Sponsored

Here Comes The Hotstepper! - 700Mhz NR Going Live

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
Wonder if the 5G coverage maps will show which parts are n28 and which areas are n78?
On CellMapper??

If so then, CellMapper does enable filtering between various bands but not all data is registering under the filters, for instance turning on the filter to show n78 over the UK drastically reduces the covering markers...

It's also worth noting Vodafone is using n1 in a lot of places now too and that isn't currently showing on the map or as a filter.

Band 28 has shown up in the 4G filter list however but I can't find anywhere where the coverage has been mapped.

If you mean the operators coverage maps, its unlikely they will share such information.

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
On the OEM network maps, they'll claim 100% 5G coverage on N28.
Well they claim its 5G sooooo..... why not I guess.

EE's coverage maps are something to take as an example when it comes to 5G coverage.... the maps make it look like dense and good signals all round but when looking closer its actually 1 out of 5 bars availability,

Though I'm going to do a couple of checks now to confirm this for myself but where they claim 5G coverage, no mast changes have actually happened...

But we could look at it with North American standards at mind, 4G was claimed over their when 3G got upgraded to DC-HSPA....

I feel quite confortable in saying the UK is going to see a lot more DSS before it starts seeing Massive MIMO NSA, and SA will be very far behind that.

Bubblesthefish6

ULTIMATE Member
From what I can gather, three seemingly prefer MaMIMO (which is good obviously) but EE seem to prefer 8T8R which is a shame as they are hindering their network in speedtests etc. The DC-HSDPA from north America comes to mind as you said. Vodafone and DSS is a ripoff.

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
From what I can gather, three seemingly prefer MaMIMO (which is good obviously) but EE seem to prefer 8T8R which is a shame as they are hindering their network in speedtests etc. The DC-HSDPA from north America comes to mind as you said. Vodafone and DSS is a ripoff.
I think all networks will have a mixture going on soon, and networks will jump to rollout n28 before n78 as it will be much easier/cheaper to integrate, specially in 2x2 configuration.

The reality is that monopoles are likely to see radio upgrades and not much more, new monopoles from Three seem to only be happening as part of their move to build its own physical infrastructure.

The DSS situation will be an interesting one to say the least but I do feel this will potentially play a part in the rollout of band/n28.

Also worth noting that devices only use NR in 4x4, so it will be a while before impact is felt on the network level, and again, DSS could pick up some pieces here too, with networks now having to switch out Huawei kit, they will no doubt be replacing radios with DSS capable kit, and again, many networks are limited for antenna space, so they'll also look at riding the older or multi-port panels harder and longer.

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
On the OEM network maps, they'll claim 100% 5G coverage on N28.
Just touching back on my findings with EE 5G and the coverage maps....

They make no sense, giving 2 out of 5 bars for 5G, right across the road from a newer phase 8 monopole mast which is has 2 sets of kit for 3 and EE 5G, I checked another EE 5G mast and it gave 3/5 bars on checker and I checked another mast which I'm not sure if 5G but was recently refitted with new kit and it gave 1/5 bars.

I don't think they will stand by their turds right now.

THB

Casual Member
The smart move would be to be acquiring more 4G spectrum, theirs a fair bit of spare spectrum up for grabs from operators should they want to part with it.

Potentially Three are holding a lot of cards, but how/if they play those cards is another question.
I thought the same. I'm not sure they are holding enough cards to get into the Band 7 or Band 38 arena, but they might be eyeing up EE's Band 20 block and Vodafone's Band 3 block to strengthen their holdings.

I think Band 20 in particular could be useful to pair with their current Band 32 for good coverage with a downlink potential better than their current Band 1 plus Band 3 whilst covering a larger area (assuming the backhaul exists to allow it to reach this potential!).

CarlO1460

Casual Member
I thought the same. I'm not sure they are holding enough cards to get into the Band 7 or Band 38 arena, but they might be eyeing up EE's Band 20 block and Vodafone's Band 3 block to strengthen their holdings.

I think Band 20 in particular could be useful to pair with their current Band 32 for good coverage with a downlink potential better than their current Band 1 plus Band 3 whilst covering a larger area (assuming the backhaul exists to allow it to reach this potential!).
In my home location of Handbridge, Chester, I was using Samsung Band Selector to allow only band 20 and band 32 which gave me around 80mbps all day long all around my area. This same mast does provide 5g coverage, I'm right on the edge and if I held my phone in the window I'd get 5g around 260mbps or randomly on and off walking down the street.

Heading into the city only allowed band 3 to give anything more than 10-60mbps.

Edit: using Band 3, Band 20 and Band 32 gave nothing more than 10mbps on a good day, so the 20+32 link works a treat.

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
Edit: using Band 3, Band 20 and Band 32 gave nothing more than 10mbps on a good day, so the 20+32 link works a treat.
This is an interesting comment, I shall have to try this out when I move back over to Three/Smarty....

Be interesting to understand why adding B3 to the mix screws over the B32...

Most times I've seen B32 in the mix is pair with B1+B3+B32, I wasn't aware Three was allowing B20 to be carrier aggregated, but with B32 it does make sense.

Thanks for the info :)

JitteryPinger

ULTIMATE Member
I'm not sure they are holding enough cards to get into the Band 7 or Band 38 arena, but they might be eyeing up EE's Band 20 block and Vodafone's Band 3 block to strengthen their holdings.
I agree, would be a silly move and likely cost them a lot with changing radio equipment,

I suppose EE could afford to lose B20 if it implemented B28 on LTE but I think that is unlikely to be honest,

Aquiring B3 from Vodafone could be a winner for them however, based on its locations on the spectrum, and based on the currently placements on Three's N78 on the spectrum Vodafone could well be in place to bump its bandwidth up.

Though looking at the spectrum up at 3400+mhz, theres a lot of rearranging that needs to happen if you ask me, with Three, Vodafone and EE all needing to do some swapping around and potnetially splitting Three's spare bandwidth up between them to all acheive a solid 100Mhz block of N78.

Sure its going to be a while though before that happens,

Reactions: THB

GavinAshford

ULTIMATE Member
In my home location of Handbridge, Chester, I was using Samsung Band Selector to allow only band 20 and band 32 which gave me around 80mbps all day long all around my area. This same mast does provide 5g coverage, I'm right on the edge and if I held my phone in the window I'd get 5g around 260mbps or randomly on and off walking down the street.

Heading into the city only allowed band 3 to give anything more than 10-60mbps.

Which Samsung phone have you got/were using for the testing?

THB

Casual Member
I suppose EE could afford to lose B20 if it implemented B28 on LTE but I think that is unlikely to be honest,
If EE did lose B20, would DSS not work for B28/N28 in order to use this spectrum for both LTE and 5G? I'm not sure how much throughput you lose from DSS, but the gain from having a contiguous block in 3400+ might be worth it to EE. Having said that, maybe Three would rather use DSS for their B28/N28 rather than give EE a contiguous block in 3400+...

potnetially splitting Three's spare bandwidth up between them to all acheive a solid 100Mhz block of N78.
I can't see Three agreeing to split their spare spectrum without getting something pretty good in return. As a consumer, I'd love for this to happen but do wonder how much Three would actually want for it.

CarlO1460

Casual Member
Which Samsung phone have you got/were using for the testing?
I've a Samsung s10 5g and generally toy the Samsung Band Selection app from play store.

Handy tool, also gives you additional settings, and the option to force wifi calling over WiFi only instead of waiting for the signal to disappear enough to activate WiFi calling - though I did notice O2 is the only provider that allows you to do this manually anyway.

The rest are forced to wait until signal depreciation.

GavinAshford

ULTIMATE Member
I've a Samsung s10 5g and generally toy the Samsung Band Selection app from play store.
The global version with Shannon modem (Exynos CPU)? If so, I don't believe it supports B32... at least its not reported to do so on cacombos

Edit: perhaps cacombos dont have enough logs to include B32. GSMAreana report the global version does indeed have B32
Will have to check that with them

GavinAshford

ULTIMATE Member
Yep looks like cacombos don't have enough log data to capture all combos for it - they only have logs from a Finnish device.

If you happen to have the know-how, and time, I'm sure they'd appreciate if you could supply the logs from a UK device too to expand their info.

CarlO1460

Casual Member
The global version with Shannon modem (Exynos CPU)? If so, I don't believe it supports B32... at least its not reported to do so on cacombos

Edit: perhaps cacombos dont have enough logs to include B32. GSMAreana report the global version does indeed have B32
Will have to check that with them
It for sure does; if I opt for just band 20 I get the standard sub 10mbps.

Band 3 depending on where I am I the house can reach 20-30mbps.

3 + 32 runs the same as 3 alone.

20 + 32 pushes 80-100.

3 + 20 + 32 in a certain location in my window gets 120+, but 3 + 32 don't do anything (so far anyway).

If I figure I can justify the money this week I will have a play.

Sadly stuck as a slow2 (O2) user for now unless I get bored of the poor speeds - generally at home most of the day as wfh and no life (lockdown).

The cacombos thing looks far beyond my geek set, but I will read more on it.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • NOW £22.00 (*32.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • TalkTalk £22.00 (*29.95)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £22.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: HYPERSPRING
  • Plusnet £22.99 (*36.52)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Ā£50 Reward Card
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £24.00 (*44.00)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Offer Code: SPRUCE20
  • Vodafone £26.00 (*29.00)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £28.00 (*44.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £29.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: HYPERSPRING
  • TalkTalk £29.95 (*39.95)
    Speed: 145Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3206)
  2. BT (2920)
  3. FTTC (1849)
  4. Building Digital UK (1847)
  5. Politics (1826)
  6. Openreach (1745)
  7. Business (1588)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1371)
  9. FTTH (1355)
  10. Statistics (1346)
  11. 4G (1181)
  12. Fibre Optic (1127)
  13. Wireless Internet (1107)
  14. Virgin Media (1101)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1095)
  16. EE (785)
  17. Vodafone (777)
  18. TalkTalk (735)
  19. Sky Broadband (714)
  20. 5G (664)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules