Sponsored Links

HG8240

Neilv

Hi!

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I just joined the forum... I have FTTP with BT Openreach and they have supplied the Huawei 4 port modem - the HG8240 I believe. I was wondering if this device supports PoE? And if it does, would it work when only powered by the BBU? Just looking at a potential backup solution should the electricity go down and also a way to do reduce wiring as my Google Wifi Puck should get enough juice from PoE.

Cheers!

Neil

Sponsored Links
FTTP ONTs are owned by the Network Provider and cannot be changed out like DSL modems They are unique and the network is protected against rogue ONTs being attached. I am not aware currently of any ISP ONTs that provide PoE. I agree ONTs and Routers capable of being powered or delivering PoE would be great to assist positioning issues. However the responsibility of power failure has passed from CP to ISP so ONTs are unlikely to have PoE or any BB going forward.

The BB in the Openreach ONT is not to keep the broadband up it is to keep the Phone line (FVA) up. So even if you were to achieve powering another device from the ONT in some way if the power does go down so will your network.

The only solution is to acquire a UPS. I use a APC BE700G so it has standard 13amp sockets. This is located centrally (in my case with the router) and supplies power to WIFI APs using PoE injectors. Unfortunately an effective UPS is bulky and needs hiding. The only alternative would be smaller units at each location. It really depends how complex your home network is and how much you want to keep running.

Some small devices like Amazon Echo can be protected by third party power pack accessories.

So to protect your network you will need a UPS to power protect ONT, Router, APs and key devices. Use PoE injectors to power any PoE compliant devices from the centrally UPS protected power.

FTTP ONTs are owned by the Network Provider and cannot be changed out like DSL modems They are unique and the network is protected against rogue ONTs being attached. I am not aware currently of any ISP ONTs that provide PoE. I agree ONTs and Routers capable of being powered or delivering PoE would be great to assist positioning issues. However the responsibility of power failure has passed from CP to ISP so ONTs are unlikely to have PoE or any BB going forward.

The BB in the Openreach ONT is not to keep the broadband up it is to keep the Phone line (FVA) up. So even if you were to achieve powering another device from the ONT in some way if the power does go down so will your network.

The only solution is to acquire a UPS. I use a APC BE700G so it has standard 13amp sockets. This is located centrally (in my case with the router) and supplies power to WIFI APs using PoE injectors. Unfortunately an effective UPS is bulky and needs hiding. The only alternative would be smaller units at each location. It really depends how complex your home network is and how much you want to keep running.

Some small devices like Amazon Echo can be protected by third party power pack accessories.

So to protect your network you will need a UPS to power protect ONT, Router, APs and key devices. Use PoE injectors to power any PoE compliant devices from the centrally UPS protected power.
Are you sure this is the case? Not in the UK but I've used different ONTs and they didn't ever require any kind of configuration - just the PPPoE settings on the router itself as usual.

I am happy to be corrected but certainly for GPON it should be part of the security of the network (broadcast down) and why some experience issues on OR FTTP provision. In addition is the technical compatibility make/generation.

Thanks for your replies. That helps a lot. I had a feeling the openreach ONT BBU was only for phone lines.... since when was that more important than net connectivity?! ;) I think for my 2 user wfh/netflix setup a UPS would be overkill. I was just thinking of PoE for a bit of a cheap to setup backup/tinker. Great forum btw :)

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules