Sponsored Links

How bad is talktalk cable?

Talktalk cable? Do you mean TalkTalk's broadband service today? Well they still don't appear to do too well in reviews and quality surveys, although as ever it depends on a lot of factors and many people do get a good service. The risk of not getting a good service would however appear to be higher.

Performance-wise they are no better or worse than all other mass market providers such as BT, Sky, Plusnet etc with the possible exception of Vodafone. Their poor reputation is largely down to poor phone support (overseas based) & previous data hacks. Btw I was with TalkTalk from 2008-2017 and never had any issues. Got line speeds 24/7 and any support requests (such as switching off DLM on my ADSL2+ line) were satisfactorily done via their support forums, which have UK based staff.

Sponsored Links
Pretty much any service relying on the BT backbone or last mile copper is going to have roughly the same service reliability.
It is what happens when something goes wrong that the difference between a cheap provider and a more expensive one shows.

My experiences of what is now known as EE.

Back in the ADSL days, strange fault on my line, my ISP quickly diagnosed a cabinet fault, got BTOR out to change the faulty Fujitsu equipment with a week.
Reading the tech news at the time, BTOR had a shed-load of faulty Fujitsu's failing all over the country.
My sister starting getting exactly the same strange behaviour on her then Orange - now EE, service.
Being a complete dunce when it comes to electronics, she asked me to call in the fault.
Called them, went through their "have you tried switching it off and on" guff, explained the fault, noted the Fujitsu issue and that I had had the same fault on my line and changing the cabinet DSLAM had fixed it.

They sent her a new frog* modem (green and lumpy - looked like a frog)

Obviously didnt make any difference, so she called and complained again, went through the guff, got sent ANOTHER frog modem.

This went on for nearly TWO YEARS, until she had a large carddboard box of frogs and newer wireless modems.
By this time 3 other neighbours had also been reporting the exact same fault to Orange and getting the same boxes of frogs.

Just around the 2nd anniversary, a BTOR engineer turned up after someone on a different ISP had reported the fault, and changed the DSLAM.

Being a tightwad, even though the service support had been shocking, she stuck with them because they gave her a" good deal".

* Possible origin of the saying "Madder than a box of frogs"

Talktalk cable? Do you mean TalkTalk's broadband service today? Well they still don't appear to do too well in reviews and quality surveys, although as ever it depends on a lot of factors and many people do get a good service. The risk of not getting a good service would however appear to be higher.

I have to say that my experience has been that TalkTalk's broadband was absolutely fine, and I had 2 occasions to use phone support (neither of which were faults incidentally) and I was surprised by how good they actually were. They certainly have been better than my expectation.

I was still interested in the weather when I wrote for advice but I hafe gone off the boil now President Trump is controlling it.
So now I just need something for occasionally keeping in touch from time to time.
I can't even be bothered with US politics so much although it still is a lot more interesting than the UK version. But that is only because the US is opposed to Echelon.

I was still interested in the weather when I wrote for advice but I hafe gone off the boil now President Trump is controlling it.
So now I just need something for occasionally keeping in touch from time to time.
I can't even be bothered with US politics so much although it still is a lot more interesting than the UK version. But that is only because the US is opposed to Echelon.
What does the weather, President Trump & US politics have to do with TalkTalk being good/bad?

Sponsored Links
Classic Weatherlawyer ramble :) .

I must say that I am surprised that you all did not realise this. Maybe I am expecting too much from people?

Hi Weather, you do have a bit of a reputation for randomly posting bits from your Ham radio discussions into ISPR threads.

More than once I have reread entire threads just to figure out if your post was a reply to something 4-5 pages back, or a random miss-paste from HamRadio4Us.

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules