Sponsored Links

Hi to all

Hi folks. Please be gentle with a newcommer to U.K. broadband. For the past 13 years we, SWMBO and I, have lived and loved the life here in the south of France near the lovely old Cité of Carcassonne. Now we are moving back to Blighty and North Wilts. I am trying to sort out everything from the floor up in the ISP and phones markets.

Here we are on Orange France and apart from being on copper cables and too far from the exchange to get more than about a meg of upload speed we have a good service and VoIP. We have had this for several years and it is fairly standard here. It is cheap and very effecient.

My question is, is there anything like this in the U.K. ? Any info would be great as at the moment I am going round in circles and am going to start banging my head against a wall as a way of a change!

As for mobile phones, we are with Free.fr and pay 2€/month for 2 hours of calls, unlimited texts and I have no idea what internet. I am one of those strange people who use a camera to take photos, a computer to access online and a phone to make phone calls. I have a sim free phone and at the moment I have a giffgall sim ready to go in my Motorola MotoG phone when we hit U.K. soil. Once again, any ideas would be greatfully received.

Superfast broadband (24Mbps+) capable fixed line services should be available to around 94% of premises in the United Kingdom, but it does depend upon exactly where you will be moving to as rural areas can still be problematic.

We have a basic guide that may help but this is now a bit out-of-date and will be updated again in a couple of months, although the information is still relevant (each ISP has its own availability checker so you can try different areas to see what might be available).

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/01/ispreviews-pick-top-uk-home-broadband-isps-2017.html

As for mobile operators, the main players are EE, Three UK, O2 and Vodafone but there are also lots of smaller virtual operators like giffgaff etc. EE tends to deliver the best network performance and 4G coverage, while Three UK is usually among the cheapest of the big players.

I am sorry about the delay in replying, but I didn't find the subscribe option earlier?

Thank you for the info Mark, I had a look at your link and after a bit of thinking, not easy at my age! I decided to go with BT and the 30GB Infinity Lite? We have no idea how much data we use as it is unrestricted for almost everyone here in France and for 7€/month we also have a VoIP phone with 100 countries and no time limit for the complete free anytime calls. So the U.K has come as a bit of a shock!!!

Next now is to get a sat dish fitted to our new, to us, home??

Sponsored Links
If you're going to get Satellite TV then why not go with Sky and get one of their TV and broadband bundles?

We have a Sky +HD box at the moment and I haven't been able to find anything that doesn't have SkyQ in it? I will have to contact them and find out? We are quite happy with the +HD box and would not want to change it. Especially as it's a purchase and not a rental.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5467)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1607)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules