Sponsored

Here Comes The Hotstepper! - 700Mhz NR Going Live

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
Good evening folks, so within minutes of the awards closing EE has started lighting up '5G' on Band N28 across some of its network...

The following have been taken from Twitter but show the new band active in the Redditch Town Centre by the looks of it,

Ez-r_Q5XsAE5SR1.jpeg
Ez-r-3DWEAMV3FP.jpeg

Credit: Pine @telecom_mast

So as would be expected from a 10mhz block of spectrum and only operating 2x2 there is not much to see on the bandwidth side of things, but does show just how quickly coverage can go live following these auctions,

I also imagine that many customers with supporting plans and phones will be quite chuffed to see the 5G icon on their devices.

However turning away from EE now and there's already more going on, O2 and Vodafone are planning to do some trading of spectrum in order to make contiguous blocks (put existing blocks of spectrum together) and I think its possible for more trading to start taking place.

I'll post a breakdown of spectrum layouts next....

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
Because there is no one at least in my location providing 5G.
OK, so why the jumping on the "I hate 3" bandwagon, its not an intelligent topic to be spamming threads that are aimed for discussion.

I've started a few discussion topics now and this consistent silliness keeps coming up :)

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
It’s ok to dislike them but you don’t need to rant on about it, sorry Zakir but your a good example of exactly what I’m on about

THB

Casual Member
I have been wondering whether EE or Vodafone will now approach Three in an attempt to create contiguous blocks of spectrum. Is it worth it to them? If so, what would Three want in return for giving their rivals contiguous blocks? It's certainly unlikely to be a straight swap!

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
If so, what would Three want in return for giving their rivals contiguous blocks?
The smart move would be to be acquiring more 4G spectrum, theirs a fair bit of spare spectrum up for grabs from operators should they want to part with it.

Potentially Three are holding a lot of cards, but how/if they play those cards is another question.

CarlO1460

Casual Member
Good evening folks, so within minutes of the awards closing EE has started lighting up '5G' on Band N28 across some of its network...

The following have been taken from Twitter but show the new band active in the Redditch Town Centre by the looks of it,

View attachment 1094View attachment 1095
Credit: Pine @telecom_mast

So as would be expected from a 10mhz block of spectrum and only operating 2x2 there is not much to see on the bandwidth side of things, but does show just how quickly coverage can go live following these auctions,

I also imagine that many customers with supporting plans and phones will be quite chuffed to see the 5G icon on their devices.

However turning away from EE now and there's already more going on, O2 and Vodafone are planning to do some trading of spectrum in order to make contiguous blocks (put existing blocks of spectrum together) and I think its possible for more trading to start taking place.

I'll post a breakdown of spectrum layouts next....
This is good to see. Just hope O2 do some upgrades to 5g near me as congestion is terrible.

What app is this by the way?

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
You can only use it though if you have a Qualcomm processor and are rooted.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
I did eventually find it, but not paying for it 😅

I'm s10 5g so not sure if it fits for that.
It’s an a free app and no it wouldn’t work with that as it’s not rooted at uses a Samsung in-house Exynos processor so if you downloaded it, it would do f*ck all anyways.

CarlO1460

Casual Member
It’s an a free app and no it wouldn’t work with that as it’s not rooted at uses a Samsung in-house Exynos processor so if you downloaded it, it would do f*ck all anyways.
Ah ok I did wonder. Thanks.

Currently do all my messing about with cellmapper though I feel it's very limited and doesn't tend to show me anything regarding any 5g connectivity, assuming because we use nsa so it can't differentiate.

Is there any other apps I could look at that would show this?

Feel like I'm reliant on mno websites otherwise which arent really technical or informative enough or give any insight where may be installed or activated near me.

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
assuming because we use nsa so it can't differentiate.
Your right there, there is little to no information for 5G on CellMapper and currently it doesn't do so well with plotting 5G coverage due to the use of NSA,

I did enquire will the guys that run CellMapper and they did confirm that NSA isn't 5G so won't record as such.

IgNG

Wonder if the 5G coverage maps will show which parts are n28 and which areas are n78?

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • TalkTalk £22.00 (*29.95)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: HYPERSPRING
  • Shell Energy £22.99 (*30.99)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: 12 Months of Norton 360
  • Plusnet £22.99 (*36.52)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Reward Card
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £24.00 (*44.00)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Offer Code: SPRUCE20
  • Vodafone £26.00 (*29.00)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £28.00 (*44.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £29.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: HYPERSPRING
  • TalkTalk £29.95 (*39.95)
    Speed: 145Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3218)
  2. BT (2927)
  3. Building Digital UK (1853)
  4. FTTC (1852)
  5. Politics (1835)
  6. Openreach (1751)
  7. Business (1592)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1376)
  9. FTTH (1359)
  10. Statistics (1353)
  11. 4G (1184)
  12. Fibre Optic (1129)
  13. Wireless Internet (1110)
  14. Virgin Media (1102)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1101)
  16. EE (787)
  17. Vodafone (778)
  18. TalkTalk (736)
  19. Sky Broadband (714)
  20. 5G (671)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules