start a conversation. If you're willing to share your name, address and phone number (if you have one) then I can ask Openreach to take another look. Certainly it should not be taking this long to get you connected. Just do it before tomorrow as the bank holiday will make it difficult to get a reply.

Will do.

Latest update is that I imagined yesterday as Openreach filled that they missed appointment despite fact I spoke to engineer when he was attending it!! Just another excuse.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it needs the routing confirming, assuming your Sky equipment isn’t faulty.
They should book you an engineer to visit, either one of their own Bright Spark guys to confirm the kit is okay, or an OR engineer to trace it back to the cabinet and confirm it’s all connected properly.
It’s down to Sky to chase it up.

I've updated the top post as Sky have gone through the notes with me today and clarified some miscommunications from their side as well. They were late placing order which was why 3rd August wasn't met, so that's their fault, not Openreach, so wanted to correct the record on that.

Latest from Openreach following an intervention is that the routing is wrong and they are "working hard" on fixing it whatever that means. Don't hold much hope of it being resolved soon.

Does anyone have any idea of how long routing issues normally take to resolve?

Last edited:
So, I've had an update from Sky and once again it's a merry-go-round with Openreach.

Due to an issue with some systems, Openreach had to close the order down so have asked Sky to resubmit the order tonight and then they will shortly afterwards start the planning work for resolving the issue under the new request.

According to Openreach, they cannot start doing the planning work until the new order is in, which just stinks of playing for time. Does anyone else have any experience with this kind of thing?

If your line was built to the wrong cabinet, a cease and re-order is the only way of getting it built right, so no one is stalling or dragging their heels, The engineer will have informed Sky that this is what’s needed, trying to get them to do it is another issue though.

Sponsored Links
So you're seriously telling me I have to cease a perfectly good ADSL2+ line and do without a service for however long it takes Openreach to fix the issue, because of the fact that they, themselves, made an error years ago?

I'd have a bit more faith if there wasn't already three orders been placed before we got to this point, with something different said every time.

It’s likely three orders that haven’t been done right. It’s either the address system they used to place the order is wrong, leading the system to build the route incorrectly, a new cabinet has been added somewhere on the route and your address/pole/box wasn’t included in the original build migration plan for whatever reason, or the route for your line was incorrectly recorded, causing the system to keep building it to the wrong cabinet.

if you want it sorted, a cease and reprovide is the only way to do it.
The fact Sky didn’t place the orders correctly to start with makes me think they may have built the original order wrong and are just reusing those same details each time.

From what I gather it's a case of the fact a new cabinet was installed and the line wasn't migrated to it when it should have been. But it's never been explicitly stated that it is the case.

The cabinet in question was expanded in March by way of a second cabinet next to it, which may also be a factor. Sky have confirmed they have placed the order to the cabinet that is supposed to be correct for my line, which also agrees with the Openreach DSL checker and Openreach themselves.

The one thing that Sky have said on a re-occurring basis is they have only got vague info from Openreach when more specific info would make things a lot easier.

If your line wasn’t migrated, it will still be routed direct from the exchange or a different cabinet. Sky don’t get to pick and chose which one supplies you, so it sounds like a routing issue that needs resolving before it is reordered.
Have they sent an OR engineer to verify the correct routing and confirm your line does go through the closest cabinet?

Sponsored Links
The funny thing is that on my road, all of the places four doors down (slightly different postcode) and further are going to Cabinet 15 whilst the other five on the same stretch of land, before the road intersection, including mine, are showing up on Cabinet 1.

Now Cabinet 1 is by far the closest cabinet to me and if I do a search on my neighbours address that is showing on cabinet 15, they get far worse estimated speeds than I got, which makes sense as that cabinet is much further away.

This makes me wonder if Openreach would really cable up half of the 9 houses in a row to one cabinet and the other half besides them to another when they are all next to each other and built at the same time. The fact that the database suggests that when it is not being the case I guess could be a factor?

I'm due to get an update from Sky tomorrow, so I'm going to ask them for further details then as they hope to have them from OR.

That depends on the cable run. It’s not unheard of for a street to be fed on 2 different cables from different directions.
Don’t forget, when most of this went in the ground, broadband wasn't even thought of.
This is why there’s the huge push on fibre to the property now.
Where do you live?

Without giving too much away, the exchange is EAHAS, Hadleigh, Suffolk.

About 500m from the exchange, currently have attenuation of under 20db. and syncing at 19808 down and 1388 up on ADSL2+

Cabinet 1, which the BTW checker says I am on is about 175m away with Cabinet 15 approx 600m away, so I really hope I am not on that cabinet due to an error.

Sky have said they are not able to place a new Openreach order at present as the system they place the orders on is not letting them do so, meanwhile Openreach say until they place the order they cannot comment further.

I feel like banging my head against a brick wall.

Sky have said they are not able to place a new Openreach order at present as the system they place the orders on is not letting them do so, meanwhile Openreach say until they place the order they cannot comment further.

I feel like banging my head against a brick wall.
Can't you just try a different ISP? There's enough of them.

Sponsored Links
Can't you just try a different ISP? There's enough of them.

Unfortunately I can't risk a loss of service at the moment and also it's not my line, it's my father who has had major surgery recently and is shielding and I have to care for him as well as work from home when we do not have care.

I'll give Openreach a nudge and see if we can get something moving.

Sky tried to re-place place the order whilst they were on the phone to me last night since Openreach are currently refusing to discuss why the previous orders failed until another order is placed since they say they need an active order to do anything.

When I was on the phone to Sky, last night they said the public side was showing that FTTC was available but when trying to place the order they got an issue saying that FTTC was unconfirmed to the address so they could not proceed with the order that Openreach had asked them to place.

The Sky checker now says that FTTC cannot be provided to my address but if I put either of my next door neighbours addresses in it says that it can be provided. The BT checker continues to say service can be provided. I assume the BT checker is not live?

This is just to get another order placed, I've heard absolutely nothing to suggest that anything has been done to ensure that what caused the previous orders to fails has been rectified so even if an order was placed it would actually succeed.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5467)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1607)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules